Nintendo Is So Not Screwing Around With 3DS Piracy

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
For what I'm seeing on the 3DS the only thing that really seems like a chunky single player experience is MGS3D. It's a long game and it does have reason to go back. It's definitely chunkier than the other games (yes, that includes OoT). And when it comes to the whole DS library against the PSP library, I've felt there are games that, purely on a single player, can take like 50 hours for the story. I'm not even halfway through Valkyria Chronicles II and I have like 20+ hours of game time. It's enormous. Most DS games I can kick out in a couple of hours and delete them off my cart. Disposable fun isn't bad now and then but it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

And here comes yet another Guild and Vamp debate.
Why not, having fun?
tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure it 50/50 with (ok 40/60) ds games you can put a lot of hours into, but we are talking about the 3DS. 3DS can hold much more
than ds, so you may see or least similar title coming from the psp to 3DS which may or may not be share with the psp2.

So if a game was identical between the 3DS and psp2, you would pick the psp2 wouldn't you?

Plus it isn't just about story pack action games/rpg. I'm pretty sure you can easily get 50+ hours on racing games and some other categories.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
This topic is SO offtopic.

I still call Nintendo on this. I think, just like every other system they said not to use unauthorised damn software/hardware for, they are just giving a warning. I don't think they will ACTUALLY brick systems, that is illegal in too many damn places.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Why not, having fun?
tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure it 50/50 with (ok 40/60) ds games you can put a lot of hours into, but we are talking about the 3DS. 3DS can hold much more
than ds, so you may see or least similar title coming from the psp to 3DS which may or may not be share with the psp2.

So if a game was identical between the 3DS and psp2, you would pick the psp2 wouldn't you?

Plus it isn't just about story pack action games/rpg. I'm pretty sure you can easily get 50+ hours on racing games and some other categories.

I didn't really want to get way into this because it's way off topic so I'll post this and leave it here.

It's not a matter of space, it's a matter of effort. Kingdom Hearts games on the DS are large (256MB, which was previously the largest size for DS carts) but still had limited gameplay time and even more limited selection of levels because they just packed them with incredibly useless cutscenes. On the other hand, Puzzle Quest: CotW (which is like 100 MB or so on the PSP if you compress it, I forget how big the DS size is) has a lot of gameplay time but is a smaller size regardless.

I'd probably pick up a multiplat on the NGP over the 3DS because I'll pretty much be owning a NGP before I get a 3DS and the NGP has dual analog sticks and better graphics (and for me, I'll take better graphics over 3D any day).

Honestly, even games that have a lot of content for racing games (like Burnout) don't play nearly as long and it suffers from a lot of repetition. At least in a long RPG game you'll (hopefully) have a compelling story to make you forget about the repetition as well as some nice boss battles to look forward to.

But that's all, I'm getting off topic.

On topic: Personally, I just don't see anything terribly wrong if Nintendo were to brick systems intentionally if illegal activity is confirmed.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Why not, having fun?
tongue.gif

Racing games like F-Zero GX takes months to complete because of the difficulty of the game.
Even if some DS games are short (to beat) it's sometimes all about mastering them or getting 100%.
I mean there are many games on GameBoy for example that I still enjoy and haven't completed 100% yet. If I would just like Guild, just beat the game's story and then never come back to it, I'm probably not enjoying the game to it's fullest.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
On topic: Personally, I just don't see anything terribly wrong if Nintendo were to brick systems intentionally if illegal activity is confirmed.
The issue is that Nintendo didn't state piracy or anything illegal (it's people like you jumping to conclusions), just unauthorized.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
"Internet-happy" is your excuse? Not all people play wifi/used the internet, you don't need to either.

He's saying systems are becoming too reliant on the internet (online play, some cheap online features) nowadays. Like continued gameplay is more based on how good a game's multiplayer is than anything else it seems. It's quite rare to find a single player game that'll you be playing a lot nowadays (only things I've found that compelling are open world games like Fallout 3/New Vegas and ESIV and soon V).

That's what I believe he said. And there's probably other reasons he's not too keen on the 3DS, just guessing.
That only a opinion and imo there is a lot of good single player games that you can play by yourself
and with multiplayer it just make the game better. Beside what wrong with gaming bringing gamers
closer together?

Of course you said that at the end....
mellow.gif

For what I'm seeing on the 3DS the only thing that really seems like a chunky single player experience is MGS3D. It's a long game and it does have reason to go back. It's definitely chunkier than the other games (yes, that includes OoT). And when it comes to the whole DS library against the PSP library, I've felt there are games that, purely on a single player, can take like 50 hours for the story. I'm not even halfway through Valkyria Chronicles II and I have like 20+ hours of game time. It's enormous. Most DS games I can kick out in a couple of hours and delete them off my cart. Disposable fun isn't bad now and then but it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

And here comes yet another Guild and Vamp debate.

I wouldn't call anything he's involved in a "debate".

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Rydian said:
Guild McCommunist said:
The issue is that Nintendo didn't state piracy or anything illegal (it's people like you jumping to conclusions), just unauthorized.

Even if "illegal" activity is confirmed, they need to go through the same channels as everyone else. Essentially destroying one's property is pure vigilantism.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
But unauthorized does extend to things like flashcarts. It's assumed.Yes, but it also concerns things like extended battery packs, and shell replacements (and for consoles, third-party controllers).

QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Mar 9 2011, 05:20 PM) Even if "illegal" activity is confirmed, they need to go through the same channels as everyone else. Essentially destroying one's property is pure vigilantism.
Yes, but many people don't believe that, so it's better to point out what the actual notice says and concerns.

"If you pirate that can brick your system" sounds good to an anti-pirate.
"If you use a third-party battery or controller the can brick your system" does not sound good.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
Why not, having fun?
tongue.gif

I didn't really want to get way into this because it's way off topic so I'll post this and leave it here.

It's not a matter of space, it's a matter of effort. Kingdom Hearts games on the DS are large (256MB, which was previously the largest size for DS carts) but still had limited gameplay time and even more limited selection of levels because they just packed them with incredibly useless cutscenes. On the other hand, Puzzle Quest: CotW (which is like 100 MB or so on the PSP if you compress it, I forget how big the DS size is) has a lot of gameplay time but is a smaller size regardless.

I'd probably pick up a multiplat on the NGP over the 3DS because I'll pretty much be owning a NGP before I get a 3DS and the NGP has dual analog sticks and better graphics (and for me, I'll take better graphics over 3D any day).

Honestly, even games that have a lot of content for racing games (like Burnout) don't play nearly as long and it suffers from a lot of repetition. At least in a long RPG game you'll (hopefully) have a compelling story to make you forget about the repetition as well as some nice boss battles to look forward to.

But that's all, I'm getting off topic.

I've got 40+ hours on Dragon Quest IV on DS
36 hours on FFIV on my DS
20 hours on Sands of Destruction on the DS
100+ hours on Mario Kart DS
80 + on Clash of Heroes
I have to say Pokemon? TWEWY?

Ninokuni has 512MB. And, probably, more than 30 hours of gameplay just there. Just 1 hour into it and it's better than ANYTHING I'VE PLAYED ON MY PSP.

I don't get the point: the DS has as many (if not more) games with depth. There's a difference between depth and "console" experience. The PSP games resemble more a console experience, but that doesn't mean it have more depth than the DS.

About your On-Topic, gadly you said personally, because this is bullshit and will get them lots and lots of problems on the future. Of course, if this was true.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
About your On-Topic, gadly you said personally, because this is bullshit and will get them lots and lots of problems on the future. Of course, if this was true.
Maedhros...I have a good feeling you aren't too good when it comes to ethics, are you?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
machomuu said:
Maedhros said:
Maedhros...I have a good feeling you aren't too good when it comes to ethics, are you?
I don't have to. I use common sense and think/research a little. Nintendo can't brick a console for any reason.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
I wouldn't call anything he's involved in a "debate".
Completely uncalled for.
glare.gif

Some already share my views, unlike someone who had no views and troll the thread.

Anyway to stay on-topic, it did say unauthorized which mean ,if this was true,
they can brick you 3DS for just having unauthorized 3rd party.

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rydian said:
Hakoda said:
Wow. Not running flashcards on that thing till its cracked as open as the Wii.
The bricking is false.

Can you link me to the source, please? I only knew about nintendo commenting on the 3DS anti-piracy measures.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ssx9 said:
Rydian said:
Hakoda said:
Wow. Not running flashcards on that thing till its cracked as open as the Wii.
The bricking is false.
Can you link me to the source, please? I only knew about nintendo commenting on the 3DS anti-piracy measures.
There is no source, that's the point.

Nintendo has not mentioned bricking at all. These are rumors coming out of other sites, and it's already been shown Nintendo has no legal right to brick.

The original "source" is the same type of warning against using unauthorized modifications that has been included with consoles since the NES (and possibly before that). However somebody decided to actually READ the EULA this time and got scared.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well the DS piracy was drag and drop .
all you did was update and you're good .

the 3DS looks good , but i will wait for a lineup of games that interest me to be released first .
unlike the DS , the 3DS will start slow , and i doubt most games i am expecting won't be released / that good .

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Do you remember when the DSi and its ability to update firmware was spelling the end of the DS flashcart era? Me neither. The scare came and went far too quickly.
tongue.gif

"The Nintendo terms of agreement clearly state that it is possible that the 3DS might not be able to boot up after firmware updates if unapproved or illegal devices are used in the 3DS." - use of unauthorized devices might brick the 3DS. Is this new?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    whoever made flog cared about NES golf
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    i brung that up because i remembered it randomly and it has become my hyperfixation
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like...