Nintendo of America closes its Redwood City and Toronto offices, about 100 employees reportedly laid off

nint.png

When you think of Nintendo of America, the first thing that might come to mind is their well-known Redmond, Washington building, which effectively serves as the headquarters for that branch of the company and is where all the localizations take place. You might not have known that Nintendo also has a number of other buildings dotted around the United States and Canada, which serve as sales and marketing offices. In a sudden decision, however, Nintendo has closed two of those offices--the ones in Toronto, Ontario, and Redwood City, California specifically. The news appears to come as somewhat of a surprise, not just to the public, but also to the employees at those respective Nintendo locations, as an anonymous source at Kotaku claims that the now displaced staff--about 100 former employees--are upset at this decision. According to a statement from Nintendo, some of that staff will be kept on and instead moved to the Redmond and Vancouver locations.

The office closures also come with the resignation of Nintendo of America's SVP of Sales and Marketing, Nick Chavez, a role once held by the current president of NOA, Doug Bowser. An update to Chavez's LinkedIn profile shows that after years of working at Nintendo, he will be moving to Yum! Brands, where he'll be in the sales and marketing department for Kentucky Fried Chicken. With his departure, Devon Pritchard will be the new SVP of Sales and Marketing.

Nintendo of America headquarters are in Redmond, WA, and Vancouver, BC. We are moving more of our employees and operations into those headquarters and will be closing small satellite offices in Toronto, ON, and Redwood City, CA, over time.

Devon Pritchard, Executive Vice President, Business Affairs and Publisher Relations for Nintendo of America (NOA), will assume interim leadership of Sales, Marketing and Communications following the departure of Nick Chavez. Ms. Pritchard will oversee strategy and execution of sales, marketing and communications across the U.S. and Canada.

:arrow: Source

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys shouldn't have pirated Dread this hard you know!
Joking aside, I would not at all be surprised if the shakeup in marketing had anything to do with the recent mass disapproval of the new Online expansion pack service. Which apparently now serves as Nintendo's most disliked video on their Youtube and still seems to be flooding with plenty of issues and hate from its fans/users.

If that was all a marketing call, then those heads will need to roll to fix up the expectations they failed to keep with their core audience. After all, at the end of the day, Marketing folk are probably the most soulless in a company.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on your severance package - I personally know a guy who celebrated being laid off. :lol:
Oh, I had a very nice severance package. I'd still rather have had that job. After a decade I still haven't found one I loved as much.

DonCaballero

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Joking aside, I would not at all be surprised if the shakeup in marketing had anything to do with the recent mass disapproval of the new Online expansion pack service. Which apparently now serves as Nintendo's most disliked video on their Youtube and still seems to be flooding with plenty of issues and hate from its fans/users.

If that was all a marketing call, then those heads will need to roll to fix up the expectations they failed to keep with their core audience. After all, at the end of the day, Marketing folk are probably the most soulless in a company.

I think it is possible, they read the market very poorly for that and they never managed to make the package seems like a premium. Instead of getting a free Animal Crossing DLC, you're FORCED to get Animal Crossing or the subscription just flat out isn't worth it. While marketing did fumble it, at the end of the day it's a business decision. They forced it too hard. Scapegoating the people at California to protect glorious nippon steel isn't by itself a move I disagree with out of principle, but I do hope it leads to some modicum of self reflection on how much money they can suckerpunch out of the fanbase before the jig is up and people get restless.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess recycling its old games, releasing cheap hardware and taking any tom dick and harry they can to court isnt paying off.

I guess they need to save some pennies to develop its new console that will need better hardware soon or else it will be ignored more by third parties as they shift their focus to the new hardware and theyve ran out of old titles they can port.

And dont cry snowflakes, before you jump to the rescue like the loyal die hard fanboys, i am taking the piss (though i wouldn't be surprised if theres a pinch of truth to it) lol.

I feel sorry for the workers, so close to Christmas too.

Nintendo need to start focusing on making great consoles and new titles than they do trying to find any excuse to take people to court.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess recycling its old games, releasing cheap hardware and taking any tom dick and harry they can to court isnt paying off.

I guess they need to save some pennies to develop its new console that will need better hardware soon or else it will be ignored more by third parties as they shift their focus to the new hardware and theyve ran out of old titles they can port.

And dont cry snowflakes, before you jump to the rescue like the loyal die hard fanboys, i am taking the piss (though i wouldn't be surprised if theres a pinch of truth to it) lol.

I feel sorry for the workers, so close to Christmas too.

Nintendo need to start focusing on making great consoles and new titles than they do trying to find any excuse to take people to court.
The consoles are fine as long as we're not getting half assed ports made with UE4. Plenty of stuff that "shouldn't run" on Switch works because it's completely capable of running on it.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consoles are fine as long as we're not getting half assed ports made with UE4. Plenty of stuff that "shouldn't run" on Switch works because it's completely capable of running on it.
How does that even make any sense, plenty of stuff that shouldnt run on switch works because its completely capable of running it.

Ehhh

So, when you take a game made with unreal engine, to you its not a half assed port when its had to be heavily dumbed down in order to run..... hence why its lacking majority of the new third party titles...... nintendo again promised to improve on.

And what we are getting are all the old third party ports they lacked from ps2/xboz upto ps4/360, that was built using a lower unreal engine.

If you are looking at games like doom eternal and thinking wow the switch shouldn't be able to run this, well erm, its not exactly hardware demanding, but when you compare it to the console versions, its very crap, your paying full whack to play a shit version.

And why is this, nintendo wants a cheap gimmick to print money, but also if they restrict third party devs, it leaves the market open to nintendos games selling better as it has less competition.

But they havent been arsed either, porting its same old crap, metroid was pretty shit to be honest, shame the one that actually looks good is been made by a different studio.

Hmmm, says it all.

Nintendo cant make great new consoles
Nintendo cant make great new games

I used to be a nintendo fan, nintendo used to be my only console, but when you wake up and realise your buying a new console to play the same recycled nintendo titles and games you already own or can buy for less without having to buy a new console.

Nintendo now only focus on cheap hardware and some bs gimmicks to brain wash its fans into thinking its something great.

Whats so innovative about the joycons that are prone to break just by looking at them and evem still after all these years, you have to be sat close to the tv or else your too far away for them to work.

Yet i can control my xbox downstairs while sat upstairs, again, nintendo and their cheap inferior hardware.

Even its new oled model is a joke to only gice 64gb internal, fuck me, thats what, 4 games.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Iwata literally took pay cuts to prevent anyone from losing their job when Nintendo was struggling. Nintendo isn’t even struggling these days, this was just a dick move from a company drifting further from what everyone used love them for.
Iwata was a real one

Reactions: Kioku

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, when you take a game made with unreal engine, to you its not a half assed port when its had to be heavily dumbed down in order to run..... hence why its lacking majority of the new third party titles...... nintendo again promised to improve on.
Code optimization and lower resolution graphics really aren't "dumbing down" a game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They should take "that" 4.5M and save all these employee's jobs
So assuming rent is free/no land tax/no operating costs of building/no retirement contributions/payroll tax/health insurance....
We will assume 40000 per year (kind of low but it is games so people seem stupid enough to take it).
40000 x 100 = 4 million.
So that is a year they would get from it.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iwata literally took pay cuts to prevent anyone from losing their job when Nintendo was struggling. Nintendo isn’t even struggling these days, this was just a dick move from a company drifting further from what everyone used love them for.
I just wish they purged the Tree House or "restructured it". Putting "memes" in a game they weren't originally in, and Fire Emblem Fates is unforgivable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think