Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, I tried Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, MegaMan, Sonic, Castlevania, Pokemon & Dragon Ball series, and many other classic games, such as Mother 3, Kingdom Hearts etc. Some of them are chinese version, some of them are hacked version. mGBA works very well, all of them displayed better than open_agb_firm, some of them can't open by open_agb_firm, and most of them can't save on open_agb_firm.
Which ones can't be opened with OAF, and which ones can't save? Feedback on this project is highly welcomed, and if you spotted any bug we can take a look at it.

Reactions: ber71

DarthBellic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For O3DS, gameyob 3DS is slower than mGBA. DSi gameyob does run faster, but it starts slowly and the display effect is poor on 3DS. Maybe GB / GBC VC is the best choice for O3DS.
i just use VC injects for gb/gbc and if not possible then i use gameyob with a custom GBC border (sad we cant save borders per game)

andot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
open_agb_firm uses GBA hardware present on the console. Unless you like savestates and romhacks that depend on emulation bugs, there's not much reason to use an emu vs the real hardware. You basically have a GBA inside your 3DS but prefer to use an emulator.
In fact, most of the games I played are impossible to play on open_agb_firm, because the save type autodetection is always fail.
Which ones can't be opened with OAF, and which ones can't save? Feedback on this project is highly welcomed, and if you spotted any bug we can take a look at it.
can't be opened with OAF:
1. Most of hacked Pokemon series, such as Lets Go Lugia, Let‘s Go Pikachu 4.0, Let’s Go Eevee 4.0 etc.

can't save:
1. Mario & Luigi RPG (iQue Version)
2. Super Mario Advance 3 : Yoshi's Island (Chinese translation version)
3. The Legend Of Zelda Minish Cap (Chinese translation version)
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords (Chinese translation version)
5. Dragon Ball Advance Adventure (Chinese translation version)

Last edited by andot,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the save database likely isn't tuned for Chinese roms or various romhacks. The autodetect is genuinely iffy and really needs the database, but the database probably isn't going beyond official US/JP/EU.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure about iQue releases. The no-intro database should have them. The others are ROM hacks or their hash doesn't match. The database search is via ROM hash.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In fact, most of the games I played are impossible to play on open_agb_firm, because the save type autodetection is always fail.

can't be opened with OAF:
1. Most of hacked Pokemon series, such as Lets Go Lugia, Let‘s Go Pikachu 4.0, Let’s Go Eevee 4.0 etc.

can't save:
1. Mario & Luigi RPG (iQue Version)
2. Super Mario Advance 3 : Yoshi's Island
3. The Legend Of Zelda Minish Cap (Chinese translation version)
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords (Chinese translation version)
5. Dragon Ball Advance Adventure (Chinese translation version)
Look for the save type and use SaveOverride to True in the ini file. I guess you can obtain the save type in PC, using VBA, mGBA or other emulators.

If the save type is not detected, SRAM will be used, and some of those use eeprom.

andot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Look for the save type and use SaveOverride to True in the ini file. I guess you can obtain the save type in PC, using VBA, mGBA or other emulators.

If the save type is not detected, SRAM will be used, and some of those use eeprom.
I can only play the game using the emulator, not sure how to get the save type of the game. It's too hard for me.

andot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Not sure about iQue releases. The no-intro database should have them. The others are ROM hacks or their hash doesn't match. The database search is via ROM hash.
Most iQue games run well with open_agb_firm, I only found Mario & Luigi RPG can't work. Most of the games that can't save are folk Chinese versions or hacked roms.

sir_derpington5

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
I cannot figure out how to change the scaler settings in the latest build to bilinear, i tried individual rom config settings too, any help pls?

Edit: idk what I did differently this time but I fixed it

Last edited by sir_derpington5,

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a solution yet for setting specific EEPROM game saves like Boktai? I've been testing the default save type on different values in the config.ini file but nothing has worked.

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it is a savegame problem and not the lack of custom hardware (the solar thing)?
Actually yeah, and I figured it out by setting the safe type menu to'true' so I could test each and finally find one that worked. The solar hardware can be patched to increase light with a button combination and it seems to work okay so far on openagb.

*Last edit: I did some more testing and made a quick guide on how I got eeprom v122 games to work on this if anyone's interested. - https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-on-patching-boktai-to-work-with-open_agb_firm.608357/

Last edited by Maxwellp,
Reactions: cugel

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be used to edit the game database .bin file? I don't know how the save auto detect works but if a patched boktai save type was specified in that file I think it would solve my issue.

Alacres

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone using an o2DS or o3DS, by chance? The picture seems a lot darker than on my N3DS XL so I was thinking of adjusting the backlight/gamma/brightness settings. Any recommendations?

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using a faily old version of open_agb_firm that I think pre-dates the game database. I'm looking to try the latest version, but it won't recognise any of my existings saves (.sav). I've tried with and without the database enabled.

Can anyone tell me how to get it to work with existing .sav files, and also if the latest version has better circle pad support than the early versions?

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a faily old version of open_agb_firm that I think pre-dates the game database. I'm looking to try the latest version, but it won't recognise any of my existings saves (.sav). I've tried with and without the database enabled.

Can anyone tell me how to get it to work with existing .sav files, and also if the latest version has better circle pad support than the early versions?
The directory where open_agb_firm looks for the .sav files has changed, so it no longer looks for them in the ROM directory, but instead in sd:/3ds/open_agb_firm/saves, so if you move your .sav files there, they should still work.

Reactions: retrospect

Mebius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just recently found out about the project and I have to say, I'm astounded, great work.
There's something that's bugging me though. "GameBoy Wars Advance 1+2" always failed to boot the first title (GameBoy Wars Advance 1) when using VC injects. Open_AGB_FIRM doesn't have that issue.
Now why is that? Wouldn't they theoretically run the same titles since both are just accessing the GBA hardware already present within the 3ds?

daRealist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone using an o2DS or o3DS, by chance? The picture seems a lot darker than on my N3DS XL so I was thinking of adjusting the backlight/gamma/brightness settings. Any recommendations?
I changed the backlit in the ini file on my o2DS to 117 and it looks much better. It was very dark with default value.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: