Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack pricing information revealed

n so.png

After the existence of a new tier for Nintendo Switch Online was revealed during the previous Nintendo Direct, new information regarding the service was announced today. Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack, which includes Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games, along with the newly-announced paid DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, will be included in the plan, which will cost players $49.99 for a year's worth of membership--almost on par with the cost of Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus per year. That's also more than double the price compared to the original cost of NSO's base tier plan, which is currently $19.99. If you want a yearly family membership of the Expansion Pack, you can expect to pay $79.99. Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack launches October 25th.

:arrow: Source

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Between this and the OLED Switch, I honestly feel like Nintendo isn't putting the same amount of thought and care into the programs and hardware as they used to and are going to fall behind when the "Nintendo Effect" inevitably wears off.
VC in 3DS and Wii U was great, because you paid for what you wanted. I agree with what you said about it. Really strange to put a DLC in there. It should a one-payment thing for Animal Crossing owners who want it.

I do think the Bloomberg reports about an improved processor Switch are real. Nintendo denied it because they don't want people to wait for buying that revision, and want them to buy the just released OLED Switch. Similar to how they denied the Switch replacing the Nintendo 3DS family, just because they wanted to sell more 3DS before its death.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
it is, it's 25 dollars for those who just want it alone. however, it's being shoehorned in to make the NSO plan seem...more appealing i guess?
Good to know. It was really confusing in the NSO page.

So, I guess you keep the Animal Crossing DLC even if you cancel the subscription? Something like a "freebie", then, for joining the new tier?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I guess you keep the Animal Crossing DLC even if you cancel the subscription? Something like a "freebie", then, for joining the new tier?
From the DLC page on Nintendo's site:
Players can still continue to access certain things they have unlocked in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise on their main island, including adding counters, partition walls, as well as adding ambient lighting and soundscapes, even if their access to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise is suspended."

"However, it will not be possible to visit the archipelago if players lose access to the DLC. To be able to visit the archipelago and take on requests of designing vacation homes again, you will need to purchase the DLC separately or renew the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.

Reactions: Olmectron

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
150% price jump just for n64 is quite the ask, wow.

The excellent 40+ game Genesis collection is just a one time payment of $15 on the eshop (and I have it) and I don't like AC, so I disregard those two as having any value from my perspective.

Milenko made a good point that it's still under $5/month, but it will add up to a lot over a few years. Bad deal.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"However, it will not be possible to visit the archipelago if players lose access to the DLC. To be able to visit the archipelago and take on requests of designing vacation homes again, you will need to purchase the DLC separately or renew the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.
That sucks. For God's sake, Nintendo. Just take the DLC out of the pack, and lower the price!

Thanks for the info. My reading comprehension isn't at its best today.

Reactions: Xzi and Patxinco

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that is painfully high.
I was thinking another ten or fifteen to play some n64 games online with friends also just wanting to try them online.
At this prce its a huge no.
Adding the DLC which you can buy outright anyway really hurts the value of the other two items.
If you take out the 25 dollars and assuming this 50 includes the base 20 thats only five dollars for the extra emulators, which would have been an acceptable and fair price.
With the DLC in the way this will push away anyone who is just curious to try some n64 games online.
Plus seeing as we can't play with randoms and casual users wont be willing to drop an extra 30 for it, that'll make playing online super rare.
As if thats not already a problem with the base package seeing as the invite friend system isn't even implemented.

Very bad move, they must be deperate to sell that DLC to strong arm it in like this.
Are they expecting Animal Crossing fans to jump on and justify this when they could just buy the dlc out right and not worry about auto renew or losing the DLC later?
If you only want n64 games it's a huge waste of money.

Hopefully enough poeple will speak out about it but I don't think I have enough room to care anymore.

Nintendo love ya but you're drunk, find help.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
VC in 3DS and Wii U was great, because you paid for what you wanted. I agree with what you said about it. Really strange to put a DLC in there. It should a one-payment thing for Animal Crossing owners who want it.

I do think the Bloomberg reports about an improved processor Switch are real. Nintendo denied it because they don't want people to wait for buying that revision, and want them to buy the just released OLED Switch. Similar to how they denied the Switch replacing the Nintendo 3DS family, just because they wanted to sell more 3DS before its death.
Well, with the findings some techtubers have reported about the OLED's dock being able to support 4k output? I have no doubt we'll see a Switch Pro. Hopefully not as late as 8 years into the system's life. :v

Last edited by Kioku,

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this idea came from Marketing after a report from finance that they won't be hitting their revenue target for this year...

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally hate AC (if you like it then enjoy it because I've tried and can't). So I don't understand paying for the extra stuff that I would never use. Wouldn't all of these be better off as seperate one-time purchases? And personally, a yearly payment is not possible for me because monthly payments allow me to budget things out easier. Not realistic for me but if others want it then I guess that's their choice.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I personally hate AC (if you like it then enjoy it because I've tried and can't). So I don't understand paying for the extra stuff that I would never use. Wouldn't all of these be better off as seperate one-time purchases? And personally, a yearly payment is not possible for me because monthly payments allow me to budget things out easier. Not realistic for me but if others want it then I guess that's their choice.
The part that sucks is that the AC DLC will be available separatly for USD$25, but for some reason, Nintendo is forcing it into the new tier pack.

Reactions: Tomato123

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see why Nintendo are doing this.

People bent over for a barebones glorified p2p matchmaking service that's stuck in 2002, oh wait even 2002 Xbox live had more features :rofl2:. Even the TV ads over here have people using their phones in mp games to make up for Switch onlines lack of communication features.

I'd try and squeeze you dry as well after seeing people cough up for that.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Also, I feel dumb... but now I'm even more upset... I originally thought Nintendo was including New Horizon in the package deal. It's really just the DLC, huh? That's ACTUALLY WORSE than what I was originally thought.

Reactions: Olmectron

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like, this is the last straw. Been a Switch Online subscriber since it came out, but... Definitely never paying for Switch Online again, this is SUCH a gigantic middle finger to paying customers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, This commercial doesn't need to be made.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of features into the iPad but all of them got irreparably mangled
    in the process."
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That'll be fixed in the next update
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did Janet Jackson release a new song
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Is Janet Jackson alive?
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    And has she put her boob away yet?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry:
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    I hope this is a dream and I'm not actually leaving messages for others to see. :ninja:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You are not.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but yeah ig so