Nintendo Switch sales surpass lifetime Nintendo Wii sales in the US

nn.png

The Game's Industry website released an article going in detail just how the new release of gaming titles, alongside improved hardware, has helped to maintain the gaming industry as a whole in a thriving environment in a post-pandemic world, stabilizing into a new normal state, as well as helping it grow even more than what it was before.

In this new article titled "The US video game industry gets back to growth", depicts several factors that are influencing the gaming market in the current day, with an expected growth of around 3% for the US, nearing 58.3 billion USD. In terms of hardware, products alone contribute around 7 billion out of the 57+ billion USD in video game expenses, with a growth of around 19% from last year.

One of the points of interest from this article, comes from the same talk about hardware sales, which is related to that of the Nintendo Switch. In the article, it's mentioned that the Nintendo Switch held a very strong 2023, with the release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom helping with hardware sales, and not only that, but also helping the Nintendo Switch to finally surpass the sales of the Nintendo Wii on the US back in July of 2023, with the Switch trailing behind just a bit from the Xbox 360 by a million, and the PlayStation 2 by 5 million:

Game's Industry Article said:
Switch has also continued to perform strongly in 2023, helped by the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In fact, the US lifetime sales of Switch hardware finally surpassed those of Wii in the US market during July 2023. Switch lifetime sales now trail Xbox 360 by less than one million units, and PlayStation 2 by fewer than five million.

It's worth noting that the sales numbers combine all versions of the Switch, including Switch Lite and Switch OLED.
It might only be a matter of time before the Switch pairs up with the most successful consoles (PS2, DS) in terms of sales, but with the current rumours of a new Switch revision, or even a Switch successor on the horizon, it's still uncertain if the Switch will get there in time before said console appears and the Switch stops being sold.

:arrow: Source

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
The Wii had some amazing games. I really get angry at people who write it off. Yes shovelware was an issue, but it had some games you couldn't have on any other system. Switch again is great. I just love gaming.
Switch sales will never beat wii+DS

It is selling well but they essentially combined two consoles

I almost even consider the WiiU to be a good and underrated console. I'm extremely feel bad for it seeing worse or second to worse than the Virtual Boy. The WiiU and the 3ds is what got me into indie games.

I know that the game series that actually got me into it was a terrible one, but those years is when Indie games gotten even more popular than what It used to be imo.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dare say it's already on lifesupport, from what I remember most consoles only have 6 years tops for lifetime, the PS2 was the exception of course, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo tries to stretch the lifetime of the Switch as well just to milk out the most out of that cow.
The NES had a lifespan of 20 years in japan
The SNES had a lifespan of 13 years in japan
The Genesis had a lifespan of 9 years
The PS1, 12 years
The XBOX, 8 years
XB360, 11 years,
PS3, 11 years
PS4 is 10 years old as of now, and only some models are discontinued

All in all, most of them indeed had a lifespan of around 6 to 7 years and only those considered as failure had a shorter lifespan
Saturn, 3 years (in western countries)
Wii U, 5 years
Virtual Boy, 5 months
Dreamcast, less than 3 years

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Nintendo's latest first-party games are running at like 15 FPS on the console, so yeah, they've been beating the dead horse for a while now. A lot of people have lowered their standards thanks to mobile gaming, but anything less than 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD is an absolute joke in 2023.
15 fps, ok, but is the switch dead yet? I'm waiting to see the "switch killer" doing it's job.

Reactions: YugamiSekai

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It still feels to me that the switch is a rarity among people...
I guess I barely know people that own one.
pretty much all people i know who dont own a nintendo switch just dont want one

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Performance wise, it do was crappy
Design wise, it was a great success
Content wise, it was a great success
The Switch was a success, even though it had so many flaws in performance and the hardware being pretty outdated. The Wii was the better console imo.

Reactions: k7ra and DragonMals

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It still feels to me that the switch is a rarity among people...
I guess I barely know people that own one.
There a lot of idio.. hm... people that have *multiple* devices at home because of those special editions. I have two, but were bought used.

And the Lite is really good value.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There a lot of idio.. hm... people that have *multiple* devices at home because of those special editions. I have two, but were bought used.

And the Lite is really good value.
You begin deriding people for multiple switches, but then admit you are one of them...

I only have the switch I bought on launch day in 2017

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Switch was a success, even though it had so many flaws in performance and the hardware being pretty outdated. The Wii was the better console imo.
Performance wise, when talking about the hardware and everything, the switch WAS succesful, when it was first designed/released. They had to keep the cost as low as possible, and the only way to do that was to cut where they could, such as replacing the SSD with a cheaper solution.
The thing is that the cost for most of their component declined not that long after. The console already had been designed and im pretty sure they didnt want to redesign it whole.
When you take a look at the 2017-2018 switch, it was very successful performance-wise. But video games started being more and more demanding. The Switch could have handled most of it, if it had a redesign or if they designed it with hardware from like 2 years later. They just couldn't wait with all the loss they had from the Wii U.

So, we could say that the Switch was a rushed console, as in if they waited a year or two, they could have gotten more powerful hardware for cheaper.
The Switch is
Content-wise : a success
Design-wise : a success
But performance-wise, they were just unlucky i guess...

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You begin deriding people for multiple switches, but then admit you are one of them...

I don't take myself as an upstanding example.
Also, my switches are normal models (a true Switch and a Lite) , no Pokémon editions or the like.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

same here, bought two months after release, my only one :)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Performance wise, when talking about the hardware and everything, the switch WAS succesful, when it was first designed/released. They had to keep the cost as low as possible, and the only way to do that was to cut where they could, such as replacing the SSD with a cheaper solution.
The thing is that the cost for most of their component declined not that long after. The console already had been designed and im pretty sure they didnt want to redesign it whole.
When you take a look at the 2017-2018 switch, it was very successful performance-wise. But video games started being more and more demanding. The Switch could have handled most of it, if it had a redesign or if they designed it with hardware from like 2 years later. They just couldn't wait with all the loss they had from the Wii U.

So, we could say that the Switch was a rushed console, as in if they waited a year or two, they could have gotten more powerful hardware for cheaper.
The Switch is
"When you take a look at the 2017-2018 switch, it was very successful performance-wise."

The thing stuttered playing BOTW, a launch title...

Does anyone else remember flying into karkariko village and watching a slide show

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
15 fps, ok, but is the switch dead yet? I'm waiting to see the "switch killer" doing it's job.
Yes, it's dead. 15 FPS in first-party titles means none of the biggest third-party AAA games get ported at all any more. Switch games are best played on any platform other than Switch itself, Steam Deck included.

Reactions: DragonMals

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
same here, bought two months after release, my only one :)
I have a lot of them in my house, but the Switch lite that I own, i barely use it. I mostly play on my PC now and emulate the Wii/gamecube games.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, it's dead. 15 FPS in first-party titles means none of the biggest third-party AAA games get ported at all any more. Switch games are best played on any platform other than Switch itself, Steam Deck included.

Can I ask: What games run at 15fps on a Switch? Is this an exaggeration or the real deal? I'm interested to know more about this.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The Switch is
They did make it very cheap to cut down the cost of producing them. Joy-Cons started drifting, some units even seized up and crashed, the Joy-Con straps would not come off if you've put them on the right way without using a set of tweezers to pull them off. It was terrible.

Examples of this can be seen here, quick headphone warning for loud noises.

Reactions: DragonMals

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shoot the duck free meal
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not allowed here in Ohio without Duck hunting permit, n it not in season yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just say it was trespassing and you thought it was ancientboi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We can shoot racoon, possums, skunks, cayottes tho
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I can shoot guys :shy::blush::evil:
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not from more than 2 feet tho
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You confuse shooting for milking
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, hasn't shot anything since 1938
    +2
    I think that was "The great depression" time
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It like one of those fake guns, that shoot, then a flag comes out and says, "splash"
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah a world War wasn't going on or anything
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Americans lied about camps for propaganda
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, where is your gun at?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought he already showed you his gun
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." - Full Metal Jacket
    +1
    We actually said that in Boot Camp, waaay before the movie :mellow:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: