• Replies 75

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you can't lock it, it just can't be locked.
Most IDE HDDs are lockable, some aren't.
I've also had drives which said they couldn't be locked that they would be locked in the end.

You could TSOP flash your xbox, circumventing the need for a HDD key.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't lock it, it just can't be locked.
Most IDE HDDs are lockable, some aren't.
I've also had drives which said they couldn't be locked that they would be locked in the end.

You could TSOP flash your xbox, circumventing the need for a HDD key.
I haven't heard of TSOPing. What is that and what is the benefit?

Oh wait, i know what that is. It is like pot tweaking right?

EDIT: nope it is not like that. lol

Last edited by Stephano,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to get an ssd for its reliability and not so much for speed and as well they have a lower capacity i only need 128gb but any ssd/hdd is compatible it its sata?

Wouldn't an SSD eventually face performance issues due to TRIM?

No fussing with hotswapping drives (i killed my stock hdd doing that) and it failed to clone as well. Of course if you arent experienced with soldering than a chip isnt such a good idea, but thats just my 2 cents

I ended up just using the splinter cell method with a cheap memory card/USB reader adapter.

For softmodding without TSOP/modchip I've found it simple enough and it can work on multiple systems if necessary.

The only mistake I made when upgrading a HDD was using the wrong C drive due to my ignorance over the shadow c.

That said, I was buying a HDD for the job or using drives I had lying around, using this guide to check compatibility:
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I haven't heard of TSOPing. What is that and what is the benefit?

Oh wait, i know what that is. It is like pot tweaking right?

EDIT: nope it is not like that. lol

TSOP flashing means you enable write access to the BIOS (by bridging 2 solder points)
This allows you to flash a hacked BIOS, basically a free modchip ;p

Wouldn't an SSD eventually face performance issues due to TRIM?

Not to mention that the Xbox can destroy the SSD quickly as it constantly writes to the X Y and Z swap partitions when loading different games.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TSOP flashing means you enable write access to the BIOS (by bridging 2 solder points)
This allows you to flash a hacked BIOS, basically a free modchip ;p
Makes enough sense. Pretty neat too.
So what does this mean for my extra hard-drive. I watched a few videos on it but they didn't mention the hard-drive in regards to my problem?

EDIT: I found one video on it. So i guess ill just try the TSOP Tutorial and the expanded Hard drive (With TSOP) tutorial

Last edited by Stephano,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Makes enough sense. Pretty neat too.
So what does this mean for my extra hard-drive. I watched a few videos on it but they didn't mention the hard-drive in regards to my problem?

EDIT: I found one video on it. So i guess ill just try the TSOP Tutorial and the expanded Hard drive (With TSOP) tutorial

If you're able to TSOP it, you don't need to use Chimp anymore, you can just insert Slayers CD and format the new harddrive ;p

Make sure you connect your Box first to FTP and backup the C and E drive (F and G as well if you have it)
After you installed the new HDD, you can just delete the C and E drive from the new drive in FTP and copy the backupped C and E (F and G) back to the box.
After that, it's like nothing has ever happened aside from more space.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're able to TSOP it, you don't need to use Chimp anymore, you can just insert Slayers CD and format the new harddrive ;p

Make sure you connect your Box first to FTP and backup the C and E drive (F and G as well if you have it)
After you installed the new HDD, you can just delete the C and E drive from the new drive in FTP and copy the backupped C and E (F and G) back to the box.
After that, it's like nothing has ever happened aside from more space.
Thanks a bunch. I'm taking it apart (for like the 80th time :glare:) now and am getting started. :grog:

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks a bunch. I'm taking it apart (for like the 80th time :glare:) now and am getting started. :grog:

Good luck!
I've disassembled hundreds of them, along with hundreds of 360's so it's nothing for me ;p

Reactions: Stephano

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck!
I've disassembled hundreds of them, along with hundreds of 360's so it's nothing for me ;p
Okay quick question. You know those very small cables on the motherboard that need to be pulled out? (Shown below)
What is the easiest and safest way to pull them out. I always struggle with them and am afraid ill break them.
upload_2017-7-31_15-32-40.png

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay quick question. You know those very small cables on the motherboard that need to be pulled out? (Shown below)
What is the easiest and safest way to pull them out. I always struggle with them and am afraid ill break them.
View attachment 94246

The "proper" way is to probably use a flat-edged plastic spudge to gently pry it up, but when I opened up my xbox a few weeks back I just very gently tugged via the wires, rocking it side to side. Just be delicate and there shouldn't be any problems.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question, how do i know if my console has a Sharp Flash
All i know about it is that it was made in 8-2003 So it must be between versions 1.2 and 1.5

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Another question, how do i know if my console has a Sharp Flash
All i know about it is that it was made in 8-2003 So it must be between versions 1.2 and 1.5

Look at the BIOS flash chip on the top side of the board near 2 pin header sets.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As said, Winbond flash chip yep.

Also from my experience most Maxtor HDD are not lock compatible.

I'm actually glad they aren't!
Horribly loud drives.
I've had first hand experience with them in the late 90's/early 00's and they're just unpleasantly loud ;/

Reactions: daxtsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shy: uh, went out the door, owner saw me. FORGOT MY CLOTHES :tpi::rofl2::blush: +1