Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Literally just a better screen for mobile mode, better audio, and a lan port on the dock

It sounds like a more premium version of the Switch lite since it can be docked, but when is Nintendo going to make a switch that targets the traditional home console demographic?

Several games have performance issues on the switch even among first party titles. the switches performance is a fucking joke

Reactions: peteruk

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder if this Switch Oled will be moddable or will it be patched like the last normal Switch sold?
Because it seems to me just a small restyling!

Last edited by NeoGranzon,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^And this kids, is the prime example of the Soy Consoomer!
Well thanks for the new title I guess. I was a Pretty Pretty Princess, and now I am a Soy Consoomer! Oh the joys of the internet.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In essence a crap update, but the screen is slightly larger so I guess I must buy one. But I don't think my girlfriend will agree with my reasoning...

rmorris003

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was born in 1982 .. Gaming order sent like this .. NES,Gensis,SegaCD,32X, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, PC gaming, PS3/360, PC gaming, PS4 PC gaming .... been pc gaming since 2002 and have got some consoles but ..... ohh and forgot to put the wii,wiiu and switch in that mix ... but thats for the wife and kids not me
I was born in 84 and played everything all the way back to Colecovision as my grandparents would let us borrow it but I had NES/SNES/Genesis/32x/CD/N64/PS1/DC/XBOX/PS2/GC/360/ps3/WII/WII U/XB1/PS4 etc and been PC gaming since early 90s.

Last edited by rmorris003,
Reactions: Undwiz

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only people who should be disappointed are those that believe Bloomberg is a credible source.. oh and those that follow certain Youtubers who make their money by endlessly click-baiting about the Switch Pro.

Nintendo simply doesn't need to bring out a higher specc'd model until the sales numbers start to decline.

Reactions: peteruk

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was born in 84 and played everything all the way back to Colecovision as my grandparents would let us borrow it but I had NES/SNES/Genesis/32x/CD/N64/PS1/DC/XBOX/PS2/GC/360/ps3/WII/WII U/XB1/PS4 etc and been PC gaming since early 90s.
My first video system was the Intellivision, then the Commodore 64, then the NES. The NES was a game changer. The NES had arcade quality games.

Last edited by Tomtani1,

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

I am legit afraid to even read the darn comment section at this point; just gonna comment that the world of nintendo is burning, and were getting butt raped hard by new nintendo cruddy moves lol...or idk anymore..I may end up wheezing from the memes this will possibly get.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Cool, but disappointing. I just want my Switch games to not stutter...and this ain't it.

Your games are gonna get super stroke :D just upgrad...I am laughing too hard..im sorry...

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wish they had made the dock smaller and more portable. Yes I’m aware of third party docks/kits but I wish something more official was available.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but what about those rumors? :D
No credible source started Switch Pro rumours. At least no credible source when it comes to video game news. Bloomberg Report with their undisclosed sources aren't credible here. At some point there may very well be an upgraded Switch with improved performance, but not in 2020, and probably not in 2021.
bloomberg when they realize they cant report on the switch pro 6545815196 times a month anymore
Oh they'll still do it. They'll just say it's coming the year after their previous claims, now they'll probably say it's coming Q4 2022 or Q1 2023. The spread rumours give them a lot of traffic which means more advertiser money. They're kind of like the modern New York Times or WSJ, they'll keep reporting rumours and other unconfirmed information from questionable sources for the traffic without caring about whether their reputation is damaged, because the people who read them regularly will still trust what they read because of past credibility.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
?! No probs here with this update.. Any performance increase would've hiked that rrp up towards PS5/XSX price, yet wouldn't be comparable - this is a good rrp (in comparison to the other models at least)
I don't plan to buy one though - unless my current Switch conks out, in which case I'll pick one of these up instead of the standard model. *shrugs*

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Nintendo fans gotta whine about something.

People have to understand the switch is like GTA V. (It prints money) so Nintendo will not take a risk by releasing a switch pro for $499.99 because people are going to complain. The games are already expensive and they rarely goes down in price. Some people don't even have a 4K TV. I honestly don't see the problem.

Let's just say they did make a switch pro and release "pro only games" it will only piss off both sides because the pro varient will run well and the normal varient would run shitty (cyberpunk) I honestly think the switch will be around for 3 more years.

Next generation yes it will be 4K resolution because 4K is becoming the standard but not this gen with the switch.

@mightymuffy

That is EXACTLY why NIntendo didn't do that. Why release a pro model of all the games would play decent on 1080p. If I was a customer I would buy a switch lite or a used switch for cheaper and spend my $500 on a PS5 Or a Series-X

I'm not seeing the problem with 1080p honestly at the end of the day the switch is a handheld. Nintendo can't afford to put extra stuff because it will hike up the price. Sony tried this with the vita in 2012 and it flopped.

Last edited by Goku1992A,
Reactions: Wavy

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Let's summarize:

- Twitter leakers have being wrong for the past 4 years

- Nintendo did nothing and it still will outsell the competition (loyal fan base + chip shortage for the competition)

- Based on promises Nintendo never done, people are outraged but still will buy and subscribe to their online thing

- If you arrive home, first thing you gotta to do is catch a buizel

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Underwhelming and a bit odd.
I've heard many confuse the Switch and Switch lite already so now there's another one in the mix.
The "one with the better screen" I guess is how it'll be described.
Reminds me of the Gameboy Light in some ways.

A Metroid special version is gonna look pretty nice with this new model at least.

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am interested in the screen temperature/brightness manufacturing variations with this new revision.

I own 3 switches (v1, v2, lite), and they all have different colour temps and max brightness levels. Funnily enough my v1 screen looks the best in these regards :rolleyes:

To add to this, all 4 of my N3DS I own have different colour temps and brightness levels as well. Especially annoying when the top screen is dimmer than the bottom screen on the same device. Not to mention the whole ips/tn fiasco.

Hopefully Nintendo pick up their QC game with this screen revision, but if history has taught me anything, they won’t.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sbeve