NXMP Nintendo Switch Media Player

nxmp-banner.jpg

NXMP is an open-source Nintendo Switch media player based on MPV and FFMPEG, supporting a wide range of media file formats and codecs.
NXMP is coded by @proconsule54 and @darkxex

It support HTTP,FTP,SFTP,Samba,NFS streaming and it also support Enigma2 decoders. Starting from 0.7.0 Version it features HW Decoding for H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2 up to 4K HDR@30fps

NXMP it's on early versions and active dev state so expect any kind of bugs, anyways it's fully functional and tested before every release

Project repository|Stable Build
Stable: v0.9.0

Features:
  • HW Decoding (since v0.7.0) for (H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2)
  • Extense support of media file formats and codecs, including audio too as well​
  • Touch and controller support, control the MP as you want​
  • Video deinterlace support
  • Advanced image settings, configure the brightness and color options, change aspect ratio and rotate the screen​
  • Custom subtitles, you can configure options like color, text size and position to your preferences​
  • Full sound EQ, allow adjust the sound equalizer to your preferences, you can define presets too​
  • Chapters navigator with titles support​
  • Selector of Video/Audio/Subtitle tracks during play​
  • Playlist queue, allow to enque desired files on a playlist for non-stop play​
  • Resume play, you can continue your videos where you previusly stop it​
  • Watch status, watched videos are marked as green on file explorer​
  • Shadermania, you can apply any shader compatible with MPV to NXMP​

Media sources supported:
  • Nintendo Switch SD Card
  • USB drive attached to dock or Switch with USB C adapter (FAT, NTFS and EXT4, up to 32 drives)
  • HTTP/S files through network
  • FTP and SFTP files
  • Samba (SMB) files shared throught network
  • NFS
  • Enigma2 (allow to view TV channel from satellite decoders compatible with this protocol)

Screenshoots:

2021110300034400.jpg2021110300031500.jpg2021110300032100.jpg2021110300023000.jpg

Post here any kind of bug/suggestions.
Enjoy!

Thanks to libusbhsfs https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/libusbhsfs for USB drives support
Thanks to @averne for HW Decoding FFMpeg! and for many many hints
Thanks to @bodyXY for the banner and the icons!
Thanks to @Godorowski for player UI design and releated icons
Thanks to @Chocola for beta testing a player guide

Last edited by proconsule54,

averne

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good job on sharing this wonderful update! I'm learning to adopt this hardware acceleration method to improve game streaming homebrew app. May I know how much is the performance gain if I migrate 720p h264 streaming decode from software to hardware? (like chiaki?)

As from opengl vs deko3d comparing image stat, it seems the rendering time is almost the same.
To add to proconsule answer:
  • H264@720p should be doable on the CPU, but with hardware decoding you can free up the CPU almost entirely, and drastically decrease your power consumption.
  • deko3d has much lower driver overhead (comparable to vulkan vs opengl, perhaps even slightly lower). But more importantly, with deko3d you can easily import decoded frame data into gpu textures, without going through expensive copy steps. I wrote a small snippet to illustrate this: gist.github.com/averne/ad479113b133405e6f1b68251013b47a
Putting both things together, you can achieve video playback at almost 0% CPU usage. And going forward, for network playback you'd want to use HEVC for the improved compression, which has a higher decode complexity. Similarly 1080p@60fps will typically not be achievable with software decoding without overclocking.

Growingcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touch Screen is not working for me on Version 0.8.2. I tried disabling and reenabling touch screen but touch is not being recognized in NXMP. I remember reading earlier in this thread that it was working. Not sure if i am doing something wrong or if this is a known bug.

Reactions: proconsule54

Growingcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found the open beta. I have the open beta 0.8.3 on my switch now. Touch is way better than the stable version. Will there be a point where we can navigate completely with touch and no longer need the Joycons to access menus and such? It would make traveling with the switch so much easier if i only want to watch things and not planning on playing any games.

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I found the open beta. I have the open beta 0.8.3 on my switch now. Touch is way better than the stable version. Will there be a point where we can navigate completely with touch and no longer need the Joycons to access menus and such? It would make traveling with the switch so much easier if i only want to watch things and not planning on playing any games.
Yes, is planned to do so. but i changed many many things and the touch is not on top of the current TODO list.
But after the fs transition i am making i will focus more on UI

will67

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tested smb. Works perfectly, connexion very fast.
For Nfs i had to enter exact path to acces the videos. Pointing to root folder of NFS leads to folders not being displayed.

Growingcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this is a bug but in open beta, using bluetooth (airpods),
  • If i pause a video and put the switch to sleep,
  • turn it back later
  • reconnect airpod to bluetooth,
  • resume the video, somtimes i get some crackling in the audio.

If i stop/close the video (not nxmp) -completely, reopen it and start from the beginning again audio is fine. I can jump forward and backwards with no issues in the audio.

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not sure if this is a bug but in open beta, using bluetooth (airpods),
  • If i pause a video and put the switch to sleep,
  • turn it back later
  • reconnect airpod to bluetooth,
  • resume the video, somtimes i get some crackling in the audio.

If i stop/close the video (not nxmp) -completely, reopen it and start from the beginning again audio is fine. I can jump forward and backwards with no issues in the audio.
If you use sdl as audio output use Audren or try the deko3d version (that use it as default and only)

another bug report:

The function "going back to parent directory on back instead of same index of table" doesn't work in the latest Beta.
Thanks for reporting, i am investigating

Dmxjall81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is the main menu pulled too far to the left on the TV? The symbols are cut off on the left and top...!
Post automatically merged:

I've created an nsp forwarder for you !!

Attachments

• Nxmp Media Player Forwarder.zip
    337.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by Dmxjall81,

Growingcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the open beta have the ability to resume a video that was watched earlier? I notice there is no resume but again not sure if this is intended since it's beta

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It could be too much trouble enabling themes at this point of development?
I want the theme system to be usable by user in a simple way, so i am redo the UI also. When all is stable i will refocus on themes.
Post automatically merged:

Here it is
https://mega.nz/file/PtM1CSzQ#4QwactaHZ6_d1H-K49XVXFmvZOupMoAclbUN8LBy_oA
OpenBeta 7
  • Ftp ported to devoptabs using a custom library i made called ugly-ftplib (nomen omen).
  • NFS fixed, now it should work with directory as expected (and fast! is so fast!) @will67 check it.
  • Back should focus on prev directory @Beetlejuice90

Enjoy!

Last edited by proconsule54,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze: Hey :) If I book mark the topic where can I read them?