Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Rereading my post, I noticed my wording was shit lol.

I mean making their big games (Smash, Sun and Moon, etc) for mobile, porting the big games to mobile plataforms goes against making gaming consoles, and the smartphone plataform just isn't made for games like these. They should do only your usual mobile games, AKA small, bite sized games they can quickly and cheaply make.

I disagree.

The only true reason why it keeps being that way, is because Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft (along with other major gaming developer companies), do not want to become "second" to Apple and Google, by selling on their stores.

Smartphones and tablets, have more than the power required for even heavy duty games, as we've seen in multiple cases.

Nintendo and Sony can fight this all they want, but the reality is very clear: That doesn't work anymore.

No casual gamers buy PS Vitas and 3DS's. If Nintendo/Sony go for another proprietary handheld (not running Android), then I guarantee you they will flop everywhere, except in Japan. Much like the current situation.

There's a reason why Nintendo wants it's casual market back. Because that's when they made real money. The Wii is a fantastic example of that. Fact of the matter, is that the majority of the people who bought the Wii, wasn't for Zelda or Monster Hunter. The majority of people bought the Wii because it had casual / party / bowling games, that appealed to them, especially with the motion controls at the time.

Even my girlfriend has a Wii. The only 2 games she has are Mario Party and Mario Kart.

So, what do casuals buy these days to get their gaming needs? Smartphones. Because there's loads of games for them. There's no need to buy 3DS's and Vita's.

So why do Nintendo and Sony need to start developing for Android / iOS? Because that's where the casual gamers are AND the hardcore gamers aswell. Everyone has smartphones.

As soon as that happens, then finally, the industry can start focusing on making better smartphones and tablets, adapted to games. Because now, even the big gaming companies are in it. No longer would the Android / iOS market be ONLY crap half assed casual games, there would ALSO be full blown Zelda's and Halo's for them.

What in god's name is so hard to understand about this?

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
There's a reason for this. Phones and tablets are NOT optimized for gaming, despite any and all complaints. Phones and tablets can only feasibly do quick, small and cheap games properly, as they require little resources and optimization.

People won't buy a $600 phone so they can run games better or run more of them, that's just ludicrous. It only works for PC gaming since most PC gamers are just that, gamers who are willing to invest on building and upgrading PCs for gaming, or people who simply have more powerful general purpose PCs, and even then, the PC format has it's share of trouble.

Standard gaming plataforms, however, are optimized for their software and will always run it as they are meant to do, gaming plataforms also afford better ways for innovation and are easier to program for (as it's a single plataform with static OS and hardware specifications) compared to the many smartphones, smartphone OSes and especially smartphone hardwares and specifications.

Mobile plataforms simply aren't made for heavy gaming, that much is certain. However, Nintendo can make a hybrid plataform like the NX seems to be, merging the bigger home console-quality games with bite-sized phone games on a handheld package, thus mostly nulling the smartphones main advantage (portability) while giving the experience people want when they look for games (different games) on something made for them. Unlike smartphones, you can just plug and play on a gaming console and do it perfectly, as they will be made exactly for the plataform.

Gaming is an entirely different beast altogether from watching movies and browsing the web, it's continually evolving and innovating, meanwhile, smartphones are static and impossible to customize freely, removing the advantage that makes PC gaming feasible, while also being too varied and simply different for the big companies to optimize for each and every variation, unlike gaming plataforms.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just scanned the conversation, but are you saying you wouldn't buy an handheld that can work as a phone too at, let's say, $250?
Yes, that price is possible. Mobile chips have gotten that good and we don't need the strongest chip there is. You can always cancel or move your sim card and just
have a regular handhand.

Nintendo make some kind of successful Xperia Play (preferably with a game slot) is a much better alternative than dropping all their resources on phone, with the expectation of most people not carry around game controls. Most games are just going be parts of bigger games with micro transactions up the wazoo.

Imo we NEED a big companies or even companies to have successful gaming phones. Not only will it fill a space in the market barely being used, it would give handhelds a better safeguard for the future.
I rather them merge, than lose gaming focus handhelds and actually convenient game controls in the future.
What? No, i'm stating the complete opposite look at my posts in the previous pages of this thread, and look at this thread as well that i began.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? No, i'm stating the complete opposite look at my posts in the previous pages of this thread, and look at this thread as well that i began.
Sorry, I got mix up with Futurdreamz post.

Want to clarify that we don't need the strongest chip, just a modern one. Not everyone buy flagship phones and giving them too much power may raise games cost anyway.
Randomly pointing out, that 3DS doesn't literally only play games.

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I honestly have been wondering that for the last 5 pages of posts we've been posting..

And @FrozenDragon150 / @Futurdreamz, one of you or both of you keep mentioning the XPERIA Play that failed. Do you mean the phone that's 8 years old and had 512MB for ram and 400MB for storage? The phone that only supported 854x480 resolution with a crappy 1GHz single-core snapdragon processor and was instantly outdated by the Samsung Galaxy 2 upon it's release? Because if so, ARE YOU honestly trying to compare that device to today's tablets/phones that support 4k, NFC, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, quad-core processors, with an actual dedicated GPU and can hook up to a tv?? The reason Xperia Play failed was very simple, it was an idea ahead of its time, it also didn't really get the proper advertisement AND to top it off Sony went into this idea with half-assed hardware that was already outdated by the time the phone was released. LET US NOT FORGET that this is Sony we're talking about, they don't run/impact the handheld industry like Nintendo does with all the titles they can offer!

People won't buy a $600 phone so they can run games better or run more of them, that's just ludicrous.
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? Almost everyone in the US owns either an iPhone or a Galaxy phone of some sort, go look up sale figures in the USA alone for the iphone. HERE's THE KICKER, all the iphones/Galaxy phones were $600+ with a contract. Not trying to be rude, but just because you're not buying 600$ phones in your personal life doesn't mean everyone else is not, as for the rest of what you said in your quote, i'm not going to even bother..but i'll leave a chart to maybe help you understand how small the console race truly is:
This chart was made at the end of Q1 of 2015 and the source of the WallStreet article is here:
Smartphone-upgrades-GRAPHIC-1-531x369.png

(That top part is the console race)

EDIT:
Sorry, I got mix up with Futurdreamz post.
No problem

Anyways back to the NX, more news/evidence were found on the NX from this link which was a forum posted in back in MAY that neogafers stumbled upon. The old may post goes hand in hand with the Eurogamer statements about the NX.

images

Last edited by Roxe__,

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I honestly have been wondering that for the last 5 pages of posts we've been posting..

Anyways back to the NX, more news/evidence were found on the NX from this link which was a forum posted in back in MAY that neogafers stumbled upon. The old may post goes hand in hand with the Eurogamer statements about the NX.

images

THIS video seems really interesting, I wonder how they're trying to implement phones to work with this NX!

Last edited by romeoondaline,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

You. Me. Your children, because you teach them that way.

For 90% of the world, it's the other way around. Casuals will game on what is available on the app store / play store.

They're not going to waste 200$ on a 3DS.

You don't seem to know how modern day parents really are, do ya? Parents nowadays buy their kids iPhones, iPads, 3DS and other expensive gadgets to keep them silent and also, as their own nanny.

exdeath255

Trophies
Website
www.com
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree.

The only true reason why it keeps being that way, is because Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft (along with other major gaming developer companies), do not want to become "second" to Apple and Google, by selling on their stores.

Smartphones and tablets, have more than the power required for even heavy duty games, as we've seen in multiple cases.

Nintendo and Sony can fight this all they want, but the reality is very clear: That doesn't work anymore.

No casual gamers buy PS Vitas and 3DS's. If Nintendo/Sony go for another proprietary handheld (not running Android), then I guarantee you they will flop everywhere, except in Japan. Much like the current situation.

There's a reason why Nintendo wants it's casual market back. Because that's when they made real money. The Wii is a fantastic example of that. Fact of the matter, is that the majority of the people who bought the Wii, wasn't for Zelda or Monster Hunter. The majority of people bought the Wii because it had casual / party / bowling games, that appealed to them, especially with the motion controls at the time.

Even my girlfriend has a Wii. The only 2 games she has are Mario Party and Mario Kart.

So, what do casuals buy these days to get their gaming needs? Smartphones. Because there's loads of games for them. There's no need to buy 3DS's and Vita's.

So why do Nintendo and Sony need to start developing for Android / iOS? Because that's where the casual gamers are AND the hardcore gamers aswell. Everyone has smartphones.

As soon as that happens, then finally, the industry can start focusing on making better smartphones and tablets, adapted to games. Because now, even the big gaming companies are in it. No longer would the Android / iOS market be ONLY crap half assed casual games, there would ALSO be full blown Zelda's and Halo's for them.

Imagine in 10 years being able to play cod or bf on your phone. Wifi would be everywhere and free....You could play with someone sitting on your commute to work...FUCK...lol

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a reason for this. Phones and tablets are NOT optimized for gaming, despite any and all complaints. Phones and tablets can only feasibly do quick, small and cheap games properly, as they require little resources and optimization.

People won't buy a $600 phone so they can run games better or run more of them, that's just ludicrous. It only works for PC gaming since most PC gamers are just that, gamers who are willing to invest on building and upgrading PCs for gaming, or people who simply have more powerful general purpose PCs, and even then, the PC format has it's share of trouble.

Standard gaming plataforms, however, are optimized for their software and will always run it as they are meant to do, gaming plataforms also afford better ways for innovation and are easier to program for (as it's a single plataform with static OS and hardware specifications) compared to the many smartphones, smartphone OSes and especially smartphone hardwares and specifications.

Mobile plataforms simply aren't made for heavy gaming, that much is certain. However, Nintendo can make a hybrid plataform like the NX seems to be, merging the bigger home console-quality games with bite-sized phone games on a handheld package, thus mostly nulling the smartphones main advantage (portability) while giving the experience people want when they look for games (different games) on something made for them. Unlike smartphones, you can just plug and play on a gaming console and do it perfectly, as they will be made exactly for the plataform.

Gaming is an entirely different beast altogether from watching movies and browsing the web, it's continually evolving and innovating, meanwhile, smartphones are static and impossible to customize freely, removing the advantage that makes PC gaming feasible, while also being too varied and simply different for the big companies to optimize for each and every variation, unlike gaming plataforms.
On the point of a $600 smartphone, isn't that what the Galaxy lineup essentially is?

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You don't seem to know how modern day parents really are, do ya? Parents nowadays buy their kids iPhones, iPads, 3DS and other expensive gadgets to keep them silent and also, as their own nanny.

That may be the case for many children. But fact of the matter, is that's not what I see. In my neighborhood alone, not a single child knows what the hell a 3DS is. Neither do their parents. Hence why when I pull my 3DS out in the coffee shop while grabbing a cig, they all flock around me.

One thing about these kids though, that they do all have: Smartphones and Tablets.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Imagine in 10 years being able to play cod or bf on your phone. Wifi would be everywhere and free....You could play with someone sitting on your commute to work...FUCK...lol

Precisely. That's not only the idea, but it is also where it will head to, regardless of if we like it or not, because that's where the profit is.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Really hope Nintendo's not going forward with the right analogue stick on the top again. It's bad enough they did it on the Wii U GamePad and WUPC but then again, it might be a Japanese-thing as to what they find more comfortable for their hands.
Uh, I do find it comfortable

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm honestly not going to bother anymore if people in this day and age still do not get it, then they never will.
I personally (and a huge amount of people too) dislike when a device gets slow. Bloated devices get slow. Consoles, dedicated handhelds are designed not to be slowed, they're optimised for gaming. My PSP is as fast as it was when I got it - my phone is not. My phone has a lot of non-gaming related data bloating it. Also.... Keeping work and games separate is a must.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I disagree.

What in god's name is so hard to understand that you have a ton of different smartphones and gaming experience on a smartphone is not very good in general? I'd never give up on my phone for a "gaming optimised" one, nor would I give up on a handheld for a "phoning optimised" one.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Plus, on my 3DS once my battery dies after 5+ hours of playing I can just put it away until I can charge it. If I tried to play a game on a smartphone, it would heat up and the battery will die sooner, leaving me with no means of contacting others.

Nintendo has no interest in making or focusing on devices where gaming isn't the only priority or they don't have full control over the environment. The Wii and Wii U don't even play DVDs or BDDs, despite almost having the correct hardware. If Nintendo made an Android smartphone they would give up nearly all their control to Google, who can turn around and force an update that breaks most games from playing. The only way I can see Nintendo even considering a smartphone is if they used Blackberry 10 (good security, the only form of hacking is swapping out uncrackable modules like the radio driver for older or newer versions, and can be locked down tighter than a nun's knickers), but even then you wouldn't buy it because it doesn't have Instagram.

Fuck it, I'm going to see if I can find that bigass wall of text I posted somewhere so we can end this discussion.

The higher end phones can't even compete with the higher end phones. The smartphone market is stuck in a rat race where all the phones are barely distinguishable from each other and the more unique features get generally ignored. And even if you make the perfect phone, it's obsolete and garbage within three months. There's absolutely no money to be made.

You never specified the OS. If Nintendo makes a custom OS or even forks android, the phone will be DOA. Blackberry and Amazon have learned the cold harsh reality that not having access to the Google Play app store will kill your phone, even if it's perfectly capable of running Android apps. While being able to play Mario on a phone might be nice, it's a communications tool front and center. That means phonecalls text messages whatsapp line instagram facebook knowlegetree and a million other apps that are the One Thing that someone or another relies on and needs on their phone. There's no getting around that the Android and iOS app stores are now vital to any phone on the market. The percentage of phones that have access to either the App Store or Google Play amount to at least 95% of all phones sold.

If Nintendo uses an authorized Android OS build, they no longer have full control of their system. One of Nintendo's defining traits is that their games and systems are as glitch free as humanly possible (compared to Bethesda, for example). Using Android opens the phone up to a multitude of issues Nintendo can't control. Google can push an update that breaks a game, or a user can install an app that fucks things up. The game cannot take maximum advantage of the hardware, as the OS and other apps will be sucking the CPU dry. I don't think Nintendo can even use their own game store, so they would have to rely on Google Play and have everything linked to your Google ID.

And that's not even covering the rampant piracy that Android OS has, where people would most likely crack the games to install on their own phones. That last one is a biggie. Nintendo would be forced to sell a smartphone at near cost in order to compete, but attempts to make money by selling games would be foiled by people simply choosing to pirate the games. And even if they don't pirate the game, mods and hacks that even affect online play would be readily available from the Play Store. Maybe you haven't noticed, but Nintendo really doesn't want you to hack their devices, and they do everything in their power to prevent hacking.

The smartphone market is not a nice place. Nintendo has no business making a smartphone.

Incidentally, what did you think a so-called Nintendo phone would look like? Is it a generic slab with no tactile feedback, or does it have a whole slew of buttons and joypads that add cost and get in the way when you want to make a call? Look how chunky the 3DS and Pro Controller are. They need to be, in order to have decent travel on the physical controls. Now look at the phone in your pocket. If it's anything like mine, it's pretty fucking skinny. There would be no room for usable triggers on it, and you're dreaming if you expect a circle pad or even the c-stick. Yes, you can make the phone thicker, but then you lose pocketability big time. Are you really going to wear a phone holster like an old Crackberry addict?

The 3DS and the Wii did one thing, and they did it well. That's why they were successful. Nintendo has never been a company that made a jack of all trades product, and never will.

I'm sorry that I'm kind of hostile about this; but all the facts of the smartphone world and of Nintendo's actions are very clear that such an attempt would be a suicide run, and Nintendo would not even attempt it. There is simply no benefit, and it won't even make something that you'll stare at nostalgically when you rediscover it in a box in your attic.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Honestly gaming should remain on gaming consoles. The gaming industry should optimally ALWAYS attempt to innovate, and smartphones simply aren't the proper plataform for it. Much less on OSes like Android.

GoodCookie88

rekt em skrubs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though this is a rumor? The NX cant be this if it can run next gen games like sonic

Nah, I like it too, like a slimmer wii u. Looks comfy for small hands too.

The X1 is pretty powerful.
talking about sonic I wonder if this one is gonna be "stable"

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What in god's name is so hard to understand that you have a ton of different smartphones and gaming experience on a smartphone is not very good in general? I'd never give up on my phone for a "gaming optimised" one, nor would I give up on a handheld for a "phoning optimised" one.

Well that's your case. My case is also preferring 3DS's and Vita's for a better gaming experience.

But I see that some people continuously miss the point. What you and me want, is out of the question because we form a minority. The few of us that have other preferences, are virtually nothing compared to the huge casual market. Whether we like it or not, that's where Nintendo and Sony have to invest.

It's been more than proven that the "hardcore gamer" market alone, is barely enough to keep the industry afloat.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Well that's your case. My case is also preferring 3DS's and Vita's for a better gaming experience.

But I see that some people continuously miss the point. What you and me want, is out of the question because we form a minority. The few of us that have other preferences, are virtually nothing compared to the huge casual market. Whether we like it or not, that's where Nintendo and Sony have to invest.

It's been more than proven that the "hardcore gamer" market alone, is barely enough to keep the industry afloat.
Uh, the "hardcore gamers" aren't the only ones who like to play games and who believe touch controls aren't comfortable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...