Hardware Nintendo Switch vs PS5 vs Xbox Two (Scorpio)

Which will win in the 9th Generation of Consoles?

• Nintendo Switch

• PS5

• Xbox Two

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
It runs a "modified" Windows 10 that's far more restrictive. Nobody would be happy having that OS on their PC.
So you are saying it runs window 10 but not windows 10? Its just like Windows IoT... it can run, what was they called? Windows UWP Applications?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont review each part of Code. A decent Game can have 15.000 - 1.500.000 lines of code. For that's you have source control. You test your part of the code if it works => Back to the other code. For the final testing you have QA.
Do you have any professional experience working on a large code-base? Because I do. And every thing I wrote went through a code review process to make sure standards were followed, API usages were correct, there were no memory leaks, no duplication, etc.. Code review is real. You don't just write a million lines of code and see if it works. You build that code-base one submission at a time and each part is reviewed before merging it into the project.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have any professional experience working on a large code-base? Because I do. And every thing I wrote went through a code review process to make sure standards were followed, API usages were correct, there were no memory leaks, no duplication, etc.. Code review is real. You don't just write a million lines of code and see if it works. You build that code-base one submission at a time and each part is reviewed before merging it into the project.
Dude i work in a company were we have a work flow. Our main application has around 3 million lines of code. We work with git as source control. Created a feature / fixed something, make a build by ci and give it to the qa. Everythings fine? Merge it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So you are saying it runs window 10 but not windows 10? Its just like Windows IoT... it can run, what was they called? Windows UWP Applications?
It's like halfway to Windows 10, just uses the tile overlay for everything. Let me know when it actually has a desktop and start menu and file browser and reasonable user permissions, then I'll consider it a full version of Windows 10. As-is it's more like Windows 10 starter edition.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
It's like halfway to Windows 10, just uses the tile overlay for everything. Let me know when it actually has a desktop and start menu and file browser and reasonable user permissions, then I'll consider it a full version of Windows 10. As-is it's more like Windows 10 starter edition.
HAHA reasonable user permissions.. Windows! Good one!
Windows doesn't need the start menu or anything. Look up Windows Server Core.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude i work in a company were we have a work flow. Our main application has around 3 million lines of code. We work with git as source control. Created a feature / fixed something, make a build by ci and give it to the qa. Everythings fine? Merge it.
Your company has no code review process? They'll probably regret that in the future. I heard horror stories from my company about the dark ages before they started implementing code reviews into their work flow. And I've witnessed the atrocities in the form of legacy code.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Your company has no code review process? They'll probably regret that in the future. I heard horror stories from my company about the dark ages before they started implementing code reviews into their work flow. And I've witnessed the atrocities in the form of legacy code.
That's why you have a style guide.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Code review doesn't cover hypothetical and unplanned solutions. If a port is not in the cards, code review is not going to give a shit if the code doesn't support a port.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Windows doesn't need the start menu or anything. Look up Windows Server Core.
A full version of Windows 10 does need it, which is what we were discussing. That's why I'm confused as to who MS was trying to score points with by calling it Windows 10 on XB1 and delivering something very different and far more restrictive.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
A full version of Windows 10 does need it, which is what we were discussing. That's why I'm confused as to who MS was trying to score points with by calling it Windows 10 on XB1 and delivering something very different and far more restrictive.
Dude, the UI is just a overlay. On the background you have the Windows Core running. As a layer between Drivers | CORE | UI.
You don't need that... the intepreter work with the core layer D: xbox one is based on that and use a windows core :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dude, the UI is just a overlay. On the background you have the Windows Core running. As a layer between Drivers | CORE | UI.
You don't need that... the intepreter work with the core layer D: xbox one is based on that and use a windows core :D
AFAIK nobody's hacked it to run Windows 10 beyond the tiles, so any way you slice it, it's only got half the functionality of full Win10 at best. I'm not disagreeing that it's a Windows core.

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code review doesn't cover hypothetical and unplanned solutions. If a port is not in the cards, code review is not going to give a shit if the code doesn't support a port.
Yeah, I get it, you've already moved your goalposts there.

That's why you have a style guide.
An unenforced style guide only takes you so far. Code reviews are essential to a good work flow. At my company, passing code review on your ticket's first submission was the exception rather than the rule, and there were a lot of really talented programmers there. I would have serious doubts about joining a company that has no code review process.
https://blog.codinghorror.com/code-reviews-just-do-it/

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
AFAIK nobody's hacked it to run Windows 10 beyond the tiles, so any way you slice it, it's only got half the functionality of full Win10 at best. I'm not disagreeing that it's a Windows core.
xD Windows 10 will maybe get a full new UI called ?"NEON"? if i'm not wrong. Do you want to say that's the old Windows 10 want be a full Windows 10 anymore, because it's different to the new state? Maybe missing functionallity?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I get it, you've already moved your goalposts there.

An unenforced style guide only takes you so far. Code reviews are essential to a good work flow. At my company, passing code review on your ticket's first submission was the exception rather than the rule, and there were a lot of really talented programmers there. I would have serious doubts about joining a company that has no code review process.
https://blog.codinghorror.com/code-reviews-just-do-it/
And thats why you test your changes.
"But laaaagaaacccyyy coooodes noooooo" And? if you do it first time right, than it want be a problem? To say working with Code Review is the best way is like saying working with SCRUM is better than working by tickets. :D
You really should open more your mind for different ways of working.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
xD Windows 10 will maybe get a full new UI called ?"NEON"? if i'm not wrong. Do you want to say that's the old Windows 10 want be a full Windows 10 anymore, because it's different to the new state? Maybe missing functionallity?
Obviously the differences between XB1 and full Win10 aren't limited to just the UI, but you already knew that.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Probably shouldn't use GTA 5 as an example, the devs have said they're excited about Switch and Nintendo has sent out surveys asking about interest in GTA as an IP. You'll likely just end up eating crow.

I figured that using gta would be a bit too much of a stretch for you to comprehend the sarcasm I was going for. So I'll simplify it for you buy using a game announced on the switch.

Fifa for the xbone
images

Fifa for the Switch
images

Switch won't get the same quality of port! Get it?????

Last edited by laudern,
Reactions: DarkIrata

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The PS5 would probably involve VR and the Xbox Two would uhh... more tv?

It's not that the xbox wont have VR, phil spencer talked about this already. He has like every VR device at home, including ps4, but he wants to be sure VR doesn't turn out to be just some expensive gimmick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land