Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
well i can tell you right now a handheld with detachable controllers won't be very popular in the west. so you better hope this rumor is false or ninty will be taking LAST place YET again!

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Again, never say never. If it is exceedingly idiot-proof Westerner-proof then it may be an insignificant issue. Have a secure latching system and replacement controllers for the few morons that do not take care of their things and it'll be fine.

SonicFan26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea I guess, it would be awesome to have a powerful portable console with an HD screen and then snap into a TV base at home, I'm down.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
From a technical standpoint, that's actually a pretty cool way to save money.

I'm still horrified/intrigued by it though, but there's no use crying over split milk. Assuming this half gen stupidity continues, Nintendo could just release this portable hybrid, and jump back into the fray for the PS5 and Xbox...2...? Hah as if.

While the hardware is pretty underpowered, we still don't know what the software is going to be like, and that's the most important part. Eurogamer is a pretty reputable source, so I have no doubts that this is what the NX hardware will be, and if Nintendo manages to step it up with some quality first party games, that'll be alright with me. I'll reserve judgement until we see the system launch without a Metroid game and everyone has a salt-fest the games.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Indeed. It couls very well merge all their ways of gaming into one. From Wiimote-like (but better) motion controls, touchscreen controls AND regular buttom controls.

That's something PS and XB can't do so yay

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know, if this gives us "Wiimotes" and a touchscreen controller, that means devs can chose between the two. Pretty cool.

Indeed. It couls very well merge all their ways of gaming into one. From Wiimote-like (but better) motion controls, touchscreen controls AND regular buttom controls.

That's something PS and XB can't do so yay

On the contrary, I'm sick of the way Nintendo incorporates 1,000 different controllers into their consoles, the games for which require different schemes. Between Wii remotes, Wii remote pluses, classic controllers, nunchucks, the gamepad, and the pro controller they add up to a LOT of unnecessary clutter and worry about battery charge. It's a pain in the ass. I use a single dual shock 4 for my PS4 and haven't needed anything else since.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the contrary, I'm sick of the way Nintendo incorporates 1,000 different controllers into their consoles, the games for which require different schemes. Between Wii remotes, Wii remote pluses, classic controllers, nunchucks, the gamepad, and the pro controller they add up to a LOT of unnecessary clutter and worry about battery charge. It's a pain in the ass. I use a single dual shock 4 for my PS4 and haven't needed anything else since.
If this what the console is, all that would incorporated and streamline into one device and while providing different controls beyond same basic controls. It's a win-win for everyone, if done right.
Especially if this new device can work with all games, which should be able to.

Maybe the controllers can be mounted on to the screen vertically?
That thought did cross my mind. Games that need you to fold the screen would be left incompatible and it would probably be less games focus on two screens, but that's better than nothing.

Last edited by KingVamp,
Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That thought did cross my mind. Games that need you to fold the screen would be left incompatible and it would probably be less games focus on two screens, but that's better than nothing.
They can always do the same thing the 2DS and Wii U does to emulate screen folding on 3DS and DS titles (sleep toggle and home button, iirc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu