Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack pricing information revealed

n so.png

After the existence of a new tier for Nintendo Switch Online was revealed during the previous Nintendo Direct, new information regarding the service was announced today. Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack, which includes Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games, along with the newly-announced paid DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, will be included in the plan, which will cost players $49.99 for a year's worth of membership--almost on par with the cost of Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus per year. That's also more than double the price compared to the original cost of NSO's base tier plan, which is currently $19.99. If you want a yearly family membership of the Expansion Pack, you can expect to pay $79.99. Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack launches October 25th.

:arrow: Source

Guggimon

GBAtemp's Fucker, Alt Banned and McFuckaroo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally recommand the "EVERDRIVE-64 X7" for those who really want to play N64 games without any limitations and you don't have to wait till your favourite game is in the list. At least they didn't change the basic NSO price.
Better for them, otherwise i sold my switch

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is more trashy than the worst scenario I could even imagine. Their online service is so limited and crap ALL of these games should be included for the current cost.

And the Animal Crossing DLC? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME! They release a half-baked product, abandon it completely and then ONLY after mass Exodus they promise new content... For $$$$$$$

That's really really shitty

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh.

Well I mean, I have a full family plan across 7 other friends of mine, and if they each get access to the $24.99 DLC for Animal Crossing...

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I personally recommand the "EVERDRIVE-64 X7" for those who really want to play N64 games without any limitations and you don't have to wait till your favourite game is in the list. At least they didn't change the basic NSO price.
This everdrive, and even the much cheaper chinese ones are amazing solutions, but the limitation of this route is the crap signal that the OG N64 outputs. Unmodded consoles looks muddy even with a good upscaler. It looks awful on CRTs either.

Virtual console on switch would be amazing, full ownership, that stuff, but this discussion sadly is dead and buried already.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fell off the ac train awhile ago...I honestly could care less about the dlc besides it being the reason I have to waste even more money for something I don't want...

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if the DLC is $24.99, after the first year it should be $25 for single membership & $55 for a family. Surely they are also going to offer the Online + Expansion Pack without the Animal Crossing DLC at launch?

Reactions: felix.200

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
I could get all the latest first party games and even major third party ones, ON LAUNCH DATE, with Game Pass, for $10 more a year...
Where did you get $10 more a year from? The cheapest game pass plan is $120 a year whereas the most expensive switch online plan is $80 a year, so that’s at least $40 more a year. Not saying gamepass isn’t the better deal but still

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand why people are making a huge deal about this. Just emulate the damn games. Stop giving Nintendo your money for unoptimized games. In fact, most of these games have become well optimized thanks to modders and modhacks alike. Sheesh. Stop shilling Nintendo and their heinous cash-grab schemes...

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way too overpriced, this is garbage. I have the family plan, $80 is way too much. I could see paying ~$50 for it, compared to the $35 I pay now. Definitely not paying over double just for some emulators and a DLC "rental."

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Where did you get $10 more a year from? The cheapest game pass plan is $120 a year whereas the most expensive switch online plan is $80 a year, so that’s at least $40 more a year. Not saying gamepass isn’t the better deal but still
You can still convert Gold to Game Pass Ultimate 1:1. It's not exactly as advertised, but it's still very possible, and still just $60 per year if you're buying retail XBL cards.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so the animal crossing New Horizon Happy Home Designer (Game I don't own) is included with the expansion? :blink:

That's not "Download content" that's a "SUBSCRIPTION"
Also where is the option without that "DLC"
Unless you don't need the game to play it. That's a pretty ridiculous price. Would be more fun to buy a $70 game. Least get to keep it for life. :ninja:

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. just. nope. I'll probably buy the animal crossing dlc, but I sure as heck ain't renting it, and definitely not renting access to online emulators.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate you can break the cost down to monthly, weekly, even daily if you so wish to make it feel more palatable but in my humble opinion this is really disappointing from Nintendo.

I was genuinely looking forward to signing up for a year, probably investing in that N64 controller as well but I just feel that this annual pricing is plain greedy.

No doubt I'll still do it, but they really are taking the piss out of us and they're not even trying to hide it anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1