Hardware Odd no signal issue on Wii

AKarina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi! I can't play with my Wii after I accidentally plugged it to 220v, the power brick exploded so I bought a multivoltage ac adapter, the Wii powers up, runs discs but shows no signal on my tv. I use a component cable that I have been using for a couple of years.

BUT the odd thing happened while I was trying to make it work:

-if I plug the component cable to the Wii while it's running, it's displays the health and safety screen and Wii home screen like normally but glitchy.
So if component cable it's plugged to the Wii, shows no signal screen, but, if I plugged it while it's running shows as "normal" but glitchy and flickering
20230221_143953.jpg
It sounds normal, the Wii home theme plays in the background without distortions.

-I read that it could be the Bluetooth module, but Wii synchs with Wiimote as normally, and sometimes recognizes the sensor bar and shows cursor

-i tried executing a disc game but then turns black and show the no signal screen, but the game is still running and I can turn it off without forcing it, so I think it doesn't freeze.

What should I do now, what should I replace? I searched here and other websites the same issue but doesn't match with the glitchy display issue and Bluetooth module works. Did I half-fried my Wii? Or this issue has nothing to do with the power voltage problem? :(

Last edited by AKarina,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I can't play with my Wii after I accidentally plugged it to 220v, the power brick exploded so I bought a multivoltage ac adapter, the Wii powers up, runs discs but shows no signal on my tv. I use a component cable that I have been using for a couple of years.

BUT the odd thing happened while I was trying to make it work:

-if I plug the AV cable to the Wii while it's running, it's displays the health and safety screen and Wii home screen like normally but glitchy.
So if av cable it's plugged to the Wii, shows no signal screen, but, if I plugged it while it's running shows as "normal" but glitchy and flickering
It sounds normal, the Wii home theme plays in the background without distortions.

-I read that it could be the Bluetooth module, but Wii synchs with Wiimote as normally, and sometimes recognizes the sensor bar and shows cursor

-i tried executing a disc game but then turns black and show the no signal screen, but the game is still running and I can turn it off without forcing it, so I think it doesn't freeze.

What should I do now, what should I replace? I searched here and other websites the same issue but doesn't match with the glitchy display issue and Bluetooth module works. Did I half-fried my Wii? Or this issue has nothing to do with the power voltage problem? :(
Fortunately (for me) I haven't had this problem, and I'm pretty sure there are no recorded cases of this happening, let alone posts on how to solve it.

What did have had before, is the glitchy screen.

Assuming there's no component fault in your Wii, I've seen (personally) glitched screens when the TV/Display is not compatible with EDTV resolutions.

There's also the possibility that the TV/Display isn't fully compatible with Component inputs, thus failing to sync the picture.

Another possibility is that your Component cables are bad or have bad shielding. In which case, replace the cables.

To a less case scenario (but could happen) is a mix of bad cables + TV/Display not compatible with EDTV resolutions.

"But how do I know which is?"
Test another TV/Display.
Test other Component cables.
Revert the Wii's Video Settings to Standard instead of EDTV.

AKarina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Fortunately (for me) I haven't had this problem, and I'm pretty sure there are no recorded cases of this happening, let alone posts on how to solve it.

What did have had before, is the glitchy screen.

Assuming there's no component fault in your Wii, I've seen (personally) glitched screens when the TV/Display is not compatible with EDTV resolutions.

There's also the possibility that the TV/Display isn't fully compatible with Component inputs, thus failing to sync the picture.

Another possibility is that your Component cables are bad or have bad shielding. In which case, replace the cables.

To a less case scenario (but could happen) is a mix of bad cables + TV/Display not compatible with EDTV resolutions.

"But how do I know which is?"
Test another TV/Display.
Test other Component cables.
Revert the Wii's Video Settings to Standard instead of EDTV.

I just tried today all you mentioned thanks for your help!

Another TV: the same no signal/glitchy screen

Other components cable: I don't have other so I tested the same cable on a Wii U which has a port for av and works fine, so my component cables are good

Revert Wii's video settings: was in EDTV, changed to standard and shows exactly the same glitches

So it seems that has nothing to do with setting and cables, and I have been using the same tv before everything happened and was fine, the only thing that is different than before is the power brick which is a generic one, but I don't know if it has anything to do with video output

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It seems you're using "Component" and "AV" interchangeably, but most people equate "AV" with "Composite". Do you have any composite cables to try? It will eliminate the possible 480p problem and verify the video cable is still fine.

AKarina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It seems you're using "Component" and "AV" interchangeably, but most people equate "AV" with "Composite". Do you have any composite cables to try? It will eliminate the possible 480p problem and verify the video cable is still fine.
Oh yes sorry you right, i confused both words, I will try to edit it.
No I don't have composite cables, I just have the component ones.

AKarina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok I figure out something weird...I don't even know how to explain it

I found my old composite cable but without red and white plug so, it just has the yellow one I connected it and didn't work/no signal, but while I was putting back the component cable it started to display image with the blue/component and yellow/composite while just the composite is connected
Untitled90_20230222173247.png
20230222_173813.jpg

The component cable is faulty? It worked fine on Wii U....

Attachments

• Untitled90_20230222173247.png
    Untitled90_20230222173247.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: RiezDanz

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
View attachment 354919

The component cable is faulty? It worked fine on Wii U....
Component separates Video signal in three.
Green carries Luma.
Blue and Red carries Color.

I can get a Greyscale picture just by plugging in the Green Cable over Composite (Green Component input in Yellow Composite Input)

The same could happen if you plug Yellow Composite to Green Component (haven't tested this myself, just assumption)

So this is normal in my experience.

Again, probably your TV/Display is failing to sync the Component signal.

Can you tell me which Brand and Model is your TV/Display?

Reactions: Fishaman P

AKarina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Component separates Video signal in three.
Green carries Luma.
Blue and Red carries Color.

I can get a Greyscale picture just by plugging in the Green Cable over Composite (Green Component input in Yellow Composite Input)

The same could happen if you plug Yellow Composite to Green Component (haven't tested this myself, just assumption)

So this is normal in my experience.

Again, probably your TV/Display is failing to sync the Component signal.

Can you tell me which Brand and Model is your TV/Display?
My tv doesn't have separate composite and component input, the first input is half yellow half green so it works for both component and composite.

I have a Samsung 32" series 4 smart tv

it is possible that the problem could be a wii component? Like the IC chip that encodes audio and video?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My tv doesn't have separate composite and component input, the first input is half yellow half green so it works for both component and composite.

I have a Samsung 32" series 4 smart tv

it is possible that the problem could be a wii component? Like the IC chip that encodes audio and video?
Since you've had the same result in different TV's, and you say your cable works in WiiU, then it's the only thing to rule out.

In order to know, try the cables in another console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8 +1