Hacking RELEASE Painless Linux - it's Linux, but painless (Windows, Mac OS, Linux & Android)

KitsumiTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wrote the image to an SD Card using Win32 Disk Imager, and I tried 2 different SDHC cards, a Samsung 32GB card, and a Fujifilm 16GB card, but neither of them worked.
It can't find the /dev/mmcblk0p2 and then goes into
Code:
mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.

I've tried using Etcher, Win32DiskImager, DD, and building the partition table myself and none of that has worked so far.

I just got a new SD card today, and it didn't work either?

@natinusala Do you have any ideas?

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xorg has nothing to do with the kernel, unless modesetting is failing, which may come from bad DRM config

I can definitely say that it is a modeset error. Are DRM kernel configs different for each distro?

Outside of compiling, I wonder if the "CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR" location is important when you boot the kernel.

Edit: Once I managed to disable Xorg from autostarting (At first I thought it was GDM, but it was actually SLiM), I was able to ssh into my custom kernel. So at least Arch Linux can boot to a command line. I am going to mess around with dmesg and see if I can find any useful information.

Edit2: Doesn't seem like dmesg is giving any useful information...

Edit3: I am starting to have reasonable suspicion that the prebuilt Arch Linux install is the cause for my problems. I noted that it does not use the standard build of mesa. It instead has a custom version of mesa called "mesa-full-tegra".

Last edited by CuriousTommy,

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because hekate only runs coreboot

I see... but I am still confused as to how to the boot process works (or how coreboot knows where to find the boot.scr file). From I understand, coreboot doesn't contain any Lakka specific paths (when I looked from the patches)...

On a side note, I would assume that we no longer need to build the shofel2 exploit now that it uses hekate instead.

ekson

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hey Tempers,

I rebuild the painless-linux kernel with applied Lakka patches. That means we finally have bluetooth sound, fixed battery indicator and Joycon support in Painless Linux.

Install Painless-Linux as described here:

Then extract the archive attached to this post and patch your Painless-Linux setup as described in the readme.txt.

Big thx to @natinusala for your help. :)

Hi, DarkOrb. I've put your patch into the sd card. The bluetooth audio is work like a charm right now. But I don't know how to use the joycon with your patch. so please explain how to use the joycon in detail.
Thx a lot.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
natinusala
From the github page:
Audio : not working, even through Bluetooth headphones or speakers
I thought it actually was working now through BT or was that limited to lakka?

Edit: Nevermind. If only I would have read the post above mine. :shy:

nickham13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to make a quick post here, I followed all the instructions very closely and I just can't get Linux to boot on my Switch. I've run the exploit multiple times and I've only been able to get that screen with the penguins on it to come up once or twice (it just black-screened after that). I've run Kosmos v12 on it (my OFW version is 7.0.1 if that helps). I think it may have something to do with my SD Card, but I don't have access to a larger one ATM. Are there any tips to make it work? I can run Lakka with no problems but I'd like to get this working in time for sound support.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wanted to make a quick post here, I followed all the instructions very closely and I just can't get Linux to boot on my Switch. I've run the exploit multiple times and I've only been able to get that screen with the penguins on it to come up once or twice (it just black-screened after that). I've run Kosmos v12 on it (my OFW version is 7.0.1 if that helps). I think it may have something to do with my SD Card, but I don't have access to a larger one ATM. Are there any tips to make it work? I can run Lakka with no problems but I'd like to get this working in time for sound support.
This is old distro. Not maintained anymore. Sound implementation is already done, but for now only available in Lakka github to compile by yourself.
Just let it die and wait. Ubuntu l4t distro is WIP.

tansoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Need help with the Painless Linux Distro !!!

I followed the instructions to the letter, but I'm getting really weird behavior from my Switch.

Out of 10 reboots, it only loads Painless Linux once, then good luck getting it to load again after a reboot.

I've tried tracing where this issue is coming from but could not find a reason for this unpredictable boot behavior.

I'm using a 32gb Samsung MicroSD which was 'etched' with the Painless Linux img, and then patched as per patching instructions to get audio to stream via Bluetooth.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MicroSD, verified its storage integrity, and everything checks out.

I even tried the unpatched version of Painless Linux, but still, the same behavior continues, 1 successful boot out of 10 boot attempts.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me understand why this is happening, I'd be greatly thankful.

P.S: I ordered another MicroSD, Samsung EVO Plus 64gb U3 which should arrive today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...