PCSX2 emulator gets support for texture dumping and replacement

PCSX2_1.6.0_Windows_10.jpg

Popular PlayStation 2 emulator PCSX2 has gotten a long-requested feature: texture dumping and replacing. Coming courtesy of Stenzek, who recently brought a Vulkan renderer to the emulator as well, it was officially posted as development build v1.7.2389 on February 24 after being put up as a pull request on GitHub the previous weekend. The new tool will allow users to dump textures from a game so that they can be edited or enhanced. It also lets users replace the dumped textures with custom ones from their system. Answering a question on the GitHub page, Stenzek notes that "high res packs will work as expected," meaning simple fan remasters of PS2 games are now possible by upscaling or redrawing textures.

Stenzek posted an example image, replacing the textures on crates in a Ratchet & Clank game.

ps2-emulator-pcsx2-custom-textures-580x334.jpg

:arrow: Source

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And Persona 3 FES HD
On the GitHub page people had questions about the textures coming out semi-transparent or something, and used P3FES as an example. Sten then used it as the example to explain how to do it correctly. So someone else already thought of this and was at least looking into getting it to work

Reactions: k7ra and Zense

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
UI is kind of shit for a PS2 emulator, it's not as accurate as i'd like it to be (especially for being in development 10+ years) and overall it's very slow
UI is getting replaced. Old UI is on lockdown and is waiting for new one to be finished before getting ripped out.

Pics are attached. (not mine)

(Yes, per game settings is a thing now)

Accuracy is slowly improving (with some speed optimizations). Sadly, PS2 is the hipster of video game consoles so emulating it on modern pc's doesn't make that work go any faster with performance in mind. Even for Sony this isn't easy work considering the PS2 software emulators for the PS4 aren't really an alternative to PCSX2.

There's a good reason Stenzek didn't went on creating his own PS2 emu and instead is helping out PCSX2.

20 years now, btw. Lots of code debt adding up in the first 10 years from a lack of proper project management that had to be sorted out. That has changed in around the last 5-6 years with even some complaining that they have become too harsh about added code, but ymmv.

Attachments

• 2022-02-02.png
    2022-02-02.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 2022-02-02-2.png
    2022-02-02-2.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 2022-02-02-5.png
    2022-02-02-5.png
    582.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by Zeze,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch