Hacking Nintendo Switch bootrom dumped.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Defeat TrustZone and everyone in Re-Switched will probably buy you every game you'd ever want! You won't even need the flashkart.
So if I can my Switch's trust can I get mah bakups?
How do I do so, do I take my Switch to dinner or to the movies first?

But in all seriousness though:
To quote myself:

And now that I've learned that the bootrom is actually able to accept signed patches (thanks @SciresM), its even more true. I thought Nintendo had only learned from the top down to protect against compromises, but it turns out they actually learned to protect the bottom of the pyramid as well.

The major difference from the PSP is that your Switch can be permanently blacklisted, so you have an either/or proposition of sorts to deal with. But as an emulator? It will be ace. nVidia's chip, Nintendo's spacemagic hardware durability and ergonomics. :switch:

The fourth little pig built his house out of blacklisted switches.
Wouldn't we be able to still play online if we have the original cart of the game while still having the emus in the system?
I assume the online blacklist would only apply if Nintendo detects something odd with the backup you are playing with.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Nintendo will announce a console in 3 weeks. It was a short but nice lifespan for the Switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wondering what that game was :P?
Ghoul Patrol for the SNES, complete in box with manual. I also found Mario RPG which is like 150.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in all seriousness though:

Wouldn't we be able to still play online if we have the original cart of the game while still having the emus in the system?
I assume the online blacklist would only apply if Nintendo detects something odd with the backup you are playing with.

No its for detecting any degree of tampering/fw or flag mismatches. You console has a unique, burned in cert that they can blacklist if they detect anything fishy and if they do, then your console is permanently banned.

Backups, tampered with saves/game data, firmware issues, etc, it can all potentially get you banned.

Reactions: peteruk

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No its for detecting any degree of tampering/fw or flag mismatches. You console has a unique, burned in cert that they can blacklist if they detect anything fishy and if they do, then your console is permanently banned.

Backups, tampered with saves/game data, firmware issues, etc, it can all potentially get you banned.
That's if I even pay them for the online service in the first place :lol:

Reactions: DocAmes1980

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What do you mean that our consoles have a unique burned-in cert? I didn't see anything about it on Switchbrew. Also, wouldn't there be a way to load a different cert temporarily into RAM to bypass a ban(like how 3DS hyperbans can be bypassed)?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean that our consoles have a unique burned-in cert? I didn't see anything about it on Switchbrew. Also, wouldn't there be a way to load a different cert temporarily into RAM to bypass a ban(like how 3DS hyperbans can be bypassed)?
Instead of being read from a file like the 3ds, it reads from a hard-coded section of the switch. Burned in, can't be modified.

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of being read from a file like the 3ds, it reads from a hard-coded section of the switch. Burned in, can't be modified.
So I assume it's stored in the same place where the Keys and other console-unique info is stored? And I assume the cert is not loaded into RAM either, which means that injecting a completely different one into RAM would not work?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The certificate key data is stored encrypted using keydata only available to TrustZone. This is burned in at the factory as the system rolls off the production line and is unique as in only one number to one Switch that is generated by some unknown entropic generator. The SSL module retrieves this on boot, passes it through TrustZone (through SPL), and its decrypted and the system "identifies" itself.

Thus the Switch, at boot on the lowest level of security, is given an identity that is unique to it.

So I assume it's stored in the same place where the Keys and other console-unique info is stored? And I assume the cert is not loaded into RAM either, which means that injecting a completely different one into RAM would not work?

Yes, its in TrustZone. And even if you could somehow bypass the check and pass in another 'identity', it would effectively be meaningless as it'd just be banned as well. As such no one will/would share their cert numbers, and you also cannot generate certs that do not exist.

Last edited by V-Temp,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but when will we be we be able to load gaems from sd???

I'm very happy that people want to dedicate their precious time into helping the community, and reverse engineering is always difficult.

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The certificate key data is stored encrypted using keydata only available to TrustZone. This is burned in at the factory as the system rolls off the production line and is unique as in only one number to one Switch that is generated by some unknown entropic generator. The SSL module retrieves this on boot, passes it through TrustZone (through SPL), and its decrypted and the system "identifies" itself.

Thus the Switch, at boot on the lowest level of security, is given an identity that is unique to it.

Yes, its in TrustZone. And even if you could somehow bypass the check and pass in another 'identity', it would effectively be meaningless as it'd just be banned as well. As such no one will/would share their cert numbers, and you also cannot generate certs that do not exist.
Why would the other 'identity' get banned as well if you do manage to bypass the check? I assume Ninty checks for other inconsistencies as well(like mismatched unique data)?

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would the other 'identity' get banned as well if you do manage to bypass the check? I assume Ninty checks for other inconsistencies as well(like mismatched unique data)?

I think you misunderstand -- the identity itself is a piece of data Nintendo can verify the authenticity of. Changing it would break that, and you'd be rejected by default.

Reactions: peteruk

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to be a smartass, but what free services? The eShop, BookFace/Twatter integration and what else? The console hardly has any services or extra features.

NicoNico, Netflix (not yet live), games with free online components, etc. Anything that has to go through Nintendo will be blocked, now some services may not do such checks and will just go to their owner's services but they are also usually subscription services any way so you're not really gaining anything.

Pokemon, for instance, I expect to be free/have many free elements such as trading/battling because of all of the children who will be playing the game.

Reactions: DocAmes1980

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you misunderstand -- the identity itself is a piece of data Nintendo can verify the authenticity of. Changing it would break that, and you'd be rejected by default.
And changing it to a different one(even temporarily) breaks the authenticity. Actually, what happens if you try to connect to online services if you are banned? Does it display an error message like the 3DS?

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job!

As a layman I love learning about the technicalities of the Switch and how it works. I have a second 3.0.0 Switch in the drawer just waiting for superb portable emulation. I’d love to help test stuff. It’s great having such a powerful portable being cracked open for homebrew.

The primary Switch is 100% digital purchases I don’t need carts holding me back

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And changing it to a different one(even temporarily) breaks the authenticity. Actually, what happens if you try to connect to online services if you are banned? Does it display an error message like the 3DS?

I think it's safe to assume that yes, it does. I know you were asking SciresM but your question is kinda pointless. The anticipation of knowing what the banned error msg says will be satiated when people start getting blacklisted. I'm pretty sure the msg would originate from Nintendo's end so I don't see the devs being able to find it in the system software. It's nice to see the devs on here. I don't think we should inundate them with trivial questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    to make a Hanna barbera shared cinematic universe
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    dude
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    that would be crazy
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    you wanna know the worst night i had?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    you wanna know the worst night i had?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    no, but fucking cockroaches
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    i had to sleep with one eye open
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    after i restes peacfully
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    *peacefully
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    *peacefully
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    sorry for misspell and posts
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    i heard a buzzing sound from a flying cockroach and ran away
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and i have to sleep somewhere else
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, I hate insects too
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    i wish i can just get rid of them
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so i can rest peacefully
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    i just worry about cockroaches entering my room
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    my room is absolutely clean and a have an AC Conditioner
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and when i turn it on or not, they have a way to enter
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it pisses me off
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and my right eye is bloodshot from lack of sleep but damn. the full moon with the clouds is beautiful
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    @Xdqwerty any tips?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bug exterminator?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A bug exterminator? +1