Nintendo Virtual Boy Game Mario Tennis, Planned 2-player mode restored

virtual_boy_link_cable_image_by_StereoBoy.jpg

image by StereoBoy

It's official, the Nintendo Virtual Boy has a working link cable and Mario's Tennis supports it. Thanks to the talented ROM exploration of M.K. (famed attachment: Hyper Fighting), the long forgotten rumor of a 2-player mode has been revived, and to the surprise of gamers, semi-restored. The current state of the patch includes two fully functional working versus modes, singles and doubles. An existing co-op doubles mode also exists but has not yet been fully restored. For more information and the patch, check the links below.

00_nintendo_virtual_boy_review_gbatemp_by_another_world-icon11-gif.79034
Source
184539-download_dark-gif.9176
Download

Eurasiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, was there code in the games for link cable support? Thats nuts....fans really do go above and beyond.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny enough, the other day at Bookman's, and among the used game merch they had, was the controller portion of a virtual boy. Here j was thinking "who's the doofus that turned in just the controller? And who's the one that thought it was worth accepting? I thought they were useless without the other part..."

Then again, I could never really appreciate the virtual boy in part because it was just something about its display just attacked my eyes. I couldn't really play the kiosk models without getting a headache from the blurry mess.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Doesn't change the fact that the Virtual Boy was a shitty console. Still, a part of me wonders how the fuck it would work? The VB seems to be already a bit awkward to use, would you have to place like... two on a table and put your heads on each side? That doesn't seem practical at all. Or was the link cable port in the controller?

StealthSock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The link cable port is on the bottom of the headset unit, as seen in this diagram from the manual:
http://i.imgur.com/agN0rBO.jpg

Tabletop is one option, since there's a stand but I found it worked best lying down face up with gravity keeping it pressed to my head. It wasn't the type of VR headset that let you attach it to your face with straps.

To answer your question about link cables, we can assume the unreleased cable would have been about a meter long, so you would have to be pretty close to player 2 but not quite invading their personal space.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Fans are better than Nintendo itself. While fans try to resurrect lost Co-Op modes, Nintendo sells digital GBA games for 5-10€ while lacking any multiplayer options (e.g. you can even buy fighting games like SSF2T Revival and only play it against CPU on virtual console).

Reactions: tastymeatball

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Discord need to die