Photoshop Assistance, Please :)

Caderyn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay this might be difficult to follow, and I apologize for that.

I have an image that I'm converting to a pattern. I turned it into a grid of colors, changed the mode to index, made a color palette, and all that. The issue I have is that I'm restricted to using certain colors, which are on another palette. I'm also restricted to RGB values, so can't convert to anything else... well I guess I could since they're both in the program... anyway...

What I want to do is take my image color palette and compare it to the restricted palette and have it find the closest match. Another way I can describe it is, when I change my color palette, I want my image to also change into the closest matching colors on that palette.

Is this possible? I don't want to have to visually compare them side-by-side... Too many shades of green and blue...

Thanks!

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but if you have an image in one color palette and want to switch it into another, pre-defined one, I'd first make sure to save your palette in .ACT format. Then, go into "Image->Mode->Indexed Color..." and under "Palette" select "Custom...", which should allow you to convert the image to use the palette you generated. Photoshop automatically detects the closest match for each color in the image's current palette to the new palette, and adjusts the image to preserve color accuracy as much as possible. I'm using CS5 by the way, but I believe this works as far back as Photoshop 7.

Edit: .ACO and .PAL should work fine as well, but I haven't personally tested them.

Reactions: 1 person

Caderyn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... So that IS what I'm looking for, but does anyone know of a way to do it to more (about 450) colors? If not I can just pick out the shades I would need to get to the limit for the Color Table. Comparing them side-by-side is actually a lot easier on screen than screen-to-print comparisons. The print is the exact color I need, but the monitor backlight drowns out the print color when I put it up to the screen ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: You need better couch potatoes la +1