Hardware Nintendo Switch "PRO" Thoughts

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are rumors thing is real and its releasing this year. In light of this I finally installed SX-OS(my thought on sx os is a different subject). And Im hoping...

Breath of the Wild Complete Version DX needs to come to the new Switch model with a separate 1080p/60fps patch(for those who bought the regular version too) and all the extra content. Along with a lot of first party patches for 1080p/60fps or higher.

Also, Im assuming this thing is a Home Console only thing and theres no way it gonna have a handheld aspect to it, but if it does...

a 1080p screen, AT LEAST. with the games running native 1080p at least a steady 30fps and 60fps if they can.

I was getting ready to get a rtx2070 graphics card until i heard about the Switch Pro and now i have to wait until i at least hear it out on what it has to offer. This sucks.

Im curious to see what the gbatemp community thinks. "write your comments below and please like and subscribe"

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i the op will reply in detail. I installed sx-os and its been a complete joy. im experiencing a lot of games i would have never even considered of buying or even playing on pc in the first place, i dont believe in sitting at a PC and using more power draw to run 8bit games like a Celeste or a Moonlighter. BUT a lot of these games are good and if had they had a demo or something I couldve at least considered buying them because a lot of these are really good.

Another thing is some of these other games for Switch that were former big AAA titles look like dirt on the OG-switch. Hopefully these companies will come back and add support to the switch pro (although its very highly unlikely and too costly to do it). I feel like a lot of these games that recently came to the switch were just trying to capitalize on a quick cash grab and did a quick and horrible job of porting to this console. AND IM GLAD I PIRATED THEIR STUFF. Some of these games are not worthy of even pirating, its frigging sad.

i dont think a Switch Pro will solve the poor ports but one can hope. But im gonna assume we're gonna get even worse ports. This is all F*Cked because I'll more than likely buy it for Pokemon but we'll see. Hopefully they announce this stuff very soon so people can save money.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see Nintendo going very far from Tegra, thus I can't see them improving performance all that much unless they go for a new form factor. (Say, a box, or a much larger tablet.) BotW as is is more like 900p, the Pro would probably be enough to get it to full 1080/30. 1080/60 is over double the speed, something that doesn't look feasible with the current form factor. Even in a box though it will never be on par with a 2070 which runs rings around Xbox1X even.

1080p screen is likewise a heavy lift. The screen itself is easy, but the docked profile to render for it doubles the GPU speed and kills the battery even faster for a unit that already struggles with battery life. Without making a much bigger unit (like ipad pro vs ipad) with a much larger battery, it seems like a terrible tradeoff.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are rumors thing is real and its releasing this year. In light of this I finally installed SX-OS(my thought on sx os is a different subject). And Im hoping...

Breath of the Wild Complete Version DX needs to come to the new Switch model with a separate 1080p/60fps patch(for those who bought the regular version too) and all the extra content. Along with a lot of first party patches for 1080p/60fps or higher.

Also, Im assuming this thing is a Home Console only thing and theres no way it gonna have a handheld aspect to it, but if it does...

a 1080p screen, AT LEAST. with the games running native 1080p at least a steady 30fps and 60fps if they can.

I was getting ready to get a rtx2070 graphics card until i heard about the Switch Pro and now i have to wait until i at least hear it out on what it has to offer. This sucks.

Im curious to see what the gbatemp community thinks. "write your comments below and please like and subscribe"
Were you holding out on SXOS because you were afraid you would get banned?

And now that you plan on getting a new switch you no longer care - just a little confused by how you worded that.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get an RTX2070, the RTX series is a pointless money grab. Not to mention all the RTX cards dying within 2 months.

Reactions: gameboy

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from all the tech insiders I think this is what we may get in the Pro

oled
x2 chip
8gb ram
128gb storage
6/8hrs battery life
$399

should help games to run 1080p 60fps in dock mode to run in handle held mode would probably only get maybe 2hrs of battery life and a very hot system
so 720p still in handheld

for them to hit 1080p in handheld price of the unit would be around $499 and that is not an ideal price range plus in such a small screen most of the detail is lost Nintendo is looking for the quick money grab

Tech is at a very interesting place right now because of the 5G network starting/coming will make everything useless because you will be able to stream everything from anything that's where the future is heading and why all the big tech companies are jumping on the gaming bandwagon because it won't matter anymore

One account spread out across mutiple devices with continues play like they do with media

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but people have been saying there's a "pro" model, or a "mini" coming ever since the switch was released. So with all the articles I am very skeptical, in which I think you all should be aswell. Reports were saying they are going to release it in the summer, so maybe E3, which could be it, wouldn't surpise me. but two models seems weird. if anything, I think they would to a smaller model, and then a "pro" model.

oled
x2 chip
8gb ram
128gb storage
6/8hrs battery life
$399
I'm instantly skeptical, Eight hours of switch pro runtime is hyperbole I bet. 8GB ram with two CPU chips is really silly, why would you have two chips? 128GB could be viable, as They don't cost that much to buy.

When you add more performance, you usually negate battery life, so Upping the battery, and computing power seems really flaxed.
Oled screens could happen, but they usually have a bad Screen burn in problem, Ips would be more viable.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but people have been saying there's a "pro" model, or a "mini" coming ever since the switch was released. So with all the articles I am very skeptical, in which I think you all should be aswell. Reports were saying they are going to release it in the summer, so maybe E3, which could be it, wouldn't surpise me. but two models seems weird. if anything, I think they would to a smaller model, and then a "pro" model.

I'm instantly skeptical, Eight hours of switch pro runtime is hyperbole I bet. 8GB ram with two CPU chips is really silly, why would you have two chips? 128GB could be viable, as They don't cost that much to buy.

When you add more performance, you usually negate battery life, so Upping the battery, and computing power seems really flaxed.
Oled screens could happen, but they usually have a bad Screen burn in problem, Ips would be more viable.
X2 is the tegra x2. Not two cpus

Reactions: DeoNaught

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
from all the tech insiders I think this is what we may get in the Pro

oled
x2 chip
8gb ram
128gb storage
6/8hrs battery life
$399

should help games to run 1080p 60fps in dock mode to run in handle held mode would probably only get maybe 2hrs of battery life and a very hot system
so 720p still in handheld

for them to hit 1080p in handheld price of the unit would be around $499 and that is not an ideal price range plus in such a small screen most of the detail is lost Nintendo is looking for the quick money grab

Tech is at a very interesting place right now because of the 5G network starting/coming will make everything useless because you will be able to stream everything from anything that's where the future is heading and why all the big tech companies are jumping on the gaming bandwagon because it won't matter anymore

One account spread out across mutiple devices with continues play like they do with media
Just a better cooler and a battery will be ok for 1.7 ghz stock

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not even sure we are getting a Pro version. From what I heard/read there will be a less powered model to increase battery hours mainly. Then again any information out now isn't truly official.

Heichart

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
so i the op will reply in detail. I installed sx-os and its been a complete joy. im experiencing a lot of games i would have never even considered of buying or even playing on pc in the first place, i dont believe in sitting at a PC and using more power draw to run 8bit games like a Celeste or a Moonlighter. BUT a lot of these games are good and if had they had a demo or something I couldve at least considered buying them because a lot of these are really good.

Why not think about the games you are experiencing as demos and buy those games you liked?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't get an RTX2070, the RTX series is a pointless money grab.

Not really, just not worth buying specifically for the real-time raytracing feature yet; not because of the hardware itself but because most software does not support it at this point so it's basically a gimmick. It's still a powerhouse of a GPU.

Not to mention all the RTX cards dying within 2 months.

First I've heard of it. And I follow tons of tech news outlets. Weird. There's no warranty I've ever seen that wouldn't cover this, anyway, unless it's due to damage or user-error.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to spawn wave "rumour wave" the basic handheld model may not come with a dock or might not be dockable at all. Knowing Ninety history with handhelds theres always a new revision every few years.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to spawn wave "rumour wave" the basic handheld model may not come with a dock or might not be dockable at all. Knowing Ninety history with handhelds theres always a new revision every few years.

rumors point to a July launch $199 (kids pocket edition) makes sense to cash in on summer for kids so we will see if it will be announced at e3 .. but Nintendo claims Switch has been used more in handheld mode looks like big N likes to spy on gameplay mode also states HD rumble sees little use sucks if they take out the tv out capability but also read they are exploring wireless display

has anyone looked into what's in the data packs being sent back :ph34r:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Im not even sure we are getting a Pro version. From what I heard/read there will be a less powered model to increase battery hours mainly. Then again any information out now isn't truly official.
Supposedly there will be TWO new models. But I'm highly skeptical. I just don't see them coming out with another better specced version that's never going to be taken full advantage of because devs want their games to sell to as many people as possible so there will be very few if any exclusives that actually need the better specs, just some minor graphical improvements here and there (and FPS improvements of course)

Reactions: MasterJ360

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
2 new models are coming.
One 'enhanced' version. Better battery life for sure. CPU performance enhancements, for sure. More onboard storage for sure. Better kickstand design for sure. Better LCD? Glass? More colours? Repositioned controls? Customisable dock so you can slip in your own paper illustrations? Faceplates? Who knows. Just ideas.

One cut-down version. No rumble in this one. Nintendo can greatly simplify and miniaturise the hardware by taking out the rumble. Probably smaller, more akin to the 3DS. Maybe a Switchless Switch, so Nintendo can be freed from the restraints of designing a silly hybrid and just focus on a decent portable without thinking about Atari Lynx sizes, fan and heat problems.

I assume warped consoles and docks scratching screens won't be an issue with new models. Maybe glass this time? Less scratched screens. No worries getting joycons the wrong way, especially on a Switchless Switch, if they do that. Maybe more like the Vita, PSP and (3)DS ...and with a stroke of insanity, priced more fairly.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you holding out on SXOS because you were afraid you would get banned?

And now that you plan on getting a new switch you no longer care - just a little confused by how you worded that.

i was holding out on sx os because i was enjoying a lot of games online and there werent many games i felt i needed to play. i kept up with sxos just out of curiousity and did grab a lot of scene releases but never got to installing them. then all of a sudden i was bored of splatoon, mk8, dqb and smash after the pokemon announcement and just installed emunand after those reports of the "pro" version. I knew sooner or later I would install SXOS but i was waiting to hopefully find a copy of diablo 3 for like $20 on craigslist but that never happened.

a hacked switch is pretty awesome, so many options.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu