Nintendo Switch sales surpass lifetime Nintendo Wii sales in the US

nn.png

The Game's Industry website released an article going in detail just how the new release of gaming titles, alongside improved hardware, has helped to maintain the gaming industry as a whole in a thriving environment in a post-pandemic world, stabilizing into a new normal state, as well as helping it grow even more than what it was before.

In this new article titled "The US video game industry gets back to growth", depicts several factors that are influencing the gaming market in the current day, with an expected growth of around 3% for the US, nearing 58.3 billion USD. In terms of hardware, products alone contribute around 7 billion out of the 57+ billion USD in video game expenses, with a growth of around 19% from last year.

One of the points of interest from this article, comes from the same talk about hardware sales, which is related to that of the Nintendo Switch. In the article, it's mentioned that the Nintendo Switch held a very strong 2023, with the release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom helping with hardware sales, and not only that, but also helping the Nintendo Switch to finally surpass the sales of the Nintendo Wii on the US back in July of 2023, with the Switch trailing behind just a bit from the Xbox 360 by a million, and the PlayStation 2 by 5 million:

Game's Industry Article said:
Switch has also continued to perform strongly in 2023, helped by the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In fact, the US lifetime sales of Switch hardware finally surpassed those of Wii in the US market during July 2023. Switch lifetime sales now trail Xbox 360 by less than one million units, and PlayStation 2 by fewer than five million.

It's worth noting that the sales numbers combine all versions of the Switch, including Switch Lite and Switch OLED.
It might only be a matter of time before the Switch pairs up with the most successful consoles (PS2, DS) in terms of sales, but with the current rumours of a new Switch revision, or even a Switch successor on the horizon, it's still uncertain if the Switch will get there in time before said console appears and the Switch stops being sold.

:arrow: Source

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
They did make it very cheap to cut down the cost of producing them. Joy-Cons started drifting, some units even seized up and crashed, the Joy-Con straps would not come off if you've put them on the right way without using a set of tweezers to pull them off. It was terrible.

Oh shit I completely forgot the Joy Con Drifts. The Wii didn't have any of that when it first launched. Hell, it came pre-bundled with a game that the Switch doesn't have (I think)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can I ask: What games run at 15fps on a Switch? Is this an exaggeration or the real deal? I'm interested to know more about this.
It's not a consistent 15 FPS, but it drops to that while struggling to maintain 30 in TotK and Scarlet/Violet. Won't surprise me if Metroid Prime 4 is Switch 2 exclusive so that it doesn't run worse than Prime 1 and 2 on GCN.

Reactions: DragonMals

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh shit I completely forgot the Joy Con Drifts. The Wii didn't have any of that when it first launched. Hell, it came pre-bundled with a game that the Switch doesn't have (I think)
The Wii never had any issues when it launched, except for rare cases when some retailers sold kiosk units instead of the retail ones, that required a Startup Disc.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
It's not a consistent 15 FPS, but it drops to that while struggling to maintain 30 in TotK and Scarlet/Violet. Won't surprise me if Metroid Prime 4 is Switch 2 exclusive so that it doesn't run worse than Prime 1 and 2 on GCN.

Ahhh.... I can imagine that with Scarlett and Viloet lmfao. I wish TPC would fix that game heard, but I don't want to vent over why I dislike Gen IX. I hope that Prime 4 gets released on there.

The Wii never had any issues when it launched, except for rare cases when some retailers sold kiosk units instead of the retail ones, that required a Startup Disc.

I thought the Startup Disc was required for every wii Disc.... :/

Reactions: Xzi

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the Startup Disc was required for every wii Disc.... :/
The Startup Disc was used only for kiosk units to install the System Menu. Early photos of the Wii box mentioned the contents containing the Startup Disc. Frankly, people thought that it was lost media until it was leaked in the iQue lot.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
The Startup Disc was used only for kiosk units to install the System Menu. Early photos of the Wii box mentioned the contents containing the Startup Disc. Frankly, people thought that it was lost media until it was leaked in the iQue lot.

Welp, looks like I've learned something new.

Not to change the topic, but the Wii's sound effects and system music(?) will always be better than any other console. For some reason, I always like to experience myself in a white room playing the Wii cause Imo it got that feeling. I may be strange saynig that, but that's legit how I feel.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Welp, looks like I've learned something new.

Not to change the topic, but the Wii's sound effects and system music(?) will always be better than any other console. For some reason, I always like to experience myself in a white room playing the Wii cause Imo it got that feeling. I may be strange saynig that, but that's legit how I feel.
Yeah. There's something about the music that's so rememberable and soothing to listen to.
Post automatically merged:

Anyways, back onto Switch. Yeah they've cheapened out on the Switch, now they're throwing out more revisions that nobody ever needs. Its as if they're trying to still become relevant.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Yeah. There's something about the music that's so rememberable and soothing to listen to.

I LOVE IT. I think when it comes to the best game on the system; It has got to be Mario Kart Wii, even if it's the most obivious choice. Nothing outside of that has enough repealability as that game. Animal Crossing: Let's go to the City is a close competitor, but that game is just a port of Wild World. I love watching my sister play that though.

• Love

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I LOVE IT. I think when it comes to the best game on the system; It has got to be Mario Kart Wii, even if it's the most obivious choice. Nothing outside of that has enough repealability as that game. Animal Crossing: Let's go to the City is a close competitor, but that game is just a port of Wild World. I love watching my sister play that though.
Since its one of my favourite consoles, and the fact that they're cheap to get ahold of these days, it explains the reason why I have 3 modded atm. I'm probably gonna sell one of them, but I'm keeping one that is chipped cause they're very hard to find.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii will always be one of the examples of why I'm more of a Retro gamer than a modern gamer.
Exactly. They're easy to hack and it makes a great emulation device.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Since its one of my favourite consoles, and the fact that they're cheap to get ahold of these days, it explains the reason why I have 3 modded atm. I'm probably gonna sell one of them, but I'm keeping one of them that are chipped cause they're very hard to find.

The modded scene also is a perfect reason as to why I like it a lot. I think this site made me like it more cause of the help that I've gotten. I know that it wasn't much, but I guess that if I have any issues in the future, I know where to go for now on.
Post automatically merged:

Exactly. They're easy to hack and it makes a great emulation device.

Exactly. I wish I had someone to test the Friend code thingy on the DS with though..... I have a friend that has an Apple device that can't do it. Maybe someone here can test it with me?

Edit: I also LOVE how this site Automatically merges duplicate comments. reduces spam!

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The modded scene also is a perfect reason as to why I like it a lot. I think this site made me like it more cause of the help that I've gotten. I know that it wasn't much, but I guess that if I have any issues in the future, I know where to go for now on.
GBAtemp was the reason how I found out about the Wii and 3DS hacking scene, it was then that years later that I made an account.

I agree that the modding scene has gotten a lot more better in terms of accessibility for exploits and designing hardware to hijack the console.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
GBAtemp was the reason how I found out about the Wii and 3DS hacking scene, it was then that years later that I made an account.

I agree that the modding scene has gotten a lot more better in terms of accessibility for exploits and designing hardware to hijack the console.

I still wonder what other things I could do to my 3ds tbh. I know that it's a great emulation console, but other than DS and GBA games, what else can I do with it? I have dolphin too, but I don't know how to get apps like CTGP.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  • Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol