Homebrew Homebrew game [Release] Sonic Mania (3DS Port)

HiSaturnV

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
2022-09-12_17-35-05.889_top.png

It's Sonic Mania. On your (New) 3DS.

This port is based on the recent decompilation done by Rubberduckycooly and Chuli (MGRich).

Setup Instructions
First, make sure you have the port installed, whether it be in .cia or .3dsx form.

Then, grab the Data.rsdk file from your legally obtained copy of Sonic Mania. This is easiest with PC versions of the game, where it'll be in the same directory as your game executable. From there, copy the file to your 3DS's SD Card at /3ds/SonicMania.

Alternatively, you can have the game load assets directly from a folder on your SD Card instead of from the Data.rsdk file; this is called Data Folder mode. Refer to this tutorial for learning how to extract the game's assets from your Data.rsdk file:

Once extracted, copy the Data folder to /3ds/SonicMania on your 3DS's SD Card. Load times are slightly better when running in Data Folder mode, so this option is recommended.

Q&A
Is Old 3DS supported?
Old 3DS support is planned, but the port doesn't run on O3DS systems at the moment. This is due to issues with memory that need to be sorted out. A hardware render backend similar to Sonic CD's is also planned to hopefully get the game running at full speed. By the way, don't start complaining about how developers don't care about Old 3DS owners for not supporting your systems out of the gate; these optimizations take time and these ports are hobbyist ventures anyways.

Why are the load times so slow?
Mainly due to the 3DS's slow read speeds, as well as the Retro Engine's tendency to load in all assets at once on loading a new scene. A system for loading assets while the game is running is planned, however. Running the game in Data Folder can mitigate the load times somewhat, however, they still aren't great.

Can I access the Dev Menu?
Yes, just make sure the following is in your settings.ini:
Code:
[Game]
devMenu=y
enableControllerDebugging=y
From there, just press SELECT in-game.

Why is the menu text corrupted?
This is a bug with Data Folder mode. It's mostly harmless, as the rest of the game runs fine, however, working on getting this fixed for the next release.

Are mods supported?
Partially. Mods can be installed and run via Data Folder mode. This will work best with smaller-scale mods that only replace game assets like level layouts, sprites, music, and sound effects. Mods that make alterations to game object behavior likely won't run properly. Don't expect to run mods like Sonic Megamix Mania on 3DS, or at least, for the time being.

Do videos work?
Not currently, but support is planned. You'll likely have to down-scale your videos manually, however.

Why can't I access the Plus DLC?
The decomp has no way of actually verifying that you've purchased the Plus DLC through the platform of your choosing. As such, the decomp developers have removed the DLC from their release builds, and I've opted to do the same. If you want to access the Plus DLC, you'll have to compile the port yourself.

Screenshots
2022-09-12_19-08-24.352_top.png

2022-09-12_19-01-47.986_top.png

2022-09-12_19-03-12.050_top.png

2022-09-12_19-04-37.990_top.png

Downloads
Releases: https://github.com/SaturnSH2x2/RSDKv5-Decompilation/releases/tag/1.0
Source: https://github.com/SaturnSH2x2/RSDKv5-Decompilation/tree/3ds-main

QR
smania.png

Special Thanks
Rubberduckycooly, Chuli (MGRich): For decompiling Mania in the first place, as well as for helping me out on a few things in REMS
@JeffRuLz: For the RSDKv4 port (which was referenced in the process of porting Mania over)
Nintendo Homebrew Discord: for also helping me out on a few things related to the port​

Last edited by HiSaturnV,

horsiezoozoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thank you dev! (I was busy yesterday, did a recompile to cia and loading times aren't too bad with folder mode) Yeah I got the Saturn mod working! Fantastic job getting this to run on a 3ds

HiSaturnV

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
Does it only work on New 3DS ?, or does it work on Old too?

I addressed this in the post's Q&A section:
Is Old 3DS supported?
Old 3DS support is planned, but the port doesn't run on O3DS systems at the moment. This is due to issues with memory that need to be sorted out. A hardware render backend similar to Sonic CD's is also planned to hopefully get the game running at full speed.​

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
looking forward to the O3DS version if it's ever a thing. Thanks for your hard work nonetheless!
Good to see the 3DS still getting some new gems

MilesTheCreator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

HiSaturnV

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing the port and it runs (mostly) great so far! Only issue: There is no sound. How would I be able to turn on the sound?
You might have an old version of the port. Did you make sure to download it from releases?
https://github.com/SaturnSH2x2/RSDKv5-Decompilation/releases/tag/1.0

Or if you compiled it yourself, made sure that the files are up-to-date? Sound was added at this point.
Yea; before v1.0, there were a few .cia builds of the port floating around from various sources. Chances are, if you're seeing console output on the bottom screen without having pressed SELECT on boot, you're using an older build.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any other ports?

I would love to have this on Wii, and if that is not possible, then PS3.
There is a Vita Port that works, and a Build that Enables the DLC. Wondering if it would be possible to get the .cia for N3DS. Could probably just grab all the Data from my Vita for the 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNOEb12u5s