Nintendo To Change President

nintendo.JPG

After Satoru Iwata passed away in 2015, Tatsumi Kimishima took the helm as President of Nintendo. However, this is soon going to change. According to a Nikkei report, the House of Mario will yet again change presidents. While the report notes that Kimishima will continue as a consultant at Nintendo, it is Shuntaro Furukawa who will hold the position of President. The 46-year old joined Nintendo in 2012 and held several positions since, including Outside Director of the Pokémon Company. He was also involved in the marketing and sales of the Nintendo Switch.

96958A9F889DE0EBEAE5E6E5E4E2E0E4E2E6E0E2E3EAE2E2E2E2E2E2-DSXMZO2987474026042018TJ3001-PN1-3.jpg

Take a look at Nintendo's future president

Nikkei also mentions that the change is not due to 68-year-old Kimishima's performance but rather to "rejuvenate" the management in order to better adapt and provide in the rapidly changing video game industry.

:arrow: SOURCE

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Iirc, it was already stated that Kimishima would be a temporary president until they found who to put. Tbh I wasn't a big fan of him.
I wonder how this one will be

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nikkei also mentions that the change is not due to 68-year-old Kimishima's performance but rather to "rejuvenate" the management in order to better adapt and provide in the rapidly changing video game industry.
So, he’s being ousted whichever way they try to spin it.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My only hope is that he will be closer to the public
Like sir Iwata
Kimishima almost never appeared in videos like Nintendo Direct from what I've seen
I didn't like Kimishima, but maybe I'll like this younger Furukawa :)

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only hope is that he will be closer to the public
Like sir Iwata
Kimishima almost never appeared in videos like Nintendo Direct from what I've seen
This is important for public opinion and I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this. Honestly, one of the big things that people liked about Iwata was his involvement in goofy video segments. It's refreshing to see a high-ranking executive who knows how to have fun and embrace their inner child. I think Reggie brings the same thing to Nintendo of America and that is why he is beloved by many. They embody the spirit of Nintendo which is fun-loving and child-like.

It remains to be seen what kind of president Furukawa will be, but I think the burden of proof is on him. If one does not have a strong public presence, people will fall back on what they know about that individual's background. Iwata had a reputation as an influential programmer on popular titles that are dearly loved, and programming is a skill that pretty much everyone respects. I don't think Furukawa's background helps him. When people hear "marketing and sales", they often think money-hungry, greedy, cheap, or shady; anything to make a quick buck. It might appease stockholders, but your average consumer audience is going to have much more mixed opinions. I think he will need to prove himself before achieving public acceptance, which I think is critical for the President of a company like Nintendo.

Maybe he will be better received in Japan; I'll admit I don't know much about Japanese business. But from my perspective, I would rather know nothing about him than know only that he was in sales. That only makes me worried about the wrong directions he could take things.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is important for public opinion and I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this. Honestly, one of the big things that people liked about Iwata was his involvement in goofy video segments. It's refreshing to see a high-ranking executive who knows how to have fun and embrace their inner child. I think Reggie brings the same thing to Nintendo of America and that is why he is beloved by many. They embody the spirit of Nintendo which is fun-loving and child-like.

It remains to be seen what kind of president Furukawa will be, but I think the burden of proof is on him. If one does not have a strong public presence, people will fall back on what they know about that individual's background. Iwata had a reputation as an influential programmer on popular titles that are dearly loved, and programming is a skill that pretty much everyone respects. I don't think Furukawa's background helps him. When people hear "marketing and sales", they often think money-hungry, greedy, cheap, or shady; anything to make a quick buck. It might appease stockholders, but your average consumer audience is going to have much more mixed opinions. I think he will need to prove himself before achieving public acceptance, which I think is critical for the President of a company like Nintendo.

Maybe he will be better received in Japan; I'll admit I don't know much about Japanese business. But from my perspective, I would rather know nothing about him than know only that he was in sales. That only makes me worried about the wrong directions he could take things.
I agree with you
If he just suddenly appears in Nintendo Directs video and have fun in these video, well, we might say he tries to be like sir Iwata
He first needs to find his own character before showing it to the public
Some may want sir Iwata to come back, but he won't, we don't want a new Iwata that might ruin the image we had of him
So yea... Furukawa needs to find his character before coming to public, he also needs the good timing to bring his presence to the public of Nintendo
A specific moment, like when announcing a long awaited game or such
But it will be his first and only chance to show us his character.
If he fails, I doubt he will be able to come back for futures videos

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of high ups at Nintendo seem to come from the Pokemon company nowdays.

I hope this guy is good for Nintendo. I was kind of hoping Koizumi was gonna be named but ofc that is wishful thinking.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kimishima was probably cut because he didn't have enough hair for the obligatory Iwata-hairstyle.

This guy's sort of pulling it off though.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Kimishima was probably cut because he didn't have enough hair for the obligatory Iwata-hairstyle.

This guy's sort of pulling it off though.
He already looks like a Goomba, sure there's some comedic potential there. /s

We will have to see, but I hope he ends up being as communicative and good meme material as Iwata was.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Maybe go for like someone 30 yrs old.. maybe even a lil younger if you want to rejuvenate stuff.. but i know.. it's a Japanese thing..
It's a compromise. Too old and he may be too backward thinking, too young and he won't have enough experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!