Hardware Nintendo Switch vs PS5 vs Xbox Two (Scorpio)

Which will win in the 9th Generation of Consoles?

• Nintendo Switch

• PS5

• Xbox Two

Results are only viewable after voting.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's kind of the point of a multi-platform game engine to support multiple platforms. Create an API for developers to use that will handle such platform-dependent implementations behind the scenes.
Just because an API is used does not mean the developers will use it in a way that makes their program portable. They may may calls to libraries independant of the API, or use calls in a way that is supported on some platforms but not others.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because an API is used does not mean the developers will use it in a way that makes their program portable. They may may calls to libraries independant of the API, or use calls in a way that is supported on some platforms but not others.
You said that it can't be done. I've shown how it can be done and now you are moving your argument to a hypothetical situation in which the developer had the tools available to do it but instead chose to program in a manner that would work for multi-platform.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
It's kind of the point of a multi-platform game engine to support multiple platforms. Create an API for developers to use that will handle such platform-dependent implementations behind the scenes.
And still you cant except that everything is handled by an engine. Another example. Opening a File and Read it in C# would be File.ReadAllText(path_to_file); .Net Core / Mono / .Net Framework handle it for each OS. But when we start using functions to access WMI (It's a windows intern database). All the functions are given by .net Framework, but that is something only will work in Windows NOT ON LINUX / MAC / FREEBSD. Ok ok.. but what if we would use a function to access Processes. No Problem, same thing with the different intepreter. BUT if we would use it on Linux with Mono we could get different behavior then on windows, even if its working.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You said that it can't be done. I've shown how it can be done and now you are moving your argument to a hypothetical situation in which the developer had the tools available to do it but instead chose to program in a manner that would work for multi-platform.
You're assuming that the developer had the prescience to use _NL instead of \r\n in a situation where a Linux version was not even a consideration at the time.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're assuming that the developer had the prescience to use _NL instead of \r\n in a situation where a Linux version was not even a consideration at the time.
No. You put forth that it cannot be done. I showed it could. You have moved your goalposts.

And still you cant except that everything is handled by an engine. Another example. Opening a File and Read it in C# would be File.ReadAllText(path_to_file); .Net Core / Mono / .Net Framework handle it for each OS. But when we start using functions to access WMI (It's a windows intern database). All the functions are given by .net Framework, but that is something only will work in Windows NOT ON LINUX / MAC / FREEBSD. Ok ok.. but what if we would use a function to access Processes. No Problem, same thing with the different intepreter. BUT if we would use it on Linux with Mono we could get different behavior then on windows, even if its working.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. .NET is a Windows-specific framework. If you elect to target .NET then you have made a specific choice that harms the ability to make it seamlessly multiplatform.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
No. You put forth that it cannot be done. I showed it could. You have moved your goalposts.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. .NET is a Windows-specific framework. If you elect to target .NET then you have made a specific choice that harms the ability to make it seamlessly multiplatform.
Google .net Core and Mono...
It is the same thing as using a self-made Engine.

You know what. Install Unity, download a Open Source Game for Unity. Cross Compile it for everything you can and test. I hope than you will get it.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never moved them. If you have 15,000 lines of code you will not be going over every single line ensuring that every API call is potable, all the while debugging any issues that did not come up on the original platform. Not unless you think the port will be popular enough to offset the porting costs and make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
At this point I think I'll just let you argue with yourself, because apparently you think the Switch is simultaneously powerful enough to run most PS4 ports in 1080p, and also so underpowered that first-party Nintendo games will be forced to run at 720p in docked mode.

:rofl2:

Gta 5 on ps4
gtav_details09122014_004.jpg

Gta 5 on Switch running at 60/1080p
q:100

WTF is everyone's problem???? Switch is just as powerful, as shown above!!!

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think we are currently in gen 8.9, you know why? Because the Switch was an early, intended to be 2015/2016, replacement for the Wii U, and it's more a competitor for the PS4 Pro/XBOX One S. Only the Switch is totally the opposite of the Wii U, so that's why the 8.9.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never moved them. If you have 15,000 lines of code you will not be going over every single line ensuring that every API call is potable, all the while debugging any issues that did not come up on the original platform. Not unless you think the port will be popular enough to offset the porting costs and make it worthwhile.
Ever heard of code review? Every half-way decent tech company has a code review process before code is merged into a project.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
WTF is everyone's problem???? Switch is just as powerful, as shown above!!!
Probably shouldn't use GTA 5 as an example, the devs have said they're excited about Switch and Nintendo has sent out surveys asking about interest in GTA as an IP. You'll likely just end up eating crow.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Ever heard of code review? Every half-way decent tech company has a code review process before code is merged into a project.
You dont review each part of Code. A decent Game can have 15.000 - 1.500.000 lines of code. For that's you have source control. You test your part of the code if it works => Back to the other code. For the final testing you have QA.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are not UE4 games where the default preset is FXAA on. I'm pretty sure BotW is using FXAA, however, and what you're perceiving as jaggies is simply the 900p as a result of being mostly a WiiU port.

The way UR4 was designed, allows features to be clicked off real easily. UR4 can look extremely realist to UR2 level graphics. The most update to date version of UR4 has had much code optimization and many bug fixes. Really the Wii could in theory run unreal 4.1 but it wouldn't look very nice, even though unreal 3 wouldn't run properly at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land