Original Xbox IDE to SATA adapter

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's been a while since I had an original xbox and recently I was gifted 4 consoles with various issues. I managed to take enough parts out of them all and so far get one system working. Since I don't have the tools to do a game save exploit soft mod I used xboxhdm with an old laptop hdd I had laying around. I snagged an IDE to sata adapter and turned of my of waveshare rp2040 zero boards into an eeprom reader to dump the eeprom so I could lock the hdd for the console. I was originally going to zero it out but decided not to since if it didn't work I wouldn't be able to use the original hdd anymore. After I created the HDD and locked it I'm getting an error code 11. I assume it's my IDE to SATA adapter but I'm curious if getting an 80pin IDE cable would solve this instead of getting a new adapter. I already ordered the cable since it's good to have anyway. The adapter doesn't have any jumpers for Master/Slave or CS so I assume it's defaulted to CS. It's a 1.0 so once I get it softmodded I will move on to a TSOP flash (already bridged the solder points) so I don't have to worry about hdd locking. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if I hook the original drive back up the system boots without error. So I know the dvd drive isn't at fault for the error.

Last edited by fringle,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most (if not all) of the PATA to SATA adapters require an 80 pin IDE cable.

Which adapter do you have specifically? The cheaper ones don't tend to work well.

One thing you could try is using external power for the hard drive. No idea if it'd help though.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was one of the cheaper ones I could find. SinLoon SATA Female to 40 pin Male 3.5 inch IDE Adapter. Didn't want to spend much just in case I couldn't get any of the Xboxes running. I don't even have a way to power the drive externally anymore. My only computer is a laptop. Gave away all of my old hardware many years ago that I could have used to unlock the stock hdd and rebuild it with a softmod already intact using xboxhdm.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do need the 80 pin cable to do anything higher than udma2 from what i have read. You can get read errors and failed boots without it and aparently some adapters have major issues that arent the startech one or of the same chipset as that one even with a 80 pin cable. I imagine quallity built 80 pin ide cables are hard to source as well, the first 80 pin cable i had in it would only boot into dash every other boot after i swapped it with another one and haven't had any issues. The adapter needs to have selectable master or slave boot device pins. That said i have this adapter i have ( till a week ago was sitting in a drawer for a while it's about 3 years old,Not sure what chip set this adapter is but i paid maybe $5 usd for it a while back for dreamcast mod stuff and it didn't work for that. ) can boot into dash or xbmc from the most recent cerbios image in udma 5 no issues on boot from a 500gb ssd udma 6 gives me boot issues like no hdd error( udma 5 and 6 have a negiligble diffrence in speed), your millage may vary greatly depending on the ide cable, adapter, or drive used. here are some pictures of mine, i put new caps on mine and bridged the cable select pins with solder to make sure it stays in the right mode. My console is a 1.1 rev that is tsop flashed it isn't chipped (yet).

Attachments

• 20230814_005910.jpg
    20230814_005910.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230814_005904.jpg
    20230814_005904.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230814_004001.jpg
    20230814_004001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230814_003612.jpg
    20230814_003612.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited by wolffangalchemist,
Reactions: fringle

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The reviews I read on amazon last night said this adapter worked with an 80 wire cable so I may be alright. I guess I should have read them before I purchased it. I was going to get a cable at the same time but figured it would work without and I could grab one later. I'm hoping it works anyway as I don't want to sink to much money into this old beast. Out of the 4 I was given 2 are 1.0 and 2 are 1.1. The only problem with this one was that it didn't read disc's, so I pulled a drive from one of the 1.1 that needs most of it's caps replaced. The other 1.0 and 1.1 have hdd issues so will need to get adapters and cables for those when I get around to fixing them. Just happy that I can dump the eeprom fairly easily with the rp2040 zero or else I'd need to buy some modchips.

HadesDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The reviews I read on amazon last night said this adapter worked with an 80 wire cable so I may be alright. I guess I should have read them before I purchased it. I was going to get a cable at the same time but figured it would work without and I could grab one later. I'm hoping it works anyway as I don't want to sink to much money into this old beast. Out of the 4 I was given 2 are 1.0 and 2 are 1.1. The only problem with this one was that it didn't read disc's, so I pulled a drive from one of the 1.1 that needs most of it's caps replaced. The other 1.0 and 1.1 have hdd issues so will need to get adapters and cables for those when I get around to fixing them. Just happy that I can dump the eeprom fairly easily with the rp2040 zero or else I'd need to buy some modchips.
just set UDMA to 2 (if using Cerbios there's an option when building the bios), until you get an 80wires cables

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You do need the 80 pin cable to do anything higher than udma2 from what i have read. You can get read errors and failed boots without it and aparently some adapters have major issues that arent the startech one or of the same chipset as that one even with a 80 pin cable. I imagine quallity built 80 pin ide cables are hard to source as well, the first 80 pin cable i had in it would only boot into dash every other boot after i swapped it with another one and haven't had any issues. The adapter needs to have selectable master or slave boot device pins. That said i have this adapter i have ( till a week ago was sitting in a drawer for a while it's about 3 years old,Not sure what chip set this adapter is but i paid maybe $5 usd for it a while back for dreamcast mod stuff and it didn't work for that. ) can boot into dash or xbmc from the most recent cerbios image in udma 5 no issues on boot from a 500gb ssd udma 6 gives me boot issues like no hdd error( udma 5 and 6 have a negiligble diffrence in speed), your millage may vary greatly depending on the ide cable, adapter, or drive used. here are some pictures of mine, i put new caps on mine and bridged the cable select pins with solder to make sure it stays in the right mode. My console is a 1.1 rev that is tsop flashed it isn't chipped (yet).
Startech ones or a similar adapter using a Marvel chipset is highly recommended than the cheap crappy adapters.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just set UDMA to 2 (if using Cerbios there's an option when building the bios), until you get an 80wires cables
Can't do that if I am unable to at least soft mod it. The only equipment I have to be able to soft mod it is a pc, a usb sata enclosure and xboxhdm. If it won't accept any of my sata drives without throwing up an error 11, I'm stuck until the cable arrives. Ah well. Guess I can wait. I've gone this long without one a few more days shouldn't hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't do that if I am unable to at least soft mod it. The only equipment I have to be able to soft mod it is a pc, a usb sata enclosure and xboxhdm. If it won't accept any of my sata drives without throwing up an error 11, I'm stuck until the cable arrives. Ah well. Guess I can wait. I've gone this long without one a few more days shouldn't hurt.
Wait until you get the proper equipment and then you can do the mod.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait until you get the proper equipment and then you can do the mod.
I've never actually softmodded with a save game exploit. I've always just hot swapped with xboxhdm and hoped for the best. This is my first time using a sata drive though since IDE on computers these days is non existent which makes the process a little more difficult to achieve using this method.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This seems to have worked as a temp work around until the 80 wire cable arrives. Got myself an ide to usb adapter and was able to soft mod the original hdd and then tsop flash with Cerbios.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it seems that this adapter only works as a master device and renders the DVD rom unusable. I ended up ordering the startech one and an SSD since the hard drives that I have here seem to only support Cerbios in UDMA mode 2. They are old notebook sata drives that I've removed from various consoles over the years. Might use this adapter to turn one of the 3 Xboxes I got working into a slim with no DVD rom. I did manage to install a wii2hdmi internally in one of them and I will say it's actually not bad for video quality, much better than the cheap component cables I purchased.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it seems that this adapter only works as a master device and renders the DVD rom unusable. I ended up ordering the startech one and an SSD since the hard drives that I have here seem to only support Cerbios in UDMA mode 2. They are old notebook sata drives that I've removed from various consoles over the years. Might use this adapter to turn one of the 3 Xboxes I got working into a slim with no DVD rom. I did manage to install a wii2hdmi internally in one of them and I will say it's actually not bad for video quality, much better than the cheap component cables I purchased.
Are you using an 80-wire cable and have you set the jumper on the adapter to master?

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using an 80-wire cable and have you set the jumper on the adapter to master?
Unfortunately there is no jumper on this cheap adapter. I got the 80 wire cable I ordered yesterday and it behaves the same as it did with the 40 wire cable with regards to the UDMA mode and DVD rom access. The xbox does boot slightly faster with the 80 wire cable though.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately there is no jumper on this cheap adapter. I got the 80 wire cable I ordered yesterday and it behaves the same as it did with the 40 wire cable with regards to the UDMA mode and DVD rom access. The xbox does boot slightly faster with the 80 wire cable though.
That's why I would advise going with StarTech adapters as they are far more reliable in performance and compatibility.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's why I would advise going with StarTech adapters as they are far more reliable in performance and compatibility.
Makes sense, would be nice if they were a little cheaper though. 2.5x the price is quite the jump. Should be here by Friday so hoping it works as good or better than I'd like it to. I'm sure an SSD is overkill but it was cheaper than buying an equivalent mechanical drive.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got the startech adapter today and still having issues with dvd rom access. It just doesn't want to boot when I set the option in cerbios.ini to enable hdd+dvd rom access. Set the jumper to both master and cable select with the same results. If I set the option in the ini file to HDD and no dvd rom it boots fine but alas, no access to the dvd rom. On a brighter note though I can now use the UDMA mode 5 bios and it works. Could my 80 wire cable be bad or are some Xboxes just picky? I have another 80 wire one coming for one of my other Xboxes but probably won't be here for a couple of weeks.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the startech adapter today and still having issues with dvd rom access. It just doesn't want to boot when I set the option in cerbios.ini to enable hdd+dvd rom access. Set the jumper to both master and cable select with the same results. If I set the option in the ini file to HDD and no dvd rom it boots fine but alas, no access to the dvd rom. On a brighter note though I can now use the UDMA mode 5 bios and it works. Could my 80 wire cable be bad or are some Xboxes just picky? I have another 80 wire one coming for one of my other Xboxes but probably won't be here for a couple of weeks.
it could be the 80 wire cable to a degree, i had two different ones, one would boot and hang with the no hard drive error and only after a reboot would boot properly and the other cable would boot fine every time. could be a issue with newly made cables and quality of materials being used, as the second cable was pulled from a old pc and the first one was a new cable i got off amazon. i am also using UDMA 5 mode cerbios that is tsop flashed it is a version 1.1 console. i am using a sata ssd and not a normal size hdd so maybe try that or a different sata drive if you have one available.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it could be the 80 wire cable to a degree, i had two different ones, one would boot and hang with the no hard drive error and only after a reboot would boot properly and the other cable would boot fine every time. could be a issue with newly made cables and quality of materials being used, as the second cable was pulled from a old pc and the first one was a new cable i got off amazon. i am also using UDMA 5 mode cerbios that is tsop flashed it is a version 1.1 console. i am using a sata ssd and not a normal size hdd so maybe try that or a different sata drive if you have one available.
I actually got an SSD today with the startech adapter and it does the exact same thing. Old thing though is that it is giving me error 13 stating that my UDMA mode is wrong when I enable HDD & DVD and won't even boot into safe mode, and doesn't matter which UDMA mode bios I flash. Once I connect the drive to my pc and set the ini file to HDD & no DVD it boots fine. Plug in the stock drive with the 40 wire cable and the DVD drives work like they should. If I connect the 80 wire cable with the stock drive it's slow as molasses. So it's could be very likely the cable. I've tried multiple drives and it's always the same on 3 different Xboxes, 2-1.0 and 1-1.1.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually got an SSD today with the startech adapter and it does the exact same thing. Old thing though is that it is giving me error 13 stating that my UDMA mode is wrong when I enable HDD & DVD and won't even boot into safe mode, and doesn't matter which UDMA mode bios I flash. Once I connect the drive to my pc and set the ini file to HDD & no DVD it boots fine. Plug in the stock drive with the 40 wire cable and the DVD drives work like they should. If I connect the 80 wire cable with the stock drive it's slow as molasses. So it's could be very likely the cable. I've tried multiple drives and it's always the same on 3 different Xboxes, 2-1.0 and 1-1.1.
have you tried safe mode botting with the eject button? just curious if the boots fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto