Gaming Opinion of Pokémon Let's Go's Motion Controls (Poll)

Do you think that motion controls were well implemented?

• Total voters

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
In Pokémon Let's Go, you use the Joycon (or Pokéball Plus) to capture Pokémon by pointing in front of you and then tilting it back to flick it forward as if you were throwing a real Pokéball! Unfortunately, sometimes the controls go jank and miss the Pokémon entirely. What do you guys think about the forced motion controls in this game? Sound off in the polls/posts below!

Reactions: wicksand420

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I can swing the Pokéball the same way and have the game interpret that as two completely different directions.

10AEAB0E-30D6-4253-B7D1-485FF531DF09.gif

CE49DE47-1A20-4AF3-9D08-4B2FADBD6D9D.gif

There have been so many times I've wasted Pokéballs in this way and had Pokémon escape. It's gotten to the point where when I obtain the Master Ball, I'm probably never going to use it because I absolutely do not trust the game's motion controls to not somehow screw up my throw and waste the Master Ball with a forced miss.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted no. Many of you know that I'm a Wii fanatic so in short I LOVE motion controls. That said, the motion controls in the Pokemon Let's Go games leave a lot to be desired. NekoMichi's post is spot on! I've wasted so many fucking Pokeballs that I have to sat that this is the worst implementation of motion controls in a long ass time! I really hope Nintendo creates a patch for this game, especially before December hits. Then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The controls in tabletop/docked mode are completely useless.
I move the JoyCon in the same way every time and my balls fly all over the place.
Also, it feels like the controls work differently depending on where the Pokemon is and whether it's moving or not.
When the Pokemon is standing still directly in front of me, I can throw a ball straight at it fairly reliably, yet when I try to do the same thing while it's back and forth in front of me, my balls fly all over the place. And if I try to aim to the left or right, my balls go in the opposite direction. So I think "hmm, maybe the controls are reversed" and aim the other way, and it still goes in the wrong direction, like nothing I do matters.
I don't understand these controls.
I'm not kidding you when I say that I've wasted 15 balls on trying to catch one Pokemon and not hitting it once, only to have it run away, and this has happened multiple times.
I really don't understand these controls.
In handheld mode you're controlling the camera so you can at least see where you're aiming, and it actually works. I don't understand why they had to make two completely different control schemes when the handheld controls would work just fine in tabletop/docked.
I'm not sure if you're even supposed to be able to aim your throws in tabletop/docked, because it doesn't seem like aiming actually makes a difference. Or maybe I just don't know how to aim. The game doesn't really explain it, so I'm left to guess.
I thought maybe I'm just dumb and don't understand how the controls work, but seeing that other people hate it as much as I do, they are probably as bad as I thought.
They took all the worst parts of how catching works in Pokemon Go, and somehow made it worse. In Pokemon Go when you miss a Pokemon it's either bad timing or you just suck, but here it seems like the aiming itself is RNG when playing tabletop/docked. Couple that with the frustration of the Pokemon knocking your ball away the one or two times you actually DO hit it, and you have a recipe for increasing frustration.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

SouzetsuAerir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't really had any issues with the controls but I dislike that motion controls are forced on you unless you're playing in handheld mode. I have large hands and I can't play more than 30 minutes without my hands starting to cramp. It's even worse with the Pokeball plus accessory.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
What I've noticed is that when the Pokémon is not centered on the screen, you should be swinging the remote horizontally in order to throw in their direction. Many players tend to still throw forwards with a slight left or right tilt, but that doesn't seem to work. Swinging completely horizontally as if you're holding a sword or something appears to work better, sometimes.

I can understand why you would have a capture mechanism like this on Pokémon Go, but not on Let's Go. Pokémon Go is a freemium game so it makes sense to have a system where players quickly burn through consumables and are encouraged to make in-app purchases to replenish them without visiting PokéStops, but Pokémon Let's Go is a stand-alone game without microtransactions, so having a system like this makes no sense and is doing no-one any favours.

At the end of the day, I feel like the two games are made to market each other. If you play Pokémon Go, you might be then inclined to buy a Switch and play Let's Go at home. If you play Let's Go, it might encourage you to download Pokémon Go and play outside. But with this awkward mechanism it makes me want to do neither.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not bad once you're used to the technique. More just a slight flick of the wrist than a full-on throwing motion, as too much momentum always causes a bad throw. For the Pokemon that move around a lot it's much more of a pain, but I just wait until they stop.

GrimyHR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
In Pokémon Let's Go, you use the Joycon (or Pokéball Plus) to capture Pokémon by pointing in front of you and then tilting it back to flick it forward as if you were throwing a real Pokéball! Unfortunately, sometimes the controls go jank and miss the Pokémon entirely. What do you guys think about the forced motion controls in this game? Sound off in the polls/posts below!
there is an option missing, I am fine with handheld controls(which would work fine with pro controller as well, fuck you gamefreak for that) but docked controls are shit

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There have been so many times I've wasted Pokéballs in this way and had Pokémon escape. It's gotten to the point where when I obtain the Master Ball, I'm probably never going to use it because I absolutely do not trust the game's motion controls to not somehow screw up my throw and waste the Master Ball with a forced miss.

The Master Ball still wouldn't miss. Don't worry about that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had one it was fun lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?