Pillars of Eternity II's Switch port appears to be canceled

header (2).jpg

It looks like the Nintendo Switch is losing out on a previously announced game. Revealed back in 2018, Obsidian's sequel RPG, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, was delayed, only to apparently be fully canceled. The publisher in charge of the port, Versus Evil, posted an announcement on their official Dsicord server, claiming that the project was canceled.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, we have decided not to move forward with Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire for the Nintendo Switch.

Versus Evil was also in charge of porting the first Pillars of Eternity game to the Switch, which the team eventually stopped releasing performance patches for, despite numerous issues with the Switch port. If you're interested in playing the game, you'll have to pick it up on PC, Xbox One, or PlayStation 4.

:arrow: Source: https://discord.com/invite/versusevil

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is really good news! Many people will be spared to the oblivion which lies in this port.

The PS4 port of the 1st game was a bugfest. It was nearly impossible to complete I had to restart the game 3 times to get through those bugs. And the load times were awful. It took 2 mins to load a midgame save from a ssd. I liked the story but the technical problems the title had convinced me to skip the 2nd game (it is a much bigger game on the same engine)

I can't imagine how bad it would have been if they released this on switch.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't have bought it anyways after Versus Evil ripped me off with the first one.

Wow. That's why Nintendo Switch hardware is not powerful enough. Nintendo is too past and CPU/GPU/RAM/storage hardware are over due for upgrade toward Nintendo Switch 2 will handle this game fine.

I agree that the Switch hardware is outdated, but that's not why this port sucked. It's the Versus Evil devs who didn't know what they were doing, and/or weren't given enough time to optimize it before release.

Also, the problem with the first port wasn't really performance, it was extremely long loading times (walking through a door means sitting around for 2-3 minutes until the next area loads) and bugs that broke or crashed the game, and sometimes even corrupted your save file.

Reactions: console

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. That's why Nintendo Switch hardware is not powerful enough. Nintendo is too past and CPU/GPU/RAM/storage hardware are over due for upgrade toward Nintendo Switch 2 will handle this game fine.

PC, PlayStation and Xbox will handle fine.

Don't buy Nintendo Switch now, because hardware is not strong enough but still weak. We know Nintendo Switch hardware is worst than PC, PlayStation and Xbox.

No shit.

• Sad
Reactions: console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok