Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have already installed rp2040 with v2.5 + unlock.uf2 and it's working normally. Any risk if I don't want to update to v2.6?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great work!
I'm having the idea to try to reball the eMMC as well, didn't get the courage yet :P
Did you have trouble while detaching the chip from the stencil after reflowing the solder paste? And what were the temperatures used in all the steps?
Thanks!
well go ahead no risk no fun just take ur time and dont use to much heat Xd

i starte with preheating the board for 1 min with 100°C then 1 min 200°C after that i went to 280°C waitet a fes and checked if it moved didnt so i bumped it up to 300°C still didnt move so i went to 320 and thats where it moved so i waited a few second and lifted it up, just be carefull and make a picture of all the caps around it in case u knock so off i accedently nocked 2 of but luckly i knew wher there where from thank to my picture :-)

for reballing i started at 100 for 30 seconds then went to 180 my solder past has a melting temp of 138°C thats what is recommended for emmcs , after i saw that all balls formed i let it cool of a bit then i used some isoprop gave it a nice clean as far as i could tryed to remove didnt work taht well so i heated it up a lil with 100°C and gave the balls on top die and bottum a little push and it fell right out .

gave it a nother nice clean with isoprop and picked out al the tiny solder balls that wer between the balls let it dry gave it another nice clean

after that i put a small amount of flux on the board preaheteated to with 100°C for a minute wennt to 220° for a min then added a bit more flux waited a few sec and u could se that the sat in position gave it a little notch make sure it was sitting right and then i let it cool down.

for the perfekt position i made picture of the emmc befor i took it out and set it almoast exactly in the same position befor i started resoldering

Last edited by Dee87,

RiotRetroGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After some successful boots, subsequent failure (as a consequence of the horrible hack to the chip), switching to a -ZERO like we should've started with, a further amount of successful boots, and now further subsequent failure... Any ideas?
It blinks orange (D0) currently, and boots without the chip.

I had the same at one point.
I found I was either crossing a pin on the V1 flex cable (where the wire was soldered to it), or a bad connection on that same pin...

Reactions: dkabot

RiotRetroGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I reinstalled Pikofly taking inspiration from this person's idea. I cut off the shield near the RAM and found that Pikofly sinks slightly deeper! However, as a result of my own attempt, it protruded about 1mm beyond the outer metal plate. But when I tightened the final back cover, I didn't notice any issues due to the cover originally being warped. The perfect amount of space felt like it was waiting for Pikofly, lol.
Sweeeet! 🤩

Only thing you missed was taking off the 'side-clip-rail' for the two big RAM chips on the left hand side looking under the picofly.
It's what the RAM cover you cut away would have clipped onto (mind the tiny caps around it).
The picofly sits lower then.

Looking good however!
Ant

Reactions: handsom_tomato

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

working awesome v2.6 on oled. Thanks mate
please take of the thermal paste from nintendo and apply some different a different one on it XD
Post automatically merged:

I think we should stop with the joke. Someone will think it's real and blame the fw if it happens.
probally :grog:
Post automatically merged:

I think we should stop with the joke. Someone will think it's real and blame the fw if it happens.
probally :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4