Nintendo Switch Won't Be Getting Virtual Console

switch virtual console .JPG

If you've been wondering when you will finally be able to enjoy Virtual Console games on the Switch, you might be in for some disappointment...

Answering to Kotaku, a Nintendo Spokesperson said that “there are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems.”

“There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections,” the Nintendo spokesperson added. “Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will provide a fun new way to experience classic NES games that will be different from the Virtual Console service, thanks to enhancements such as added online play, voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online app and the various play modes of Nintendo Switch.”

:arrow: SOURCE

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's retarded, very retarded, and yes, I know what I'm saying, so what? I'm sorry, but I'm not paying for this service, and I won't be updating my console and waiting for the public exploit on 4.1.0 systems just to piss of the white knights who are defending Nintendo's BS decision to do this. So yeah, hackers do what Nintendont.

I never felt bad for downloading ROMs either :lol: Just NES games, nothing else? Boring.

Oh boo hoo to them. They can suck it.
Yes, it sucks.
But chill man. Who cares really.
It's no good reason to get a stroke.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's no reason for people to be sycophantic and accepting it openly like a terminal illness either.
But who does that?
I think all posts in here are somewhat negative about it, yet some of them adult enough to analyse the possible reasoning behind the decision, yet no one is happy about it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But who does that?
I think all posts in here are somewhat negative about it, yet some of them adult enough to analyse the possible reasoning behind the decision, yet no one is happy about it.

Why should they be happy about it? NES games? That's it? Am I the only one who doesn't give a tin schilling about NES games? I grew up on Snes games and by all rights, they should have included at least a few of those like Super Mario World, F-Zero and A Link to the Past. I mean, come on, this is just asinine. Is a few Snes games really that unreasonable to ask for? Or are they incapable of writing a good Snes emulator? I'll be glad once the Switch hacking scene has blown up.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why should they be happy about it? NES games? That's it? Am I the only one who doesn't give a tin schilling about NES games? I grew up on Snes games and by all rights, they should have included at least a few of those like Super Mario World, F-Zero and A Link to the Past. I mean, come on, this is just asinine. Is a few Snes games really that unreasonable to ask for? Or are they incapable of writing a good Snes emulator? I'll be glad once the Switch hacking scene has blown up.

I originally thought they were going to bundle the nes, famicom, snes and super famicom from the minis together to sell on the switch for 60 bucks.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But who is happy?
No one is happy.
The reasoning from garyopa is spot on.
Thet just can't milk it further this way.
Releasing compilations is a new way to milk it and avoid legal annoyances. They will just do that. And I don't care.
I was going to hack my system anyway, this changes nothing.

Reactions: cagycee

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally thought they were going to bundle the nes, famicom, snes and super famicom from the minis together to sell on the switch for 60 bucks.

Nope, I don't even have an NES classic, if I want to play NES, I can use my modded Wii U. And for Snes, I've been using an Analogue Super NT and an SD2SNES, now that it supports Super FX games too, Nintendo's pay to play "VC" service is something I'll be glad not to pay for.

But who is happy?
No one is happy.
The reasoning from garyopa is spot on.
Thet just can't milk it further this way.
Releasing compilations is a new way to milk it and avoid legal annoyances. They will just do that. And I don't care.
I was going to hack my system anyway, this changes nothing.

Yeah, and they're taking the coward's way out to screw their wallets big time, but there's something very cathartic and fun about spiting Nintendo at their own game. Rather then dealing with the legal bull crap of getting licenses (which is stupid as many companies are defunct), they'll just sucker people into re-buying old games, etc. Yeah, no thanks. I'll use RetroArch.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: cagycee

Fluffball

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a technical question here but if Nintendo managed to add online in to old games does that mean they now run native and not emulated?

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
List of Nintendo fuck ups:
1. Used a chip that could be exploited very easily.
2.Will start using a pay to play online system (cheaper then PS4/Xbox tho)
3. No virtual consoles will be coming out.... :unsure:

Last edited by Owenge,

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of a technical question here but if Nintendo managed to add online in to old games does that mean they now run native and not emulated?
You can add extra capabilities games via emulators. For instance, network play and achievements with retroarch. At any rate, the games with "Nintendo Switch Online" sounds more like how "Playstation Now" works. The games are probably being emulated on a server somewhere and the video is streaming to you and your switch is streaming controller inputs to it.

Reactions: Fluffball

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can add extra capabilities games via emulators. For instance, network play and achievements with retroarch. At any rate, the games with "Nintendo Switch Online" sounds more like how "Playstation Now" works. The games are probably being emulated on a server somewhere and the video is streaming to you and your switch is streaming controller inputs to it.

Actually, and I could be wrong, it sounds more like gamepass than PSNow. *like I said.. could be wrong*.

I think the reason the VC brand is being dropped, is now that they have added features it's no longer "Playing like on the original hardware."

Reactions: lexarvn

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Based on how it functions, I understand why the name Virtual Console is no longer being used. These games will always be accessible to you, so long as you continue to pay for Nintendo's online services, and you get the added functionality of all games being playable online with others, even if they're single player games and you want to "pass the controller" for the other player to take a turn. We get 20 games at first and they'll add more as time goes on.

Whatever you consider this new service, it's clearly the VC replacement, and as to how big the library will get and all the systems it will encompass remains to be seen. But with China getting Gamecube and Wii games on the Nvidia Shield, I sure hope they at least give us a few classic Gamecube games. But with only NES games being announced thus far, I'm really not holding my breath on that, or at least on seeing it anytime soon. We'll have to see more for me to know how I really feel about this. I see potential, but knowing Nintendo, this will likely be restricted to the NES and SNES (and maybe GB/GBC) for quite some time before they expand to other systems like the N64, GBA, and hopefully Gamecube. We'll see, but if the service is weak and stays weak, then Nintendo may have made a compelling argument for many to hack out their Switch and install emulators.

Reactions: Tigran and cagycee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3