Original NES Metroid ported to the SNES by romhacker infidelity

GANZOG3WQAAJCfh.jpg

Renowned romhacker, infidelity, has achieved yet another NES to SNES port for the title that spawned the Metroid franchise, the original NES Metroid.
Infidelity has also previously worked on several other romhacking projects, like the SNES ports of the original NES Megaman 2 and Megaman 4, and more recently, his release of The Legend of Zelda SNES port 6 months ago.

The Metroid port was announced shortly after the release of the Zelda port, and since then he has been posting several updates over at his Twitter account, showcasing the several hurdles and obstacles that he encountered while porting over all of Metroid's quirks and coding from the original 6502 assembly coding into the 16-bit 65816 assembly code that the SNES utilizes.

Infidelity didn't only stop at porting the NES version as-is, but he also added a whole bunch of Quality of Life updates, ranging from MSU-1 audio playback (which gives the option for having high quality CD music), a native save/load function (which has missing from the US release of the original game, but was present in the Japanese one), and even a pause menu similar to that from Super Metroid, with a full list of abilities obtained, and a map feature as well!

1701715490612.png

The current release is sitting at Rev B (version 2), and if more issues are encountered, Infidelity will tackle them and release subsequent revisions of his port.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The archive dot org link in his tweet is down "content removed" and same for his port of LoZ from a few months ago. Which is hilarious, since you can get just about every ROM and iso there you could ever want for retro systems. Not my source of choice but just saying, it's all there.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Should i play this over Zero mission?
Post automatically merged:

People told me to play Zero mission first
There's no reason to play this at all if you intend to play Zero Mission and/or to keep up with the story of Metroid in the modern age.
The only reason you'd want to play this is if you're really interesting in visiting the franchise's first outing, and you're ready to handle all of its annoyances.
Zero Mission is just the defacto way to experience the first Metroid game ever since it came out, and there's little to no reason to go back to the NES version tbh.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
There's no reason to play this at all if you intend to play Zero Mission and/or to keep up with the story of Metroid in the modern age.
The only reason you'd want to play this is if you're really interesting in visiting the franchise's first outing, and you're ready to handle all of its annoyances.
Zero Mission is just the defacto way to experience the first Metroid game ever since it came out, and there's little to no reason to go back to the NES version tbh.
I meant if i should play this snes port over Zero mission

You said this has Quality of life features

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I meant if i should play this snes port over Zero mission

You said this has Quality of life features
Oh I see.
Zero Mission is a full-on remake of the first Metroid, while this is only a port with some added QoL, but even then it's nowhere near the level of improvements and added content that Zero Mission has.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Oh I see.
Zero Mission is a full-on remake of the first Metroid, while this is only a port with some added QoL, but even then it's nowhere near the level of improvements and added content that Zero Mission has.
Ok ill play this after playing dread and then after playing this i'll play the nes versión

Read: never cuz i don't have a switch

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok ill play this after playing dread and then after playing this i'll play the nes versión

Read: never cuz i don't have a switch
Heheheh....
So in laymen's terms then.... If you want to play the original, play this port. Objectively Zero Mission is better, but not original. The NES version IS this version minus the QoL features you want to have (pause, save especially).

Edit: you can play Dread on a toaster thanks to emulation. Yuzu/Ryujinx - superb. You don't need a switch to play switch so you're final point is moot.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Heheheh....
So in laymen's terms then.... If you want to play the original, play this port. Objectively Zero Mission is better, but not original. The NES version IS this version minus the QoL features you want to have (pause, save especially).

Edit: you can play Dread on a toaster thanks to emulation. Yuzu/Ryujinx - superb. You don't need a switch to play switch so you're final point is moot.
My (so-called by you) toaster can't run those games. That final point is valid if you can't buy a Switch or a device that's x times more powerful than a Switch to emulate it...

And I'm not happy to say this, but this is the world everyone lives in.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
firefox_NsgGTVMGdk.png

Welcome to the future of the internet, where you're punished if you try to have fun...
unless its the way corporations want you to have fun.

why bother? zero mission exists ...
no it doesnt.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next