Hacking NTRPack: PC-less b9s install using ntrboot

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great news! I was waiting for something like this since I don't have a CFW source 3ds to apply ntrboot to my new 2ds xl
You still need a cfw 3ds to flash ntrboot to your flashcard (or DS/L, or in the future a powersaves)
This is merely a pack that is run with that ntrboot flashed card that allows you to, after an initial setup from a PC, install b9s without a PC using the ntrboot flashed card.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish we could make a custom version of NTRBoot that stores all the stuff needed on the target console's SD in a romfs stored on the flashcart itself, and have it automatically copy everything after b9s install.

To do that you'd need a custom version of ntr boot flasher that can dump a romfs containing files on the flashcart and a custom version of b9s installer that sources the b9s files from the romfs on the flashcart and then performs some other actions after installing b9s. I'd probably also do away with the key-combo and have it be fully automatic.

The result would be a flashcart that you insert, perform an ntrboot with a magnet- and b9s would automatically install, the files would be copied to the target console's SD card, leaving the system hacked in literal seconds.

If someone wants to steal this idea and make it a reality, please do.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got most of the changes done, and beta tests seem to show it working. Just have to finalize a few things (changing certain things in gm9 scripts), and change the instructions. Easily will be put out tomorrow sometime after work. I'll even be able to do a real-life test tomorrow as I'm meeting a friend after work to update their old a9lh system and hack a few new ones.
If you add secret_sector.bin you should be able to use to to even update a9lh systems.

Edit: With the recent changes you can speedrun this and get it done in about 2 to 3 minutes

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I could make you a downloader application in Java. My A9LHGuideDownloader did this but got the links from me scraping the guide and maintaining a database of the links on my Web page - you can do it a lot more simply by hardcoding the links in. You would be welcome to take my code and strip out the unneeded parts or tell me what you'd like the application to do and I'll implement it. I don't know any python, only Java.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This could be cool, I was using a tablet to manipulate correct files to friends' and my own microSD's for several upgrades and things, just with a OTG microUSB to normal USB thing and kingston dual SD reader. Stuff was great until the tablet stopped recognizing the USB reader until I rebooted it and continued jamming. Pack that install "the basic CFW" files would have helped a lot yesterday now my friend has a Japanese 3DS running just luma but no other additional apps.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got one I've been working on myself. It's specifically meant to be used with my unified configurations in my next AIO, but you can put your own in the folders it looks for. It allows 4 different configurations to be copied to the target. "N3DS" and "O3DS" for both B9S and A9LH. Why do A9LH? Well, because it was there, I guess. Some people still prefer it. I also added a couple of extra files that will boot Safe B9S Installer immediately if run on an A9LH system (even a no-init one). Since you might want to copy more than just the configurations, I also included "XtraStuff_B9S" and "XtraStuff_A9LH" that will ultimately get copied to the root of the target card. Also, this doesn't require the AK2i to run a separate exploit, because it's using the new GM9 that has a payload menu.

For the moment, you'll have to fill the folders with what you want copied to the target. But it may be just the thing for someone looking to make their own customized swap card.

EDIT: After some testing, made some changes. The version of Safe A9LH Installer I included wasn't working. Had to use a v1 version. No big deal. The configuration includes v2.

Attachments

• Swap Card From Hell Ultralite.rar
    411.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Quantumcat

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering what the BootNTRSelector is for and why you need to set luma up to patch arm9.

Please explain since I do not understand what those 2 do.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm on a9lh already, do I follow this guide for bs9?

I've kind of automated A9LH to B9S in my AIO. I included a folder that's meant to work with my configurations without overwriting any files. So you can just copy a configuration and that folder over all at once. Once the installer has run, there's a script in the GM9 scripts menu that erases all the temporary files for you (my hotkey for GM9 is left, little AC/DC reference there). The configurations are a bit outdated though. I've currently got unified ones I'm testing (you can switch chainloaders, and default payloads in BootCTR9 and CBM9, with scripts, and they're all nice and organized in folders). But I want to make sure I didn't royally mess a script up or anything before I hand that out (and I'll have to gut it before I do the one I post here, can't even use the same GM9).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without reading every reply in this thread, I'd like to say that this is overly complicated (too many steps). I did something like this from the beginning, and using a magnet to boot is only ever needed ONCE.

Compiled my own flasher to use ntr_boot.firm and flashed my Ak2I
On the SD: ntr_boot.firm = safeb9sinstaller, boot.firm= Luma
also on the SD is the starter pack with extras (I prefer FBI to install stuff, and of course I include the DSP), Godmode9, Decrypt9WIP, and a couple of other things are already in luma/payload with buttons assigned, gm9 folder with scripts and support files (that can't be uploaded here), etc...

So on the target system, ntrboothax once, then power on while holding X and Godmode9 loads, and you can copy things over like this post says.

Personally, I'd rather use a PC when I can because I don't like to swap cards all day (remove the target to put mine in, then remove mine to put the target back in and save stuff from the ram drive, and I usually throw in a .cia or two that could NOT be done via ram drive), so I'd rather just drag&drop a pre-made folder I put together onto the person's card, then their system is hacked in what seems to be less than a minute, and I can send them on thier way.

Last edited by urherenow,

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tried your package, but it seems my 2ds-es cannot have godmode 1.3.1 as ntrboot.firm as it simply will shut off after trying to loot the ntrboot.firm.
I reverted back to 1.2.8 and it works.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without reading every reply in this thread, I'd like to say that this is overly complicated (too many steps). I did something like this from the beginning, and using a magnet to boot is only ever needed ONCE.

also on the SD is the starter pack with extras (I prefer FBI to install stuff, and of course I include the DSP), Godmode9, Decrypt9WIP, and a couple of other things are already in luma/payload with buttons assigned, gm9 folder with scripts and support files (that can't be uploaded here), etc...

So on the target system, ntrboothax once, then power on while holding X and Godmode9 loads, and you can copy things over like this post says.

Personally, I'd rather use a PC when I can because I don't like to swap cards all day (remove the target to put mine in, then remove mine to put the target back in and save stuff from the ram drive, and I usually throw in a .cia or two that could NOT be done via ram drive), so I'd rather just drag&drop a pre-made folder I put together onto the person's card, then their system is hacked in what seems to be less than a minute, and I can send them on thier way.

I agree. I'm throwing a swap card together mainly just so I can give people quick updates without them having to come to my house. I use my "same card" installer more. And you only need GM9 as "boot.firm" for either of mine. Because GM9 supports a "gm9/payloads" folder as of 1.3.2 (actually, 1.3.1 has chainloading too, you just have to locate Safe B9S Installer on the card, and unlike with the menu, it makes you use a key sequence). So, you can have that launch Safe B9S Installer, boot back into it to run your scripts, and on a one card setup, have it copy your chainloader of choice over "boot.firm" via the final script (I'm lazy, so, there's only two, it would be one but installing Luma to CTRNAND requires an "allow" command, so it's going to ask for a code regardless, and having it as a separate script is good for updating it later). On a swap card, I keep everything that's going to the target card in a couple of folders, then just copy them back to 0:/ so everything goes to the root. No need for a bunch of "cp" commands that way.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That was already being addressed since last night. The pack is already updated on my end, just need to fix a couple strings in scripts and update instructions.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could make you a downloader application in Java. My A9LHGuideDownloader did this but got the links from me scraping the guide and maintaining a database of the links on my Web page - you can do it a lot more simply by hardcoding the links in. You would be welcome to take my code and strip out the unneeded parts or tell me what you'd like the application to do and I'll implement it. I don't know any python, only Java.
That would actually be really awesome if you could. You can check out the current pack for the layout I would like, and I'll make note below of anything that may be harder to figure out

SD\ntrboot.firm - safeb9sinstaller
SD\boot.firm - godmode9.firm
SD\ntrhack\boot.firm - luma
Everything else should be labeled what they are. Some things like DSP1.3dsx probably won't work as it isn't uploaded to github for some reason (only the CIA is).

Oh also for everyone else NTRPack update 1.2 is out. Instructions only needed a little moving around and a few quick changes so that was easy to get done.
Edit: Also if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them! The previous suggestions to make the process easier or quicker are much appreciated!

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk