Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will get new NES and SNES games later this December

The wait is over, when it comes to new NES and SNES titles, for those that pay for Nintendo Switch Online. Nintendo will be bringing more retro games to its service, after previously adding a collection of Super Nintendo games back in September. These new additions include four SNES games, and two NES, which are listed below.

• Star Fox 2
  • Super Punch Out!
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Crystalis
  • Journey to Silius
Super NES
  • Star Fox 2 – This 3D rail-shooter and second installment of the Star Fox series was first designed for Super NES, but went unreleased until it appeared on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system in 2017. This time, Emperor Andross is on a crusade to conquer the Lylat system and the Star Fox team itself. After a long wait, Star Fox is back in action.
  • Super Punch-Out!! – Featuring the tight gameplay and humor the series is known for, this sequel to the NES classic sees Little Mac return to the ring with the World Video Boxing Association belt once again at stake.
  • Kirby Super Star – That awful King Dedede is at it again – he’s stolen all the food in Dream Land. It’s up to Kirby to get it back and ultimately save Popstar from being taken over. There’s never a dull moment as Kirby dashes, flies and fights!
  • Breath of Fire II – Set 500 years after the original, take on the role of Ryu, the last member of the Dragon Clan. A cast of unusual and exciting companions join you in your adventures across a wondrous land full of magic and mystery.
NES
  • Crystalis – An epic story for action-RPG fans is ready to unfold. Set in a world where civilization lies in ruins, the young protagonist awakes from cryogenic sleep and the adventure begins. Collect the Sword of Wind and venture into the unknown.
  • Journey to Silius – Join Jay on his run-and-gun mission to take down the mechanical army responsible for his father’s death. Defeat endless waves of attack robots and fulfill his father’s dream of developing a space colony in the Silius Solar System.

The most notable addition in this lineup is Star Fox 2, which was previously exclusive to the SNES Classic. All six of these games will be made available for the Nintendo Switch on December 12th.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Super Punch Out? Oh.. Was hoping for Donkey Kong Country. I don't know why...

Goddamn, they still don't have Donkey Kong Country up? Why is it so hard for Nintendo to do this right? I get the logic of "We need to save our big games for big announcements down the road," but when people have already had access to all these games on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS, not to mention all of the emulators and hacked Switches, they should have just launched with everything people want. I feel like having an impressive library at launch was their only prayer of getting people to give a shit about this.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool we waited 3 months and still no donkey kong country what mad who me nah i’m not mad i’m only gonna be waiting 8 years before they add donkey kong country no problemo my amigo friend pal i’m not mad in any way shape or form.... yeah imma just get back on my snes classic thanks

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crystalis is pretty good. I actually have two copies of the game. I think I bought one or both while drunk years ago, 'cause I have no idea how I got them.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I seriously wonder if there is anyone who gets excited by these free titles.

Anyone old enough to remember them likely knows how to boot a game on an emulator.

Anyone young enough to not know what these games are likely doesn't care to play them.

I would love to see some statistics on what percentage of people play any of these titles for more than 5 minutes.
Some old people are too old to be up to tech and mess with emulators (hence such popularity of NES/SNES Mini among casuals). Some youngsters are interested in history of videogames or just curious enough about it. Some see these games on a popular speedrunning event and like, "Hey, it's on my system now, why not to try it out". Some just bought NSO for Pokemon/Splatoon/Mario Kart and appreciate a bunch of free games in their reach. There's a lot of potential scenarios, really, and some of them overlap. I mean, it's harder to look into different demographics when you're a resident (let alone moderator) in one of the most prominent console hacking communities on the internet, but there are ton of people who both appreciate and consistently use these options; we're just in a different niche.

Reactions: banjo2

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually have some problems with the snes classic, particularly c8 errors. I can't figure out what's causing it. I think the system isn't getting enough power with a flash drive connected to it. anyway, I do have 25 games in each folder, but I have nearly 800 games (the entire no intro set).

607jfxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It still confuses me how fanboys go "BuHt iTs oNlEy $20 a YeAr". Yeah that great we are basically paying $20 for peer2peer connections and four old ass games my shitty computer running Windows 98 can emulate every couple months.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only want nintendo online for cloud saving, after having lost all of my saves with my old switch. however, it kinda ticks me off that not all games are compatible. pokemon is one of those games, so I'm hesitant to buy either version. I've never played pokemon before, and I'm afraid that losing its save will make me never want to play the series again.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It still confuses me how fanboys go "BuHt iTs oNlEy $20 a YeAr". Yeah that great we are basically paying $20 for peer2peer connections and four old ass games my shitty computer running Windows 98 can emulate every couple months.
If it's good enough to emulate then it's good enough to pay so don't be tight and get yr 20 bucks out

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

Isn't it, whenever they feel like releasing new ones now? Hope it doesn't become like Wii U VC where it became really rare for them to release new VC games.

_DrBecks_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And … why Breath of Fire II? Yeah, it’s not that bad, but in the best case a mediocre JRPG-experience. In direct comparison to Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia (...or „Time“ for Europe), Terranigma, Secret of Evermore ... Breath of Fire II was the worst decision. And hey, I like Breath of Fire, but only III and IV, they are way better. Or what about Robotrek? A hidden gem, sadly didn’t get the attention it would have deserved

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The switch was about 350 in 2017