Hacking Paperclip RCM "jig"

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i think the paperclip jig is too harmfull to the contacts... i mean, its a hard metal
my jig i made with bread wires... much flexible, so the chance of damage any part is near 0 and works 100% too

EibFp.jpg

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont know what is the difference between RCM and AutoRCM. RCM is permanently and AutoRCm means I need to do it every time like PS4 5.05 ?
RCM is the Tegra recovery mode, which you need to enter in order to load payloads like ReiNX. A jig like the paperclip jig can be used to enter RCM.

AutoRCM is a semi-permanent software modification made to the Switch that will cause it to automatically boot into RCM each time it's powered on. With AutoRCM installed, you don't need a jig anymore.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RCM is the Tegra recovery mode, which you need to enter in order to load payloads like ReiNX. A jig like the paperclip jig can be used to enter RCM.

AutoRCM is a semi-permanent software modification made to the Switch that will cause it to automatically boot into RCM each time it's powered on. With AutoRCM installed, you don't need a jig anymore.

Ahh.. which is the best one ?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh.. which is the best one ?
That depends on which is easier for you. If you have a reliable jig, then you might not want to install AutoRCM. If you don't have a reliable jig, or if you're entering RCM a lot, then you might want to install AutoRCM after using something like a paperclip or wire to enter RCM once.

Reactions: spotanjo3

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your console cant run out of battery,you need to leave the switch on sleep mode.
Your console's battery can die with AutoRCM installed, but it will take a good while for it to charge back up enough to load Hekate or Horizon and charge normally. It is recommended that one keep his or her Switch in sleep mode if AutoRCM is installed.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your console's battery can die with AutoRCM installed, but it will take a good while for it to charge back up enough to load Hekate or Horizon and charge normally. It is recommended that one keep his or her Switch in sleep mode if AutoRCM is installed.
yes baby i heard you!!

Meriadoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

How much for examples? days? That's a good news, i thought that if the battery dies with auto rcm enabled you have to remove battery to boot again the switch.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How much for examples? days? That's a good news, i thought that if the battery dies with auto rcm enabled you have to remove battery to boot again the switch.
Nope, gave mine enough juice to receive a payload after around 40 minutes of charging, but then I wasn't in a hurry. Plus I leave my switch in RCM mode on the dock many times, it charges fine over night from 50% to 100%.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: Meriadoc

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are like me and are OCD about leaving things on, just reboot into Hekate and select Power Off. I believe there is a similar feature if you are using SX OS.

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for this guide and thanks Resaec for the metric version. I somehow managed to produce a working paperclip rcm and am currently backing up the firmware. It felt like the paperclip was too loose in the rail but it worked and hopefully without any noteworthy stress on the pins.

wiitendo84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made one out of the Christmas ornament hooks...Easy to bend into place but also small enough not to touch other rails either...plus at like 1 dollar you get like 500 of em...so if you mess up you got yourself enough to redo it until you get one that works

nanchan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For it to work following the instruction, but agreed with wiitendo84 that a thinner metal is better. Anyway, this is just temporary for me until my cheapo Chinese jig arrive. In the mean time, auto rcm it is.

RobertX

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
upload_2018-4-25_23-20-4-png.121421

upload_2018-4-25_23-22-6-png.121422

About the pictures, do I slide the paperclip in place and make contact with pins 10 and 1, 7, or 9?

If so, should I just leave the paperclip there when I start the console in RCM?

Sorry, I have to ask; I feel a little confused.

One of the other things I feel confused about is if there is a barrier that blocks the pins.as illustrated in the first picture I posted, but shows that there does not seem to be a barrier in the second photograph..

As I said, I'm sorry for the questions, and I hope to get this matter cleared up.

Thank you.

Tugay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
One question: You set AutoRCM enabled and you did hard reset. Do you still need to push payload from pc or mobile after boot and AutoRCM sequence? Or you just select cfw and thats it?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One question: You set AutoRCM enabled and you did hard reset. Do you still need to push payload from pc or mobile after boot and AutoRCM sequence? Or you just select cfw and thats it?
AutoRCM removes the need for a jig. The exploit still relies on a payload being pushed whether that is done externally via a phone/computer or internally with a dongle/modchip.

Tugay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
AutoRCM removes the need for a jig. The exploit still relies on a payload being pushed whether that is done externally via a phone/computer or internally with a dongle/modchip.

Oh I understand, thank you. I assume it doesn't need payload to be injected again if you don't shutdown the device completely. And the best bet is to stay standby while not using it I think.

turtlejay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a switch thats never been powered on boot into rcm mode? Just wondering if i have to go through all the setup, then power down, then use the jig. Im going to seek out a tutorial as to what to do next, but from what i read once succesfully in rcm mode, its best to backup the nand first. Curious if backing up the nand on a switch that hasnt even been setup makes any difference if its even possible

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a switch thats never been powered on boot into rcm mode? Just wondering if i have to go through all the setup, then power down, then use the jig. Im going to seek out a tutorial as to what to do next, but from what i read once succesfully in rcm mode, its best to backup the nand first. Curious if backing up the nand on a switch that hasnt even been setup makes any difference if its even possible
Yes it can although this is hard to do unless you've got a good jig or something else that is really good at shorting pin 10.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu