• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

No the energy department did not confirm covid19 leaked from a lab

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
A lot of media outlets are missing a key detail from the energy departments report.

If you don't know. Every report has a confidence level. Verying from low. To moderate. To high. The higher the confidence rating, the more likely the information isn't just accurate but also solidly collected.

The energy departments report is low confidence. Meaning "this is a possibility. But we have nothing that can really conclusively make an argument for, or against."
Post automatically merged:

Outlets who either fail to mention either outright. Or fail to make it a serious point to mention the "low confidence" part.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/re...covid-19-likely-came-chinese-lab-need-answers
Fox has two articles. One that does mention the rating in the subtitle. While this one doesn't.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-origin-china-lab-leak-807b7b0a
Can't view the whole article on my phone. But given that it doesn't mention confidence in the first two paragraphs that is in the public eye (which is pretty important) listing it here.

A lot of outlets are saying "it likely came from a lab"
Which is pretty obnoxious given the low confidence level. And likely made for clickbait.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I myself believe more on the more realistic hypothesis that the second best Kazakh journalist was infected by the government, then was sent to the USA in a mission of sending a gift to the Vice President.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I doubt we'll ever get the truth out of China. It could have come from the lab in Wuhan or the market in Wuhan. All we know is that it did indeed start in Wuhan, China. This is also a fact that is in dispute, but from China's end. They claim the USA infected them with COVID whereas the rest of the world agrees it did come from Wuhan. So you can see why there's issues trying to figure out its actual origins.

Deleted member 194275

Trophies
XP
I doubt we'll ever get the truth out of China. It could have come from the lab in Wuhan or the market in Wuhan. All we know is that it did indeed start in Wuhan, China. This is also a fact that is in dispute, but from China's end. They claim the USA infected them with COVID whereas the rest of the world agrees it did come from Wuhan. So you can see why there's issues trying to figure out its actual origins.
when China claimed that the USA infected them with COVID?

Deleted member 194275

Trophies
XP
It was in the news a few years ago. Here's the results of a quick search.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/06/china/china-covid-origin-mic-intl-hnk/index.html
the news itself say that it is not an official position from Chinese government.

The news, from an American portal, say that China is boosting a conspiracy theory on the internet, that's all. (Even that we don't know if is true, but boosting gossips for political reasons is something credible, but not an exclusive Chinese thing, USA is champion on that).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
...but it came from a guy eating a bat... it can't be both things. Whoever ate the bat and started spreading COVID is the person I want to track down and sue for infecting the world. (Providing he hasn't died or anything)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely scenario is that a population of civets or raccoon dogs were infected with a novel corona virus at the market

They likely were already infected at the farm before being brought to Wuhan - it was at the farm where they likely interacted with the bat species that harbors covid

Then at the market the virus jumped into humans twice, and there is phylogenetic evidence to support two crossover events in the market proper from animal to human host

No one actually ate a bat, and it's unlikely it leaked from the lab

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of outlets are saying "it likely came from a lab"
Which is pretty obnoxious given the low confidence level. And likely made for clickbait.
I think they are saying that because that is what the Energy Department (supposedly) said in the report, which is true. In particular, the two sources you provide explicitly mention in the headline that it was what the DoE said. In the fox news article, the major focus/complaint was that originally, anyone who had this view was aggressively dismissed. For their argument, it didn't really matter how confident the DoE was, only that they considered it to be possible. They still probably should have mentioned the confidence level, but whatever.

Looking around, other news outlets are reporting more or less correctly, as far as I can tell. Also, I noticed that apparently the FBI said something similar right before with moderate confidence. In any case, if you want to see good journalism, watch the YouTube channel "Gamers Unbeaten"

Reactions: tabzer

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly likely possibility is: Released to run a Real-World Scenario Testing, just to see how bad it could get. To which I highly doubt anyone would volunteer to be a Test Subject.

Other possible: Government Scientist looking into it, because.....well.....if they dont, the Enemy will. Reminds me of a Half-Life Quote - This is all happening because of you Scientist!! LOL

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely scenario is that a population of civets or raccoon dogs were infected with a novel corona virus at the market
Didn't the DoE and some other departments say it was most likely a lab leak, albeit with low confidence? Unless you disagree which is a valid stance too. So you're not wrong, but maybe not right either. Something like that.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No one actually ate a bat, and it's unlikely it leaked from the lab
keep believing them chinese LIES :glare:
Post automatically merged:

...but it came from a guy eating a bat... it can't be both things. Whoever ate the bat and started spreading COVID is the person I want to track down and sue for infecting the world. (Providing he hasn't died or anything)
a bat had nothing to do with it unless that was the codename for the lab virus : B.A.T number 1

they are in league with russia that's ALL you need to know about them!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
  • Angry
Reactions: Blavla

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20230301_16/

At least, here, FBI says so.

I'm inclined to believe that some of these intelligence agencies already knew the origin, for years (even if it isn't Wuhan). I'm sure even OP already knew it came from a lab, but is trying to be a good American. Don't worry @Nothereed, you are allowed to say it now.

Last edited by tabzer,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So people are still trying to spin Covid as coming from a wet market that just so happens to be next door to a lab that collects coronaviruses and we are supposed to keep believing this.

Do people not know that the majority of Americans, including Democrats, believe that Covid came from a lab?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So people are still trying to spin Covid as coming from a wet market that just so happens to be next door to a lab that collects coronaviruses and we are supposed to keep believing this.

I think a big factor contributing to this type of thinking is that people want to keep the words "vaccination" and "coercion" as far apart as possible. You know, because they already jumped in head first. See how the conversation died with someone unironically saying "cope and seeth" as they cope and seethe.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: TraderPatTX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo