Nintendo Switch Sells 10 Million Worldwide

Nintendo Switch Sells 10 Million Worldwide
Nintendo’s Video Game System Passes Major Milestone in Just Nine Months

Despite launching in March, a month not usually reserved for home console launches, and with the busy holiday shopping season still in full swing, the Nintendo Switch system has already sold 10 million units to consumers around the world, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures.

NintendoSwitch_hardware_boxart_02.jpg

Full PR:
Nintendo Switch is a home console that can be played on a TV, and also taken instantly on the go – it lets people play their favorite games anytime, anywhere and with anyone. And since every Nintendo Switch system comes bundled with two Joy-Con controllers, players can easily share the fun of compatible multiplayer games with friends and family right out of the box.

The robust and diverse library on Nintendo Switch features two of the most acclaimed video games of all time in Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. At The Game Awards last week in Los Angeles, Super Mario Odyssey won the award for Best Family Game. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was honored with the awards for Game of the Year, Best Action/Adventure Game and Best Game Direction.

Nintendo Switch is also home to fun multiplayer games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and ARMS that can be played online or with friends and family in the same room, as well as an ever-growing list of great third-party games like Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, FIFA 18, Rocket League, L.A. Noire, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Golf Story and Stardew Valley, Nintendo Switch is truly for any player.

“As you can see in people’s living rooms, on a plane or riding the subway, fans all over the world can enjoy playing Nintendo Switch wherever they go,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The response from fans has been great, and we’re doing our very best to satisfy demand during the holiday shopping season.”

After a record-breaking 2017, Nintendo Switch will continue its momentum in 2018. The system will see the launch of Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game in the beloved Yoshi franchise, in addition to big third-party games like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus from Bethesda, Mega Man 11 from Capcom, PROJECT OCTOPATH TRAVELER (working title) from Square Enix, Shovel Knight: King of Cards from Yacht Club Games and Runner 3 from Choice Provisions.

Nintendo Switch hits 10 million sales worldwide since its launch on 3rd March 2017, with a range of award-winning games including The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey already available, with plenty more experiences to come in 2018.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of crap, stop calling them devices. So sick of that word!

People claimed the same crap when i bought the mxpe last year. That phone destroyed its factory charger a dozen cables, three cases, one of the USB ports on the external battery i bought for it, and i eventually had to sell it "for parts" because it refused to quick charge anymore from anything. Not only was the process to even get to the battery destructive, it required micro soldering and lenovo stopped allowing anyone to sell parts for the phone, meaning what was at one point $15 for the genuine article was now $50+ for the chinese knockoff. It's a sad state of affairs when it's objectively easier to replace an iPhone battery than any given android. Motorola claimed up and down it had "all day battery life" but it would go from full to dead in just 60 minutes of pokemon go, or YouTube or twitch stream viewing. Meanwhile, on a 3g only Note 3, i can actually go the whole day on a single charge, even when i was doing my previous part time job delivery driving.

Considering how entirely happy Nintendo is to c&d effing everything online, i would not put it past them to litigate anyone trying to sell replacement batteries for Nintendo switch tablets and controllers. Seeing the numerous times that Nintendo seems to operate as if copyright and trademark law only exist to serve them, and nobody else.
software wise they are trigger happy with c&d orders but hardware seems less often
edit: also, perhaps you may have gotten a faulty device or that's a shitty company, I have had the same 3ds battery for years now and been fine, I feel like nintendo is decent about battery quality

Last edited by jt_1258,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
yea well, its about what? 17.5M/year
I dont think switch will hit that
As said previously, most of the sale surely were in march-june
I'm not putting it at 17.5m a year. However, I don't compare it to the PS4.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not putting it at 17.5m a year. However, I don't compare it to the PS4.
yea well neither do i, just replied to someone who did7
Also, dont take me wrong, I'm a pure Nintendo Fanboy :P

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Gratz to Nintendo. I don't think the momentum will hold very well in the far future, but this might be one of their more successful consoles at least.

Can't wait for them to fracture their userbase with a "New Switch XL!" ;O;

Well, when MP4 comes out, I'm betting it'll increase momentum substantially. Then you've got the next Pokémon game.. And when the new Smash comes. Oo

I dunno. Maybe I'm overly optimistic?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yea well neither do i, just replied to someone who did7
Also, dont take me wrong, I'm a pure Nintendo Fanboy :P

I have faith it'll trounce the Xbox One in overall sales soon enough. Oo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The S8 takes a step in that direction. Don't know about a full blown OS, but the DEX dock is pretty interesting.
Docks like this have existed for a while now and with Microsoft's Continuum we had a small taste of how things would shake up in such an implementation, but I don't think either solution goes quite far enough. With the recent low power x86 processors already competing with ARM a fully portable pocket desktop is well-within our grasp and I'm surprised it hasn't become a mainstream solution yet.

Reactions: gamefan5 and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Docks like this have existed for a while now and with Microsoft's Continuum we had a small taste of how things would shake up in such an implementation, but I don't think either device goes quite far enough. With the recent low power x86 processors already competing with ARM a fully portable pocket desktop is well-within our grasp and I'm surprised it hasn't become a mainstream solution yet.
I partially wish the Ubuntu phones wouldn't have flopped. I agree though. A step in the right direction.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the love of crap, stop calling them devices. So sick of that word!

People claimed the same crap when i bought the mxpe last year. That phone destroyed its factory charger a dozen cables, three cases, one of the USB ports on the external battery i bought for it, and i eventually had to sell it "for parts" because it refused to quick charge anymore from anything. Not only was the process to even get to the battery destructive, it required micro soldering and lenovo stopped allowing anyone to sell parts for the phone, meaning what was at one point $15 for the genuine article was now $50+ for the chinese knockoff. It's a sad state of affairs when it's objectively easier to replace an iPhone battery than any given android. Motorola claimed up and down it had "all day battery life" but it would go from full to dead in just 60 minutes of pokemon go, or YouTube or twitch stream viewing. Meanwhile, on a 3g only Note 3, i can actually go the whole day on a single charge, even when i was doing my previous part time job delivery driving.

Considering how entirely happy Nintendo is to c&d effing everything online, i would not put it past them to litigate anyone trying to sell replacement batteries for Nintendo switch tablets and controllers. Seeing the numerous times that Nintendo seems to operate as if copyright and trademark law only exist to serve them, and nobody else.

You can't C&D a battery.

Reactions: DarthDub

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm extremely happy that the Switch is doing well, I firmly believe that hybrid computing is the way of the future, not just in the console space but in general. The Switch, as flawed and clumsy as it is, is the first step to popularise this style of machines - companies that tried it before have mostly failed and I think the success of the Switch can propel this form factor into the mainstream. I would love to see phones and tablets that simultaneously function as portable devices and desktops in the near future, with full-blown OS'es and docks with mounted peripherals for when you need that extra oomph.

:O
I'm agreeing with you.
That's a first. I'm speechless.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't C&D a battery.
You can c&d a supplier or seller though, since stock of said has disappeared despite there being a market for it.

Sony went out of its way to kill supply of PSP batteries before the Vita was even a year old. If they had any aspirations to follow up the vita with another hand held, they'd be doing the same thing now regarding vita parts.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well, when MP4 comes out, I'm betting it'll increase momentum substantially. Then you've got the next Pokémon game.. And when the new Smash comes. Oo
You have to remember that a majority of Nintendo's general userbase are the hardcore fans, and releasing games that cater to Nintendo hardcore fans doesn't really bring in a whole lot of new sales vs something like getting highly anticipated third party titles. The people who will buy Pokemon and Smash and Mario and Zelda and Metroid are generally the same people who already bought a Switch for the promise of Pokemon and Smash and Mario and Zelda and Metroid. It's one of the many reasons why Nintendo's home consoles haven't been selling as well at all, from the N64 to the Wii U (not counting the Wii, of course, as that was just a lucky fluke). Nintendo focuses on first party and largely neglects third party, limiting their userbase to people who just like Nintendo (and that's not really a lot of people these days).

Don't get me wrong, the sales will definitely peak when they release, but it's going to last a week or two at most and then drop down significantly like it always does. The same thing happened to the Wii U, it's first year was seen as super optimistic with nice third party games and a couple Nintendo titles, and "surely Mario and Zelda and Smash Bros will make this smash the competition to pieces!"...and it did fuck all, as we know, because third parties abandoned the potato Wii U in favor of actually decent consoles.

Granted, this is all assuming Nintendo continues to neglect third parties in the future, which is something we simply won't know for another year or two yet. The fact that the Switch is a hybrid will help, since Nintendo's handhelds generally do well, but at the same time it costs the same as a home console, and most "casual" handheld players will complain that they're paying the "home console premium" for a "handheld console".

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You have to remember that a majority of Nintendo's general userbase are the hardcore fans, and releasing games that cater to Nintendo hardcore fans doesn't really bring in a whole lot of new sales vs something like getting highly anticipated third party titles. The people who will buy Pokemon and Smash and Mario and Zelda and Metroid are generally the same people who already bought a Switch for the promise of Pokemon and Smash and Mario and Zelda and Metroid. It's one of the many reasons why Nintendo's home consoles haven't been selling as well at all, from the N64 to the Wii U (not counting the Wii, of course, as that was just a lucky fluke). Nintendo focuses on first party and largely neglects third party, limiting their userbase to people who just like Nintendo (and that's not really a lot of people these days).

Don't get me wrong, the sales will definitely peak when they release, but it's going to last a week or two at most and then drop down significantly like it always does. The same thing happened to the Wii U, it's first year was seen as super optimistic with nice third party games and a couple Nintendo titles, and "surely Mario and Zelda and Smash Bros will make this smash the competition to pieces!"...and it did fuck all, as we know, because third parties abandoned the potato Wii U in favor of actually decent consoles.

Granted, this is all assuming Nintendo continues to neglect third parties in the future, which is something we simply won't know for another year or two yet. The fact that the Switch is a hybrid will help, since Nintendo's handhelds generally do well, but at the same time it costs the same as a home console, and most "casual" handheld players will complain that they're paying the "home console premium" for a "handheld console".
The Wii U definitely wasn't doing so well in its first year. We will see.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U definitely wasn't doing so well in its first year. We will see.
The first year sales for the Wii U were like 3 or 4 million, which people at the time considered "doing well". Their expectations were shattered, of course, when the PS4 and Xboner sold the same in like 2-3 months, but it was still considered "good news" with "lots of promise!"

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The first year sales for the Wii U were like 3 or 4 million, which people at the time considered "doing well". Their expectations were shattered, of course, when the PS4 and Xboner sold the same in like 2-3 months, but it was still considered "good news" with "lots of promise!"
i suppost most wii u sales since swtich releases are for homebrew

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad that things are going up after the Wii U Cafè machine.
I'll get one once more games are out next year. For now, i'm good with the Wii U and 3DS.
(While the U was pretty meh, it's still pretty good once hacked, NES, SNES, GBA, N64, DS, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, all in one)

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang Nintendo, congrats on the sales! I was a bit skeptical of how the switch was going to perform going into the holiday season against the PS4 and Xbox one s being at $200 and also the Xbox one x, but it looks like Nintendo has kept that momentum moving! iirc the switch was also the best selling product on Thanksgiving and black Friday, which is insane! Now let's keep this momentum going into 2018! :grog:

Reactions: Noctosphere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ