Nintendo's legal team has stepped in to end development on fanmade Metroid project Prime 2D

!Prime 2D.jpg

To the surprise of few, Nintendo has caused the death of another fan game based on one of its properties. Prime 2D, a reimagining of Metroid Prime, but in a classic 2D style, which first appeared on the internet back in April 2021, and has received multiple updates since, has been shut down. The developers behind the fan project, Team SCU, posted an update to their website, saying that "for legal reasons" they have removed the link to the demo of the game that they had been working on, along with the soundtrack, which consisted of original music composed specifically for it. Team SCU had been working on and off Prime 2D since 2004, meaning it took a handful of months for lawyers to kill a fan game that had been in the making for well over a decade.

This bit of news follows the shutdown of the Project+ bracket at this year's Riptide tournament, while also ironically occurring during the same week as Sonic Amateur Games Expo, in which SEGA actively encourages fans to create fan-made romhacks and even full games based on their properties.

:arrow: Source

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
This is why i hate Nintendo and stopped supporting them years ago. Even worse than them, their hardcore defenders, bald, fat, and ugly 30 years old virgins on the internet. Literal dogshit of a company.

Inb4: I won't reply to any fat bastard saying "it's copyright, they're right!!".
Hey dude, being fat has nothing to do with this. Am fat and hate this shit.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
lol, yeah, if you're doing a project like that here's a free tip, showcase it with under another name and with placeholder sprites then after launch you release a patch "anonymously" with the actual sprites and names.

actually i would do that if i worked in a project like that.

Edit:

you can make a game using non ip content, and then when it is finished, covertly release a mod pack that transforms the game into the IP defilement that it was intended to be.
lol i thought the same.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo can and will raze anything based on their IPs, and will usually steal ideas from them to boot.
Cough Cough Am2r Cough Cough

Really though, as much as i want to feel bad, and don't go thinking i'm defending nintendo here either because their PR department is literally one of the worst ever, but don't fucking announce nintendo fan products until they're finished, yes you'll get a lovely legal threat either way but at least people can immortalize your works if they're fully released, Pokemon Uranium and Am2r are still thriving to this day as examples.

Anyways off i go to mark Metroid Dread on my "To pirate" list, that 80 dollars can get me something from a respectful indie dev or even Sega lmao.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Metroidvania is actually perfect example of something that cannot be trademarked. It’s a term referring to an entire genre of games (not a specific product) and the word itself references two products.
You specifically wouldn't be able to trademark it *because* both the words "Metroid" and "Castlevania" are trademarked. What it refers to is somewhat immaterial, a trademarked name can refer to a range of products. Not that it really matters, of course.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can and will raze anything based on their IPs, and will usually steal ideas from them to boot.

Really though, as much as i want to feel bad, and don't go thinking i'm defending nintendo here either because their PR department is literally one of the worst ever, but don't fucking announce nintendo fan products until they're finished, yes you'll get a lovely legal threat either way but at least people can immortalize your works if they're fully released, Pokemon Uranium and Am2r are still thriving to this day as examples.

Anyways off i go to mark Metroid Dread on my "To pirate" list, that 80 dollars can get me something from a respectful indie dev or even Sega lmao.
why would you want to pirate a shitty game anyways

Deleted member 445482

Antisocial behavior detected.
Trophies
XP
Called it. The devs must be idiots to think it wouldn't have been taken down.

And Mario 35 was a straight ripoff of the fan project. There is no way in hell that it was just a coincidence.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: we need to protect our IP translates to We need to be douchebags to fan devs in my language god forbid i'll be US president I'd scrap the DMCA outright pull the original bill and use it as TP

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why i hate Nintendo and stopped supporting them years ago. Even worse than them, their hardcore defenders, bald, fat, and ugly 30 years old virgins on the internet. Literal dogshit of a company.

Inb4: I won't reply to any fat bastard saying "it's copyright, they're right!!".
Nintendo's legal team is basically why I don't buy Nintendo stuff anymore. If I do it's used so that it's not my money they're getting from me. It's a real shame they continue again and again to take these kinds of actions.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The stockholme's syndrome is real.

Is the problem with Nintendo following and employing the law?

Or is the problem the law?

You can pretty much not give a fuck about NIntendo and live a life without them. People arguing for or against Nintendo are demonstrating a need for Nintendo to be in their lives.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Upsetting to say, but people should stop wasting time making fan-made Nintendo games. Clearly, they don't fucking like them.

or, not show the game UNTIL it finished. release and, one day or more later, nintendo can do whatever they want to shut down the project, but the game is already downloaded by people who going to share in trackers and so on...

Nintendo are known for being extremely litigious, to the point where they're assholes about thier properties, but this is a well known fact and fan made games should be kept quiet until they're done, can't stop the ball once it starts rolling.

this

Last edited by MadMakuFuuma,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?