Nintendo Switch Online N64 controller officially sold out until 2022

n64.png

While the result of the emulated Nintendo 64 games on the Switch might have left fans wanting for more, others were eager to get their hands on a modernized N64 controller. However, if you didn't already get yours ordered, you likely won't be able to get your hands on one until next year, at the earliest. The $49.99 controller is sold out on both the Nintendo US and UK storefronts, with the former noting that while you can't order any for now, more controllers are on the way, and will be available sometime in 2022.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping they restock in the UK this year, the mega drive controllers haven't even went on sale yet.

I have streetmerchant checking for stock in the UK, I'm not paying £100+ ebay prices.
Isn't the basic online sub £20 in U.K. and the controller £50? That's £70.

Overpriced for a controller with one analog stick, but each to their own.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't the basic online sub £20 in U.K. and the controller £50? That's £70.

Overpriced for a controller with one analog stick, but each to their own.
Already have a family plan online sub and have for years so I pay next to nothing, controller is £39.99

Good price for a first party controller by today's standards. N64 is a meaningful console for me and I would mainly use the controller on N64 emulation on PC anyways. I understand paying anything for a controller like that for anything other than N64 games would not make much sense so it would be pretty pointless to own for a lot of people.

I don't think most people are buying the controller for it's amazing functionality or for anything other than N64 games. I would never buy a NES, SNES, Mega Drive controller because I never played those consoles so I don't care about playing games from those consoles with the controller from that time.

Last edited by fadx,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i take it you have never played the n64?

I had a N64 when everyone had a PS1, from 1996-2002 (when I got a PS2). I had SM64, DK64, Extreme G, Extreme G-2, Mario Party 3, Goldeneye 007, Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2 and Mario Kart.
The D-pad almost never got any use, due to the clunky setup of only using the stick or the d-pad.
Z instead of R2/L2 was a novel idea, but one that never caught up due to obvious reasons.
The controller is also needlessly big.

I had the Yellow, Green, Gray and Blue pads, and replaced their analogs back in 2006. I still have some mem cards here.

So, I can tell you that I loved the N64, but that controller is not good anymore.

I wouldn't touch them again considering Xbox Elite pads and many others exist.
Most of my gaming today is using the Wii U Pro controller with its huge duration battery.
For FGs I use the Hori Fighting Commander Pro, and the Split Pad Pro on the Switch.

Again, it's your money, but think really hard if that controller is worth $50.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a N64 when everyone had a PS1, from 1996-2002 (when I got a PS2). I had SM64, DK64, Extreme G, Extreme G-2, Mario Party 3, Goldeneye 007, Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2 and Mario Kart.
The D-pad almost never got any use, due to the clunky setup of only using the stick or the d-pad.
Z instead of R2/L2 was a novel idea, but one that never caught up due to obvious reasons.
The controller is also needlessly big.

I had the Yellow, Green, Gray and Blue pads, and replaced their analogs back in 2006. I still have some mem cards here.

So, I can tell you that I loved the N64, but that controller is not good anymore.

I wouldn't touch them again considering Xbox Elite pads and many others exist.
Most of my gaming today is using the Wii U Pro controller with its huge duration battery.
For FGs I use the Hori Fighting Commander Pro, and the Split Pad Pro on the Switch.

Again, it's your money, but think really hard if that controller is worth $50.
its still the best controller for n64 games and its not even close

Reactions: Kioku

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

No, no it's not.
There is ZERO advantage in using it over even an OG Dualshock.
Nothing on the N64 makes the use of that pad mandatory or improved.

This is like saying the GCN controller is the best one for Smash games, when it's only so due to force of habit, not due to some inherent advantage the controller has.

Name me ONE advantage I get from playing N64 games on the N64 pad over any current standard pads (10 button dual analog) around other than button names.

Looking back, it's weird how we've had pretty much the same controller layout for over 20 years now, Wii's notwithstanding.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, no it's not.

This is like saying the GCN controller is the best one for Smash games, when it's only so due to force of habit, not due to some inherent advantage the controller has.

Name me ONE advantage I get from playing N64 games on the N64 pad over any current standard pads (10 button dual analog) around other than button names.

Looking back, it's weird how we've had pretty much the same controller layout for over 20 years now, Wii's notwithstanding.
c buttons, octagonal gate

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No, no it's not.

One advantage? The proper ergonomics in playing N64 titles. Especially in games like Tony Hawk or even certain FPS titles like Turok or Duke Nukem Zero Hour.

The GameCube controller is easily one of, if not THE best to use in Smash Bros. The way the combat system and controls work make it more fluent and comfortable.

Still, it all boils down to preference. If you're that intent to use one type of controller for all of your gaming needs? That's cool. Some agree with you. Some don't.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer something closer to a traditional controller like below.

41Cr0sL+y9L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Should have replaced the camera buttons with an analog stick, and I know it would've end up looking very similar to a Wii U controller, but that's not a bad thing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I noticed. It was sold out everywhere when I checked and people are already scalping them for multiple times their value. Bastards.
As far as I could tell, it's not available here anyway. The My Nintendo Store doesn't ship to Norway and there isn't anywhere else that sells it officially that does that I could find. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get one.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I prefer something closer to a traditional controller like below.

41Cr0sL+y9L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Should have replaced the camera buttons with an analog stick, and I know it would've end up looking very similar to a Wii U controller, but that's not a bad thing.
Ew, no. The lack of dedicated C-buttons is what makes modern controllers so awful for playing N64 games. It's be no different from any other controller at that point.

Reactions: Kioku

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I noticed. It was sold out everywhere when I checked and people are already scalping them for multiple times their value. Bastards.
As far as I could tell, it's not available here anyway. The My Nintendo Store doesn't ship to Norway and there isn't anywhere else that sells it officially that does that I could find. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get one.
the german store did and it was available there for almost 24 hours

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
No, no it's not.

Ocarina of Time just feels better with a n64 controller. I never liked remapping one of the c-buttons to the z-trigger thats on top of the gamecube controller or one of the r-triggers or to the analog stick.

It's not just the d-pad it's also the c-buttons. I never liked the remapping to other buttons on other controllers.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4