ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, to start off, this guide will ONLY work if you own a PSP-1000 (the original PSP "Phat" model) or an early PSP-2000 (aka "Slim and Lite"). Newer PSP-2000s and PSP-3000s have a different motherboard known as Ta088v3, which prevents this method from working, so before proceeding, you should check that you have a PSP that this method will work with.

For this method, you will need:
  • A PlayStation Portable (either the original "1000" or a compatible "2000" model. The "3000" model is not supported)
  • A "pandora battery"
  • A Memory Stick Duo, larger than 64MB but 4GB or under.

Contents:
1. Making/Buying a pandora battery
2. Making the "Magic Memory Stick"
3. Installing CFW

4. Video tutorial

1. Making/Buying a pandora battery
When installing CFW with this method, a pandora battery is used to bypass the OFW that is already installed to your PSP, and load the service mode that is often used when making repairs to the PSP system. These batteries are quite simple to find with a quick search; DealExtreme currently sells these batteries, though delivery times from this supplier can be rather long.

It is possible to create a pandora battery by hardmodding a standard official PSP battery, though this can be quite difficult, so if you are inexperienced with this, then it would be prudent to simply buy one of these batteries.

Turning a Sony battery into a pandora battery involves severing the lower right leg on the IC04 chip located on the circuit board inside the battery. It is important that this is the only leg that is cut, as cutting other legs may cause unexpected malfunctions.
pandora%5B1%5D.jpg

pandora3%5B1%5D.jpg
When using a PSP-2000, there is a light green track (shown in blue on the picture below) that can be cut instead of the processor leg itself. This is a reversible process, as the cut can be filled using graphite from an ordinary pencil, to act as a semiconductor.

27yd15uyl3%5B1%5D.jpg

2000 battery image taken from the former CFW guide: HERE

2. Making the "Magic Memory Stick"
To make an MMS, I recommend using a program called PSP Grader. The latest version at the time of writing is v008. Once this is downloaded, extract the .zip archive using a program such as WinZIP or WinRAR.

For the next step, you will need the OFW 5.00 EBoot file. Once downloaded, rename the file to 500.PBP. Put the Memory Stick inside your PSP, plug the PSP into your computer via the USB port and run PSP Grader. (You will need 7-zip to extract the .7z archive this file was uploaded in.)

NOTE: It is recommended that you backup any files on your Memory Stick as during the MMS creation process, a format is recommended.

Ensure that after PSP Grader is started, it knows the location of your PSP (E:\ or F:\, for example). Tick Format Memory Stick, and press Load 5.00 Official eBoot. Check which trigger button is selected to the right of the application. The default trigger is the Left Trigger, though this can be changed if you wish. This will be important later. Click Create Pandora Stick and allow the process to complete. After this, you can close the program.

3. Installing CFW
Now, this is the fun part. First of all, insert your pandora battery with the MMS still inserted, whilst holding down the trigger that was configured during the making of the MMS. After a menu is loaded, it's recommended that you plug the PSP in, to ensure that power is not lost during the process.

At the menu, select NAND Operations and choose Dump NAND. The NAND takes up at least 66MB, plus the additional installation files, which is why it is necessary to have a Memory Stick larger than 64MB, otherwise the Memory Stick can be corrupted. After the dump, the PSP will turn off, and you can plug the Memory Stick into the computer to backup the NAND.

Put the Memory Stick back into the PSP, make sure the PSP is unplugged from the power, reinsert the battery while holding the trigger to load the service mode again, and press X to install the CFW. After this installation you can remove the battery and plug the PSP back in (or use a normal battery) and it should have 5.00 M33-4 installed.

From this point, you should upgrade to either 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 GEN-D3. You may also now be interested in using a Prometheus firmware. 5.50 Prometheus-4 can be found here.

4. Video tutorial
Rydian has created a video tutorial for use with this guide, seen below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ydzaf0OZk[/youtube]​

P.S.: Feel free to give constructive feedback, I may update this guide at points with new information, updates and additional links.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Nice guide, not as detailed as it could be, but I shall be using this when I my PSP arrives
tongue.gif

One question though, I'm guessing the NAND backup is for if a brick happens and you want to restore all your stuff, but how do you load the NAND backup? Is there a option in the recovery menu?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Just spotted a mistake. You don't need 5.50GEN-D to upgrade to GEN-D3. GEN-D3 completely reflashes the firmware, I helped a friend flash his psp to 5.00 M33 and then to 5.50 GEN-D3 without the 5.50GEN-D step.

Reactions: Margen67

ProtoKun7

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
luke_c said:
Nice guide, not as detailed as it could be, but I shall be using this when I my PSP arrives
tongue.gif

One question though, I'm guessing the NAND backup is for if a brick happens and you want to restore all your stuff, but how do you load the NAND backup? Is there a option in the recovery menu?
Well, at the time I just wanted to get it done
laugh.gif
I think there might be an option in recovery, I've never actually needed to use it.

QUOTE(Jamstruth @ Feb 13 2010, 01:19 PM) Just spotted a mistake. You don't need 5.50GEN-D to upgrade to GEN-D3. GEN-D3 completely reflashes the firmware, I helped a friend flash his psp to 5.00 M33 and then to 5.50 GEN-D3 without the 5.50GEN-D step.
Yeah, I think deanxxczx Prowler485 mentioned that (probably in the shoutbox) a while ago, I'd forgotten to change it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm... I was doing quite a lot of searching for this and still haven't found an answer.

A guide on how to install themes. Any themes... Mainly custom ones. I read about XMB and some random PSX one... Honestly, it would be nice to tell the differences between the two and how to install these themes.

EDIT: And how to use cheats for PSP Games, and if you can, for GBA Games as well by using the emulator gpSP

EDIT EDIT: And plugins. What they are and how to install them.

ProtoKun7

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not entirely sure about themes or the GBA emulation. With cheats, I used the tutorial on the GBAtemp Cheats forum to install CheatMaster Fusion though, you might want to check that out.

don_eno

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
how do you upgrade from 5.50 gen-c(full) to 5.50 gen-d3. can i play the older games if i upgrade and ps1 games

ProtoKun7

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just download the D3 update; copy the 500.PBP and the PSP folder to your memory stick, and run the updater in the XMB. I believe when it's running, the option is "Flash install GEN-D3" or something along those lines. Older games and PS1 games should run just fine.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
(You will need 7-zip to extract the .7z archive this file was uploaded in.)
Do we have to use 7zip or can we use WinRar?

Also whats the NAND? And is it necessary to download it then back it up?

ProtoKun7

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WinZip and WinRAR won't support .7z. 7zip is free software though, so there's no real reason not to download and use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ