Octopath Traveler to no longer be a Switch exclusive, confirmed for PC release this summer

bj8LrDK22OZxd9bhupraoJ7PO3zDyX2m.jpg

Last week, we covered the Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee rating Square Enix's Octopath Traveler for release on a new platform. According to the listing, the game would be losing its Nintendo Switch exclusivity, and would be available to play on PC later this year. Those details have now been confirmed, although it appears that things weren't supposed to be announced this early. Square Enix posted a now-deleted blog entry on their site, advertising that Octopath Traveler would launch on Steam on June 7th. Though the post mentioned being able to pre-order the game, there's no way to do so yet, probably because the page wasn't supposed to go live just yet. Originally, Octopath Traveler released for the Nintendo Switch in July of last year, earning critical acclaim for its throwback turn-based gameplay and visual style. You can learn more about it by checking out GBAtemp's official review of the game, here.

We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.

The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.

What is Octopath Traveler about?

Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:

• Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
  • Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
  • Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
  • Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
  • Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
  • Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
  • Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
  • H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.

For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.

Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.

Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.

It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.

Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.

How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?

Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!

:arrow: Source: Wayback Machine

Konako

2B Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only on steam ? if this was on epic store there would be huge riot... oh the irony.
"Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!"
Not only Steam. (also don't forget the grey maket key resellers)

Reactions: Kioku

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Only on steam ? if this was on epic store there would be huge riot... oh the irony.
epic store-only games are paid to be that way, there is a contract actively barring you to publish the game elsewhere for a set time amount; steam-only games are a choice by the developers to not invest in other platforms, for whatever reason they may have. there is no irony, this is a complete false equivalency.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

We've been through this a lot of times that there are big differences that make the Epic Games Store the least favorable option compared to ANYTHING, even Origin and Uplay.

Btw, the game also releases on the Square Enix Store.

However, I can wait until it gets ported to any console in existance and their grandmother.

Reactions: NORBIN

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

The difference here being is that square did this on their own free will.
No deal, what we know of, that is not valves thing.
Square is 100% allowed to release it on GOG too.
But why? more people use Steam than GOG, but having options is always a good thing tbh.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
only first party games would be exclusive.(well.... multi-platform first party games still count as somewhat exclusive, since it's nintendo only:D)

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Pretty fun game and completed it a while back but would probably turn off a lot of people since the game can be grindy and confusing at times.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
octopath traveller to me feels like a 3ds game. It wouldve been perfect for the 3ds and not the switch.
Adapting the game to the 3DS would have been very challenging. It would have to be built on a different unique game engine and undergo substantial visual downgrades.

Despite its seemingly retro aesthetic, the game is actually built on Unreal Engine 4 and uses some fairly advanced graphical techniques. The 3DS doesn't support Unreal 4 or many of the game's more advanced graphical effects.

I do think the game would look quite cool in stereoscopic 3D however. The visuals kind of remind me of miniature diorama scenes. I expect there will be unofficial mods to implement VR support. I don't have a VR headset, but i've got a 3D projector and am interested in trying it on it.

And besides the resolution upgrade and perhaps some other additional options to make the game look cleaner, hopefully the PC port also supports higher framerates. The Switch version was locked at 30fps. It was a turn based RPG and the 30fps cap didn't really hinder the experience. But 60 (or above) is still just looks and feels better as a general rule.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The difference here being is that square did this on their own free will.
No deal, what we know of, that is not valves thing.
Square is 100% allowed to release it on GOG too.
But why? more people use Steam than GOG, but having options is always a good thing tbh.
One of the core policies behind GOG is an opposition to DRM (at least as far as I'm aware, I'm not sure how all-encompassing this is across their entire game library). This policy is almost certainly the reason why Square Enix doesn't release their games on GOG, not because Steam has a larger user base.

Square Enix are huge supporters of DRM. This includes Denuvo, which has been used in almost all of their newer PC releases for the past several years. They've even been retroactively adding in DRM to some of their existing digital releases that didn't previously have it. Recently they updated the Steam ports of FF X and X-2 to require an always online connection to play them.

Last edited by granville,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As I said before, it's wonderful that PC players get an equal opportunity to experience mediocrity.

There's a reason it had a massive hype train for switch and then silence within days of it releasing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol