Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
FarflungDarkDoe-max-1mb.gif

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious why people are upset? I think the glossy white looks amazing and it's only $50 more than the orignal unit. It even has a better dock. The OLED and the new dock along with the expansion of internal memory is totally worth the upgrade.

Reactions: Wavy

Bagel Le Stinky

the bagel bad smell
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just curious why people are upset? I think the glossy white looks amazing and it's only $50 more than the orignal unit. It even has a better dock. The OLED and the new dock along with the expansion of internal memory is totally worth the upgrade.

because we are excited about the switch pro

Reactions: Payne

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because we are excited about the switch pro

Yes i'm aware but you have to look at the cost anaylsis if they did release a pro how many units are they going to sell? The costs to upscale all the games and etc..etc.. wouldn't be worth it because people already know that Nintendo release timeless games they are not in competiton when it comes to graphics. The last time they were neck to neck was the gamecube era.

The switch has already sold a ton of units... will we get a pro maybe on a newer Nintendo Console but not on the Switch. They already have the light, the reglular switch, and finally the oled model. (Low/Mid/High End) I'm not complaining I'm going to buy the white model because I really like it.

My favorite models are the Anmial Crossing Model and the all White OLED Model. This was a smart decison NIntendo would sell more of units for $350 opposing to trying to relase a pro varient for $500. They can't compete with the PS5 Or the Series-X to justify the $500 price tag. Also users would get burned because of the "pro exclusive titles" (hence remember new 3DS)

They made the right decision these things will sell as well as the light.

Now if we can hack these badboys that will be amazing but i can settle for it. I'm actually pretty excited for the new switch.

Last edited by Goku1992A,
Reactions: Payne

rmorris003

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I am done with Nintendo lol, I rarely use my Switch now with SX OS. The days of them having a pure console for the tv are long gone and not worth the time or money for the few must play games.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
For any of you that are upset or disappointed or any negative emotion about this:

Are you blaming Nintendo? If so, why, when they never said there was going to be a Switch Pro with 4K gaming, or that there was going to be a Switch 2, or even this model. They said nothing, you chose to believe the rumours several groups created, and set your expectations to those levels, based on... nothing.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know people are complaining about the device not having upgraded internals but I'm genuinely curious if it's feasible or not. The Xbox One X for instance got little support even with the upgraded internals and if devs couldn't update their games the best they could do was upscale to 4k. Same thing with the N3DS as barely any games actually used the new features. Would updating the internals break some games that were designed to work with the original switch? Even if it's just an "FPS boost" some games might not be designed to take the increases performance and break due to high frame rates.
All an enhanced version would have to do is stabilize performance on any variable resolution game (which is most games) and it would already be a huge upgrade without any special updates.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expected that any "pro" model would still only have 1080p games, but I really didn't expect the dock to not even be able to output 4K video. The Tegra X1+ chipset can output 4K, so i'm still confused as to why they don't even attempt to pump out 4K video like the Xbox one S did with blu-rays

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expected that any "pro" model would still only have 1080p games, but I really didn't expect the dock to not even be able to output 4K video. The Tegra X1+ chipset can output 4K, so i'm still confused as to why they don't even attempt to pump out 4K video like the Xbox one S did with blu-rays

In all fairness PS4,XB1,PS5,Series-X are considered gaming and media systems. I beleive they can play Bluray movies the switch is at minimum playing 720p and 1080p docked. The only people who are complaining is us on these types of forums but to the average user the new switch looks "neat".

Nintedno isn't even top tier gaming they has and always will be in their own lane. Despite Hulu and Youtube Nintendo doesn't really offer anything on the media side since it's kinda only mean to game.

People need to learn how to accept the Switch for as it is. When you are playing NIntendo you are doing it to have fun if you want to play more on the intensive side you would mainly go for a Playstation or an Xbox or a PC.

Reactions: Lunar

Bagel Le Stinky

the bagel bad smell
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In all fairness PS4,XB1,PS5,Series-X are considered gaming and media systems. I beleive they can play Bluray movies the switch is at minimum playing 720p and 1080p docked. The only people who are complaining is us on these types of forums but to the average user the new switch looks "neat".

Nintedno isn't even top tier gaming they has and always will be in their own lane. Despite Hulu and Youtube Nintendo doesn't really offer anything on the media side since it's kinda only mean to game.

People need to learn how to accept the Switch for as it is.

WHaT ABOut FunIMAtiOn

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHaT ABOut FunIMAtiOn

Yeah but it's still bare minimum. I think the problem here is many people compare what Sony and Microsoft is doing to Nintendo on what they should be doing. I mean look at the games they are not graphic intense games so it wouldn't make sense to make the system 4K. When you go 4K you are normally offering lots of media and etc..etc.. because mostly you would like to steram movies and so on.

I know people want a Switch pro but the price point of $499.99 would scare away the customers or make many people feel less inclined of owning a system. If I own a switch I won't shell out $500 on a new one but I would probally trade in my older model for a revised model which most people are going to be doing including myself. I personally play my switch on docked but I do like the joycon/oled screen/expandale memory/ and dock so it is worth the upgrade.

If I want to play 4K I'll just play my Xbox One S or my G15 laptop.

@ertaboy356b
I doubt it more than likely the internal has changed and also SXOS is out of buisness so i think it is the end for V2 and higher models because this model is considered as a V3

Cube6gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Don't see the point, really.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's amazing how these things release... when... "We're not working on anything right now..." [when asked about switch Pro)

Cool, but disappointing. I just want my Switch games to not stutter...and this ain't it.

Have you considered a speech therapist or vocal coach for your Switch?

Considering what a nightmare (I feel) it is owning the Switch and S. Lite... synced-back-ups, having to check if the other is in use before starting, etc... I'm not so sure a 3rd is a great idea...

Last edited by Redhorse,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In other news GeForce experience is still shit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: In other news GeForce experience is still shit