Piracy is on the rise, according to UK study

yaerr.png

More people continue to turn to piracy, a trend that has been growing since 2020, according to piracy tracker MUSO. With the advent of more streaming services than ever, online media consumers are pirating dramatically more, especially when it comes to film and publishing. Piracy is on the rise in all categories, which include TV, film, publishing, music, and software, with an increase of 20% over last year. Film piracy is up by a whopping 47%, with publishing-related piracy up by almost 40%, while TV and software both went up by about 10% each. Piracy of music saw the lowest growth, of less than 5%, but an increase nonetheless.

MUSO measured a variety of statistics, comparing illegal streaming sites versus illegal download sites. Overall, 54% of all piracy-related traffic goes toward streaming sites, while the rest is to torrent and download sites. A whopping 95.1% of pirated TV content is streamed, rather than downloaded, while the split is more even when it comes to film or music. According to the numbers, over 60% of traffic is direct, and only 28% comes from Google, or other search engine results. Most piracy occurs in the United States which has a moderate lead over the rest of the world, with Russia, India, and China following behind.

Prior to 2020, piracy traffic did not have such large growths, and in the 2010s, even saw a decline in most countries.

:arrow: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Shocking thread this... all of you openly admitting to piracy, yet poor Mr Netflix/Apple/Amazon exec is presumably once again travelling home in the rain, on a bicycle with a wonky wheel, crying tears of poverty, and feeding his kids a slice of toast each for dinner coz they've got no money for anything else - you should all be fukkin ashamed.....:angry:
good fuck all 3 exspecially Apple :rofl2:

Reactions: Snintendog

Emperor_Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a study to know that piracy has run rampant for years. It may be 'on the rise' but it's been a large problem for the music, film, and gaming industries for decades at this point. Yet the people that make these things still make bank, so it's hard for me to feel too bad for them, at this point, I'm sure most of those people just automatically factor in piracy on their outlook on how well they think their media will sell and perform.
I have no evidence to back it up with, but I'm reasonably sure companies already do this to some degree. It has to be present in discussions of DRM addition at the very least, as it is a process that takes at least some time and a surprisingly large amount of money too. For reference, look up the leaked documents from Crytek showing how much they spent on Denuvo.

Although, it always begs the question of how many pirates were even going to buy the game in the first place?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Shocking thread this... all of you openly admitting to piracy, yet poor Mr Netflix/Apple/Amazon exec is presumably once again travelling home in the rain, on a bicycle with a wonky wheel, crying tears of poverty, and feeding his kids a slice of toast each for dinner coz they've got no money for anything else - you should all be fukkin ashamed.....:angry:
that big companies make me to thing about a child poem from my country <<La pobre viejecita>> (Poor old lady)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poor_Old_Lady_(La_Pobre_viejecita)

whom have nothing to eat,
But meat, fruit, sweets,
Cakes, eggs, bread and fish...

Reactions: Otani-kun

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy of games is a kinda different beast. Consoles get harder to mod over time so there's less ROI on getting a console to play more than the catalog for it allows. I could see this having a chilling effect of killing immediate console sales and instead promoting a secondhand market five or even ten years down the line as the consoles go EOL. (EDIT: or conversely, boosting sales of first-release consoles that then go to hoarding and are never used, because everyone waits for the units to become hackable, which would hurt the sales of online-first games) Hopefully instead of walled consoles, stuff like the Steam Deck that runs a fully available Linux system becomes more of the norm,
That's just mostly pirates waiting for a console to become hackable. Everyone else are buying games.

jesus96

Pinkboi
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well if the official ways to watch some content suddenly do stupid stuff like HBO MAX or Netflix i don't blame people

Specially with warner,heck even official creators want people to pirate their stuff just to not become lost media

Reactions: Kitocco

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Piracy went Up ? I thought with Prices going up und salaries staying the same or going down would make the economy strong and People start buying more?

I'm obviously sarcastic, a few years ago (before corona started) we had a lot of good deals but now nobody cares anymore and it's like buy it full price or leave it.

They should ask themself why.

Also, Amazon destroys the Market because almost Everybody is buying from Amazon, I stopped buying from Amazon because I hate that one big Company has a Monopoly.

And btw: On PC I only pirate software because I don't support Digital only, bring back the classic physical Games to PC and I will buy them.

Next Question is, why should I pay for Potato Quality Streaming? If I want to watch a Movie, I will buy the Bluray, if it's only a Digital exclusive to Amazon or Netflix, there are nice websites that provide you with a Free Rip of the Movie.
Not only the Quality sucks, also the quantity is low, why should I pay for a subscription where they have only 2-3 new Movies and it's random if it's a good Movie or some Garbage like Bollywood or other Regional Movies.
even used goods/consoles are ridiculous my local brick and mortor wanted $170 for a used ps2 slim.............170! bought used off facebook for $80 will arrive monday
Post automatically merged:

no it isn't the big companies being hurt by Piracy no matter what you think it's the subcontracted game developers being stiffed by the gig work they do (yes cccompanies like nintendo are outsourcing work for cheaper pay then after their done with them toss them like a sack of garbage to the curb, and you wonder why pokemon games are getting leaks of info during production? devs are pissed especially outsourced to china they get little pay no benifets and get no job security

Last edited by chrisrlink,
Reactions: ZeroT21

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't even get to own most of the games we play anymore, so there's not much difference with piracy if looking at it with that perspective :rofl2:

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk