Nintendo Switch Won't Be Getting Virtual Console

switch virtual console .JPG

If you've been wondering when you will finally be able to enjoy Virtual Console games on the Switch, you might be in for some disappointment...

Answering to Kotaku, a Nintendo Spokesperson said that “there are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems.”

“There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections,” the Nintendo spokesperson added. “Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will provide a fun new way to experience classic NES games that will be different from the Virtual Console service, thanks to enhancements such as added online play, voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online app and the various play modes of Nintendo Switch.”

:arrow: SOURCE

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
u sheeps have to pay those same 30yo games which i 've already bought on Wii, wiiu and 3ds in order to play on SWITCH.

source: inside ninty CEO's darkest thoughts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If the leaks are true:

Code:
-Nintendo is ditching the Virtual Console brand and replacing it with ‘Nintendo Classics’. Games offered through this are much cheaper than they were before and is going to launch with NES and GBA games in August with SNES and N64 games being made available late 2018/ early 2019.
That would be great news. I think it would be a terrible move of them not to release SNES, GBA and N64 games, so I expect them to release them at some point anyway even if the rumor turns out to be false.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the leaks are true:

Code:
-Nintendo is ditching the Virtual Console brand and replacing it with ‘Nintendo Classics’. Games offered through this are much cheaper than they were before and is going to launch with NES and GBA games in August with SNES and N64 games being made available late 2018/ early 2019.

if the GBA have online play some how... i will SO BUY A SWITCH!! i would love to play the GBA KIRBY games online with 4 players...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the GBA have online play some how... i will SO BUY A SWITCH!! i would love to play the GBA KIRBY games online with 4 players...
Or even better, Mega man battle network with online play in modern times. Final Fantasy Tactics advance online co-op, classic mario kart online, online legend of zelda 4 swords. :creep:

Seriously, capcom needs to bring back Mega man Battle Network, in modern day it would be a improvement with the new way to play online and wireless communications, and even use real carts as kind of bonuses. "Turn your system into a actual PErsonal Terminal" :yayswitch:

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I could imagine them trying to branch out to become the Netflix of retro games
I wouldn't mind being able to play these classic games in the cloud with the option for local downloads in case you know you're going to be in a area without a decent connection. At least that way, I'm not filling up my Switch's storage with a bunch of classic games.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this is just a greater reason to have Homebrew on the switch. No virtual console outside a couple nes games that you have to pay for monthly? smh

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or even better, Mega man battle network with online play in modern times. Final Fantasy Tactics advance online co-op, classic mario kart online, online legend of zelda 4 swords. :creep:

Seriously, capcom needs to bring back Mega man Battle Network, in modern day it would be a improvement with the new way to play online and wireless communications, and even use real carts as kind of bonuses. "Turn your system into a actual PErsonal Terminal" :yayswitch:

i should check out the battle network games.

i recall playing one of them on the NDS.

i think it was a spin off of BN.

yeah 4 swords would be sick online. those type of Zelda games i like.

any zelda game in 3d (other then Majora's Mask) is ugh.

also i like the NDS Zelda's and the Tri-Force Heroes on 3DS.

D

Deleted User

I guess this is just a greater reason to have Homebrew on the switch. No virtual console outside a couple nes games that you have to pay for monthly? smh
are you seriously complaining about the price of nintendos online service its only 20 bucks a year thats LOADS cheaper than both xbox and playstation

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
“Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will provide a fun new way to experience classic NES games that will be different from the Virtual Console service, thanks to enhancements such as added online play, voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online app and the various play modes of Nintendo Switch.”
So I am looking at this quote right here and it makes it sound like they are removing VC in favor of updating previous features of older games to use newer features. So it sounds like something like VC enhanced? I honestly won't mind if they just added new features to older games as long they didn't remove feature to add them back as something stupid like DLC. Just as long as I actually still get some of my favorite games on the Switch.
Otherwise I will just have to stick to hacking the system and getting them that way (even though that's what I was already planning on doing)

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i should check out the battle network games.
It would be best to try the wii u VC games as they have been modded for good reason. Giving you bonuses that you would normally get if you had use link cable are automatically entitled to you because of the lacking ability to use it, which makes it a good thing. Seriously, that and Super mario advance 4 with the e-reader levels are probably the only WII U VC game mods worth buying compared to most of the other GBA Games offered on eshop.

But in modern times with online networking and wireless systems, it makes these features more fun and intuitive to use than it was before. So GBA games would be perfect for online play. :)

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
On the subject of 'No Virtual Console' story from Nintendo spokesman, I have this to say about my reasons WHY big 'N' dropped the VC.

The reason is 'legal' license terms, and possible lawsuits. -- If big 'N' had Virtual Console, then at some point people that bought the old games on 3DS and Wii U would demand for a way to 'transfer them', and even if Nintendo said no, there would be class-action lawsuit filed at some point, and big 'N' does not wish waste time winning yet another court case, or worse forcing to settle for transfer-rights or to give everyone something back as refund, they seen what has happen to Sony over their PSN lawsuits and OtherOS lawsuits, so to avoid all that 'virtual console' is 100% killed, impossible, never to appear again in any form, shape, that could be called the same.

Instead there is going to be 'packaged libraries' of older games, first we will have months of rolling wheel of selection of NES Classics, then zap it will disappear totally, and then you enjoy months of similar selection of GB Classics, and then so on with some tiny bit of SNES, and GC action, all these 'classic libraries' will be kept 90% on the 'online cloud', so that nintendo will control it more, and can change, remove, add titles as they please with of course added 'online features', all the while keeping the 'game data' off your system itself, only having a core library access module that sucks down the graphical frames/screens from cloud, and passes back your joycon buttons to game in cloud itself.

In other words, no VC, no chance of stored pirated VC ROMs, no chance of people transfering these 'classic games' via file-sharing sites to install on CFW, and no chance to get around paying monthly for them, and no chance in hell of ever having a lawsuit dragging thru the courts to force older/existing customers of VC games from previous consoles/handhelds to be given any form of 'transfer rights', 'discounts' or 'refunds' on their past history of digital purchases.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's retarded, very retarded, and yes, I know what I'm saying, so what? I'm sorry, but I'm not paying for this service, and I won't be updating my console and waiting for the public exploit on 4.1.0 systems just to piss of the white knights who are defending Nintendo's BS decision to do this. So yeah, hackers do what Nintendont.

Now I won't feel bad about downloading ROMs B-)

I never felt bad for downloading ROMs either :lol: Just NES games, nothing else? Boring.

On the subject of 'No Virtual Console' story from Nintendo spokesman, I have this to say about my reasons WHY big 'N' dropped the VC.

Oh boo hoo to them. They can suck it.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: OctolingRift

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3