Homebrew [No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no title error. How i can fix this? I tried lots of things for example, adding new title key and restart same screen :(

Make sure you're on lastest v4.1.2 freeShop. If you're using the .3dsx version, delete everything freeShop related in the 3DS folder. If it's the .cia version, Delete Title and Ticket using FBI under Titles.

Download and reinstall freeShop from the official repo here. Remember to QR scan from that title key site and check all three settings in the freeShop's Update tab.

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's gonna be a while before the music is fixed in freeShop. So in the meantime, I suggest that the music tab should be removed until the bug is fixed.

The music (including BCSTMs) in freeShop has been broken since version 4.0.0 (first release of the community fork).

The code that broke the music in freeShop could be anywhere after version 3.1.8 (Paul's fork).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUYS!!!
https://notabug.org/Paul_GameDev/freeShop/releases

[Placeholder] Release 3.1.9
Paul_GameDev 1 week ago 8 commits to master since this release

Placeholder fo the upcoming 3.1.9 Yooo I'm back from the dead! Ok so 3.1.9 here we go:

• Add Auto-Updater Prompt
  • Actually finish the Theming Engine! (yes I know there are like 3 themes)
  • Bugfixes: Music, Start Crashing Issue, Built-in Theme being shit
  • Give the GUI a bit of a refresh. Nothing special but a bit more modern

Edit - This is not community freeShop (current latest v4.1.2) from the evi repo.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of convincing Paul to do a pull request to the community fork instead of continuing this on his own? I am just suggesting this as it would help to lessen confusion when people ask what is the latest version.
Eh, beats me. I'm just a messenger reporting in about the good news. :)

Devs can be picky about stepping down from their forks if a code merge can't be agreed on or hammered out. This is more prone to happen if there's too many accumulated changes when the split occurred. You either end up with competing standards where either the strongest/most favored branch is the last one standing or both end up in co-existence. See Linux, reinand/Luma3ds, and religious schism for examples of this.

They'll have to work out the details themselves. Luckily, the source codes shouldn't be too different when the community fork was made. It now boils down as to who will claim succession to freeShop's mantle if a re-merge doesn't occur.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of convincing Paul to do a pull request to the community fork instead of continuing this on his own? I am just suggesting this as it would help to lessen confusion when people ask what is the latest version.
Paul would have to make it open source anyway due to GPLv3 licensing requirements, which means that anyone could adapt the code as they want to.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Whats wrong with 4.1.2? It stops loading game info and screenshots.
Does it need to be fixed or I done something wrong?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said that he was going to fix the music playback bug in the 3.1.9 or whatever release but it seems like he has been ignoring that. Which is a shame because I was interested in seeing what his fix was given that I've encountered similar problems.
Yah, that v4.1.3 release didn't include the music bug fix; checked to make sure. It has a slightly smaller font size during the WiFi connection phase compared to v4.1.2. Then again, his release page did state the source code was from evi's repo. Guess that means we wait a little longer for his separate v3.1.9 that'll be coming soon™. haha.

I haven't stress tested this new release, but another noticeable issue is that freeShop tends to freeze from after downloading a few titles, small sized ones included.

Do you take a wager whether Anemone or freeShop gets their music bug fixed first? huehue. :P

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Do you take a wager whether Anemone or freeShop gets their music bug fixed first? huehue. :P
I've already implemented a BCSTM player for BGM previews (based on FreeShop's BCSTM playback implemented wayyy back when Cruel developed freeshop), the issue is that it seems to randomly not work on some consoles with almost no consistency as to what causes it, so I've decided to hold off on pushing to upstream until I have an idea as to what's causing it. I was hoping that whatever Paul's bugfixes were would fix it but I guess I'll have to wait a bit to find out.

The shuffle BGM bug continues to elude me and I hate it

xXPaulMCXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He said that he was going to fix the music playback bug in the 3.1.9 or whatever release but it seems like he has been ignoring that. Which is a shame because I was interested in seeing what his fix was given that I've encountered similar problems.
I'm not ignoring that. 4.1.3 is just a release under my repo because apparently it was supposed to release on May 5th but then it wasn't supposed to(?).
Anyway, I released 4.1.3 for the community edition and the Discord server, give me some time get get working on 3.1.9, I'm doing my last exams this week

Edit:

Oh and btw freeShop currently plays the eShop music only, even ogg files won't play lol

Last edited by xXPaulMCXx,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Jesus christ, this project keeps changing hands so fucking often, I'm having a nightmare of a time manually updating everyone's 3Ds when the devs and/or github breaks shit. (which is quite often) ((KNOCK IT OFF!))

Reactions: xXPaulMCXx

xXPaulMCXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jesus christ, this project keeps changing hands so fucking often, I'm having a nightmare of a time manually updating everyone's 3Ds when the devs and/or github breaks shit. (which is quite often) ((KNOCK IT OFF!))
hey I'm really pissed by that too, but what are we supposed to do?
As long as there's no re-merge I can't really do anything about it.

What I can do:
- Release freeShop (both mine and community) under my fork page
- Manage the auto-updater of my fork

What I can't do:
- Release freeShop under evi's fork
- Manage the auto-updater of that fork

The only thing I could do was change freeShop's URLs to point to my fork, which would result in evi's fork having literally no way of updating that version via the auto-updater anymore..
So yea, not a great idea either.

Maybe you have a solution to the problem?
I'd be glad to hear it ^^

Last edited by xXPaulMCXx,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
hey I'm really pissed by that too, but what are we supposed to do?
As long as there's no re-merge I can't really do anything about it.

What I can do:
- Release freeShop (both mine and community) under my fork page
- Manage the auto-updater of my fork

What I can't do:
- Release freeShop under evi's fork
- Manage the auto-updater of that fork

The only thing I could do was change freeShop's URLs to point to my fork, which would result in evi's fork having literally no way of updating that version via the auto-updater anymore..
So yea, not a great idea either.

Why not make it so that the auto updater checks both links/forks for new versions?
Boom problem solved :lol:

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not make it so that the auto updater checks both links/forks for new versions?
Boom problem solved :lol:
At that point its going to be a thing of having two slightly different freeshops loaded onto your 3ds console. And also more or less the newbies out there creating countless threads whining about which fork of freeshop is going to be the better one.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Make a third fork under a notabug account which both you and evi share. This will serve as the main branch for future auto updates tracing back to this repo. Both yours and his forks stay separate in concurrent development until a true merge is hammered out.

I'm spitballing idea and ready to accept the fact this is super bad.

-or-

Meet up, wear potara earrings/do a fusion dance and become Paul_GameDevi . :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head