Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Contra8bit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Interesting. your 2nd chip sounds just like mine. Please explain what do you mean by " set RBG to another" ? Did you bridge different points from this diagram?
I mean I set RGB bridge to 1st (which works fine from beginning). Just to check. And after that RGB Indication has become like on 2nd chip (green after fw and blue-cyan with PC connection).
As I understand correctly, there some random with rp2040 zero chips. Some of them works normal, other has no LED indication (I have that one - no LED on 2.6, but works fine with 2.5). And RGB bridge can help but we get another LED colors. Some work normal but with another color so RGB bridge also can help.

Last edited by Contra8bit,
Reactions: Dee87

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm sorry if this a silly question, but will a 47ohms carbon resistor work? They don't sell SMDs in my local store

They are the same component and work in the same way so functionally there's no problem. It won't fit as nice in you're switch though.

Reactions: Dee87

nerirififi

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like to add led on my install, is someone have a reference to put ?
Because we don't see the led blinking.

I guess it must be Rgb led if I want to have all color, but I don't know if that exist in 2 pins.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would like to add led on my install, is someone have a reference to put ?
Because we don't see the led blinking.

I guess it must be Rgb led if I want to have all color, but I don't know if that exist in 2 pins.
If u have the rp2040 u already have a led installed .
When u flash the rp2040 u have to push the boot button and plug it in , then drag and drop a few seconds later u see a short led color it is gonna be eather red or green.
If its red everything is fine u don't need to set rgb mode (pins are on the backside of the rp2040)
If u get a green flash u need to set rgb mode (pins on the backside of the rp2040.

Reactions: FreeLander

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you install the chip in the position most people use (below the fan), you can see the LED by looking into the fan exhaust at the top of the console. The LED is bright enough to see the colors from there. At least on my V1 models, that's the case.

Reactions: Phantomas77

nerirififi

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If u have the rp2040 u already have a led installed .
When u flash the rp2040 u have to push the boot button and plug it in , then drag and drop a few seconds later u see a short led color it is gonna be eather red or green.
If its red everything is fine u don't need to set rgb mode (pins are on the backside of the rp2040)
If u get a green flash u need to set rgb mode (pins on the backside of the rp2040.

No in fact I would like to add a led at the bottom of the shield like HWFLY, I want to see led blinking, I don't see that on my install and switch work fine.

Maybe I have to solder directly on the led of the modchip for add another led.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No in fact I would like to add a led at the bottom of the shield like HWFLY, I want to see led blinking, I don't see that on my install and switch work fine.

Maybe I have to solder directly on the led of the modchip for add another led.
well eather take the one on the chip of remember position solder wires on it and lay it down to where u see it
or for V1/v2/lite install look through the fan exhaust and for old look air intake at the bottum

Reactions: nerirififi

nerirififi

Trophies
XP
Country
France
well eather take the one on the chip of remember position solder wires on it and lay it down to where u see it
or for V1/v2/lite install look through the fan exhaust and for old look air intake at the bottum

yes I think it could be a solution, inverse the position of the modchip, for have led more as possible at the bottom of the shield.
I will try on my next switch.

Kumarkanabisa

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi all. Tell me how to install pi pico. What does detected by thermal sensor on pin 29?
Post automatically merged:

Hi all. Tell me how to install pi pico. What does detected by thermal sensor on pin 29?

angelC992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
For the love of all things god and holy (and my sanity) do a full complete system backup (emmc + boot 0/1 + keys) then back them up

Not sure on the seller, but the chip itself is legit and better than hwfly

Boths backups can be done in hekate? With a unpatched V1 I did a nand backup only.

DynaMight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick sanity check before I remove the USB port for good (hopefully) I havent installed it into my Lite yet. I have previously flashed the 2.5+Unlock file, the single AIO file. I've just flashed over the 2.6Alpha, do I also need to flash the unlock afterwards or is it all built in now too? Thanks

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just a quick sanity check before I remove the USB port for good (hopefully) I havent installed it into my Lite yet. I have previously flashed the 2.5+Unlock file, the single AIO file. I've just flashed over the 2.6Alpha, do I also need to flash the unlock afterwards or is it all built in now too? Thanks
just flash the unlock.uf2 to make sure it works.
i would also test install it befor removing everything

Mr Skinner

Trophies
Website
www.nerdfy.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
dat0_adapters_large.jpg
1680873054785.png

Switch OLED adapter Solderless adapter for eMMC DAT0 point from muna.io are reliable? or just the other models are better?

iO-bUGGY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Had problems with those cheap CPU flex in the past, the transistors were poorly soldered, on not soldered at all for some points. You should check the continuity not only for the Gate connection (coming from Pico to the transistor), but as well for Drain and Source of each MOSFET --> the continuity should be good from MOSFET pin up to the point on the flex where you solder them to the caps.

I had the NP2016 on my flex, so I imagine it's the same as yours. If so, here's a pinout for you:

View attachment 363327
I've installed the mosfet directly to the cpu as I had the flex broken when testing source, No continuety.
But after hours of testing I don't know why I lost 3.3v on +7780 ic is missing 1.8v enable to start produce the 3.3v and when testing the caps near the +7780 it only rised up to 0.056mv.
So now I'm trying now to fix the switch then will resume with the rp2040.

Hope I get it fixed fingers crossed.:D

If anyone came a cross this problem pm me or reply.
Will need some help here.:)

Reactions: Phantomas77

FlowerFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, tragedy struck.
My fault for not listening to advices about wires thickness and stuff, I ended up buying a 0.35mm wire, which was indeed too thick. Tried stuff anyway but it was a bad idea. I bridged the 3v3 capacitor with the one just above it and in the attempt of cleaning the small bridge, something weird happened and I tried to take a pic in the best way my phone could.

The bridge is now clean BUT a very small stain of solder is now attached to the microscopic capacitor to the right. I can't manage to get it off, it's also lying very low as if it was a very thin layer of solder directly on the pcb.
I suspect it may be caused by a residue of a desoldering wick or a tiny part that came off from the 3v3 capacitor.

At the moment, doing a continuity test doesn't trigger any result, concerning the sorrounding components.

If someone with more knowledge could help me with the following:
  • Understand if there's indeed no short due to the blob of solder and subsequently just leave it there with maybe a small dab of hot glue
  • Understand if the 3v3 cap is still working and is still well attached to the pcb, because I don't know about another test point (maybe the one beneath the emmc? But still it's quite hard to reach)
  • When will it be safe to turn the Switch on again. Of course the battery has been detached since the removal of the backplate.
Hopefully, someone will be able to help
Edit: It's a patched V1
View attachment 363402
Can anyone please help me with this? I think I succesfully fixed any bridge, but I need to understand if the 3v3 capacitor is still well connected to the pcb. Is there a point where I can test continuity to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol