Nintendo Wii U Brick

your_sunset

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Hello, everyone. Yesterday I tried to change the language of my Japanese Wii U by changing some files in its MLC, but occasionally I bricked it. Now when I turn the console on it's stuck on Wii U logo. I tried to overwrite original files to change system language to Russian by overwriting storage_mlc \ sys \ title \ 00050010 AND 00050030 folders. This method worked perfectly to me earlier. Also I overwrote /slccmpt01/title/00000001/00000002/data/ setting.txt file when I tried to convert my vWii region from Japanese to European.
GLADLY, I have full NAND backup
As far as I understand I should have messed up when changing MLC, because if I had messed up in SLCMPT I would have had only vWii brick and Wii U would have booted fine.
I have Tiramisu installed. I tried holding + button, but I'm afraid it doesn't boot into Tiramisu (I assume that's because I didn't turn on autoboot into Tiramisu and when turning on it just boots in original Wii U menu).
I have Raspberry Pi Pico and managed to connect via Recover Menu, but unfortunately I don't have any programming skills to use wupclient.py with Python.
So I have a couple of questions:
1. Maybe someone could help with wupclient since there's no instruction over the internet on how to transfer files to mlc via wupclient.py and that would be great because I'm not the only one having these troubles. I would be extremely grateful for that
2. Am I right about thinking it was MLC that messed up?
3. As far as I searched over the internet I didn't manage to find how to restore NAND backup via hardmod if my NAND backup is .bin. Is it possible to convert it to .img and is it needed at all? I would greatly appreciate the link to the hardmod unbrick that will suit my situation

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, I'm wayyyyy over my head with this-- I'm sure some of the things stated here won't work (haven't tested it at all), but I think these are at least some points of interests to look into:
I have Tiramisu installed. I tried holding + button, but I'm afraid it doesn't boot into Tiramisu (I assume that's because I didn't turn on autoboot into Tiramisu and when turning on it just boots in original Wii U menu
Try holding X instead. But if you never setup autoboot then it probably won't work anyways
1. Maybe someone could help with wupclient since there's no instruction over the internet on how to transfer files to mlc via wupclient.py and that would be great because I'm not the only one having these troubles. I would be extremely grateful for that
You'll have to decrypt the mlc using this, grab the files you need, then you can use wupclient.py. There's a WIP writeup for it here if you want to look at it

2. Am I right about thinking it was MLC that messed up?
Probably? Print the logs via Recovery Menu and chuck it over to someone who knows what the logs translate to. You can find those holy propets over yonder

3. As far as I searched over the internet I didn't manage to find how to restore NAND backup via hardmod if my NAND backup is .bin. Is it possible to convert it to .img and is it needed at all? I would greatly appreciate the link to the hardmod unbrick that will suit my situation
I think there's a guide for hardmodding here. While its for CBHC, the guide itself says you can use it to flash a full NAND, and it even touches on what solder points you need to solder to the teensy if you are reflashing NAND. I'm sure someone has asked more about this in the comment section, but I'm burnt out from reading every reply from 20+ pages to answer your initial question. And if no one has asked, then ask in the comments yourself!

There's also this, but its a bit harder to follow (since it wasn't written as a guide but rather a quick and dirty how-to)

Now, for extracting, use this, then grab WiiUQT and check the integrity of the dump... or flip around the order.
If that's still not enough, there's wfs extractor which you can use after getting Img from the first extractor
----------------------------
Good luck!

your_sunset

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus

Young_Thugs_Cup_of_Water thanks for your support :)

I'll be honest, I'm wayyyyy over my head with this-- I'm sure some of the things stated here won't work (haven't tested it at all), but I think these are at least some points of interests to look into:

Try holding X instead. But if you never setup autoboot then it probably won't work anyways

You'll have to decrypt the mlc using this, grab the files you need, then you can use wupclient.py. There's a WIP writeup for it here if you want to look at it

Probably? Print the logs via Recovery Menu and chuck it over to someone who knows what the logs translate to. You can find those holy propets over yonder

I think there's a guide for hardmodding here. While its for CBHC, the guide itself says you can use it to flash a full NAND, and it even touches on what solder points you need to solder to the teensy if you are reflashing NAND. I'm sure someone has asked more about this in the comment section, but I'm burnt out from reading every reply from 20+ pages to answer your initial question. And if no one has asked, then ask in the comments yourself!

There's also this, but its a bit harder to follow (since it wasn't written as a guide but rather a quick and dirty how-to)

Now, for extracting, use this, then grab WiiUQT and check the integrity of the dump... or flip around the order.
If that's still not enough, there's wfs extractor which you can use after getting Img from the first extractor
----------------------------
Good luck!
Thanks for your fulfilling answer! I tried to use WFS Tools v1.0 but it simply doesn't boot on my 64-bit Windows, NAND Extractor works fine for slc.bin and slccmpt.bin, but it can't open mlc.bin. Also I can't open my mlc.bin with NANDBinCheck :(
UPDATE: I figured out how to do this

Last edited by your_sunset,

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it simply doesn't boot on my 64-bit Windows
Did you grab the right one? There should be a build specifically for x64 Windows here, so Idk why it isn't launching for you. I'll try it in my own time when I get the chance.

Btw, the link that's there will automatically start downloading 1.0 windows x64, so try that. If that doesn't work, you might have to bite the bullet and set up a temporary make a Linux VM or dual-boot Linux to use the x86 version of the software.

Oh yeah-- also note that you probably won't be able to fully decrypt the .mlc with WFS tools, but you might be able to decrypt what you need. Good luck!

Last edited by Jediweirdo,

your_sunset

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Did you grab the right one? There should be a build specifically for x64 Windows here, so Idk why it isn't launching for you.

Btw, the link that's there will automatically start downloading 1.0 windows x64 so try that
I extracted it with the help of this thread via cmd.exe - https://gbatemp.net/threads/does-any-know-how-to-use-wfs-extract.582942/
Got some errors, I wonder if this will be bad for hardmod :D
1666667276930.png

Last edited by your_sunset,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat