Hardware Planning to build a machine centered around i9-9900k...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[PCPartPicker part list](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ds9cyX) / [Price breakdown by merchant](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ds9cyX/by_merchant/)
Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sxDzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i78700k) | $420.00
**CPU Cooler** | [NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2RdFf7/nzxt-kraken-x62-rev-2-982-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx62-02) | $154.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Thermal Compound** | [Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XHqbt6/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-1g-1g-thermal-paste-tg-k-001-rs) | $9.96 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tV...atx-lga1151-motherboard-rog-maximus-x-formula) | $349.99 @ Amazon
**Memory** | [Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-4000 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vK...-2-x-16gb-ddr4-4000-memory-cmk32gx4m2f4000c19) | $450.98 @ Newegg Business
**Storage** | [Samsung - 970 Pro 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g6Nv6h/samsung-970-pro-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7p1t0bw) | $397.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cs4gXL/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-hua723030ala640) | $64.99 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB TURBO Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vt...-ti-11gb-turbo-video-card-turbo-rtx2080ti-11g) | $1199.00
**Case** | [Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2m...pered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk) | $79.99 @ Newegg
**Optical Drive** | [Asus - BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qHdqqs/asus-optical-drive-bw16d1ht) | $105.88 @ OutletPC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfH48d/microsoft-os-fqc08930) | $124.79 @ OutletPC
**UPS** | [CyberPower - LX1500GU-FC UPS](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xKkj4D/cyberpower-lx1500gu-fc-ups-lx1500gu-fc) | $159.99
**Other** | [Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750 W 13.5 cm Hybrid Silent Fan Control - Titanium](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Kw...0-w-135-cm-hybrid-silent-fan-control-titanium) | $156.48 @ Newegg
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $3710.03
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| **Total** | **$3675.03**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2018-09-18 14:59 EDT-0400 |

Ok this is going to be it! I'm just awaiting z390, i9-9900k & 2080ti final prices/specs/reviews to decide if it will be a z370/i7-9600k/1080ti.

I know you've got some concerns with ram speed and size. I've decided in the interest of future purchasing I was going to go with the ddr4-4000 and 2x 16gb sticks. The extra cost isn't that big of a deal for me here.

The psu will be titanium class at 750w. Researching shows that, for psu longevity, you want around 20% of the psu to be used at all times and a rough estimate of this system at idle is 135w. Then you'd like your psu to be at 50-75% usage with the system at max load which is estimated to be around 490w. The titanium class allows less loss of AC power to be converted to heat which is something I'd like to avoid with overclocking in mind.

I'm reading mixed reviews on the Kraken x62 though about pumps failing which makes me wonder if it's a solid choice. There's so many options out there and I just don't know if the Kraken is a reliable part.

I did chose the 970 pro over the 960 purely on drive longevity.

I also chose the case we've been discussing as well - the Phanteks. It really is a nice case and I guess I won't let a little detail like the front port location ruin it. I rarely use usb anyway and besides, my desk which the PC is going to live is likely going to be replaced soon anyway haha

My (new to me) house also experiences power surges as the sump pump kicks on and off making lights dim and such. I doubt it can do anything, however, I'll be getting a nice UPS/surge protector for it.

OK, now i just have to play the waiting game for the 9900k/2080ti info and release! I'd like start buying stuff locally vs online - I haven't purchased any electronics online worrying they'd be damaged on arrival or counterfeit or something... should I worry about that?

Also are there any incompatibilities on the list here?
(First of all, pro tip, GBAtemp uses BB code, so if you select that option for the markup it'll look a lot prettier here ;))

Ok, I guess I really have no valid complaints for this list, other than prices, but that seems to be a non-issue for you. I'll probably clean it up (or find equivalent parts) for the stuff that you've listed as "other," but that's just OCD on my end (which I'll do for you, you can save other people's part lists for yourself btw)

Sanity check time, though:

Justification for that particular GPU? That case doesn't necessarily need a blower-style cooler, so you're fine looking at dual/triple fan designs. I'm not sure why ASUS is calling that "TURBO" other than the noise that it's gonna make when the fan ramps up

Any particular attachment to that Bluray burner? You can get cheaper ones that will realistically perform identically, unless you're looking at ripping BR discs, in which case that one may shave a few minutes off in the long run. If you can justify it, that's fine, but you can easily buy one for at least half that price

Does that UPS have decent reviews on Amazon or something? I'm a little leary by the fact that PCPP isn't automatically matching it to its proper part based on the link, but its also not perfect software so it could be its just not picking up on something

In regards to the Kraken, that's just kind of par for the course with CPU coolers in general. There are always going to be people who get faulty units (even air coolers, sometimes fans fail), all that you can really do is RMA it and let the manufacturer replace it or refund you. It may be worth looking online which companies have great return interactions, though. From what I've heard, NZXT is one of them, so you shouldn't have to worry there. Also, along those lines, coolers will, generally speaking, either come with thermal paste in the package or pre-applied, and if it's from a big-name company its usually very high quality. Not that $10 is a particularly high expense for you to have something on hand for later, but you shouldn't need it for this build.

In terms of RAM, I understand why you're going with the kit you are, but why not go with something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7htWGX/gskill-memory-f43000c15d32gtz I get that the Vengeance LPX is rated to overclock to 4000mHZ, but with a CAS latency of 19 you're only saving half of a nanosecond per execution vs the Trident Z according to the formula you found. I'll check Userbenchmarks really quick to see if there IS a noticable difference, but I doubt there is. And again, over $150 of savings
Edit: Or this, if you want to stick with Corsair: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dc...-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-cmr32gx4m2c3000c15

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: Classicgamer

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(First of all, pro tip, GBAtemp uses BB code, so if you select that option for the markup it'll look a lot prettier here ;))

Ok, I guess I really have no valid complaints for this list, other than prices, but that seems to be a non-issue for you. I'll probably clean it up (or find equivalent parts) for the stuff that you've listed as "other," but that's just OCD on my end (which I'll do for you, you can save other people's part lists for yourself btw)

Sanity check time, though:

Justification for that particular GPU? That case doesn't necessarily need a blower-style cooler, so you're fine looking at dual/triple fan designs. I'm not sure why ASUS is calling that "TURBO" other than the noise that it's gonna make when the fan ramps up

Any particular attachment to that Bluray burner? You can get cheaper ones that will realistically perform identically, unless you're looking at ripping BR discs, in which case that one may shave a few minutes off in the long run. If you can justify it, that's fine, but you can easily buy one for at least half that price

Does that UPS have decent reviews on Amazon or something? I'm a little leary by the fact that PCPP isn't automatically matching it to its proper part based on the link, but its also not perfect software so it could be its just not picking up on something

In regards to the Kraken, that's just kind of par for the course with CPU coolers in general. There are always going to be people who get faulty units (even air coolers, sometimes fans fail), all that you can really do is RMA it and let the manufacturer replace it or refund you. It may be worth looking online which companies have great return interactions, though. From what I've heard, NZXT is one of them, so you shouldn't have to worry there. Also, along those lines, coolers will, generally speaking, either come with thermal paste in the package or pre-applied, and if it's from a big-name company its usually very high quality. Not that $10 is a particularly high expense for you to have something on hand for later, but you shouldn't need it for this build.

In terms of RAM, I understand why you're going with the kit you are, but why not go with something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7htWGX/gskill-memory-f43000c15d32gtz I get that the Vengeance LPX is rated to overclock to 4000mHZ, but with a CAS latency of 19 you're only saving half of a nanosecond per execution vs the Trident Z according to the formula you found. I'll check Userbenchmarks really quick to see if there IS a noticable difference, but I doubt there is. And again, over $150 of savings

The gpu is listed as a placeholder until all the cards are listed after Nvidias silly embargo is lifted this week (as is CPU and Mobo as I’m sure you know ). So after they are listed, and if even worth it, I’ll chose one. Otherwise it’ll be some variant of the 1080ti.

I did a bit of research on burners and this one has mdisk support with a fancy burning technique to reduce/eliminate errors. As my wife and I are aging and kids starting to grow we already have 70gb of data just in videos and photos. My plan is to mdisk them since hard drives won’t last for digital media down the road. So that means mdisk unless there’s another easier more permanent solution?

The UPS just had decent reviews here and there so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The paste is something I’d like to try. I’ve always used arctic silver and lately I’ve been watching a lot of gamers nexus on YouTube who apparently loves it. Other reviews are praising it as well. Paste is paste right? Idk...LoL

Ram....idk what to do. Idk real world performance either. I’ve always went to the fastest ram available during builds. I honestly don’t know any different. Perhaps the i9-9900k would utilize faster ram with the z390? (Whenever those specs come out). I appreciate the time and effort you’re putting forth here for me ;)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the AIO, it does seem that the kraken line has a very high failure rate from what I have been reading, much more than any other aio, and how they have such an high failure rate when they are asetek aio's, I don't know but whatever NZXT did is causing and continues to cause problems. Also NZXT's software is just a plain POS, this is coming from someone who used CAM for over 2 and a half years now, its just gotten worse somehow.

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the AIO, it does seem that the kraken line has a very high failure rate from what I have been reading, much more than any other aio, and how they have such an high failure rate when they are asetek aio's, I don't know but whatever NZXT did is causing and continues to cause problems. Also NZXT's software is just a plain POS, this is coming from someone who used CAM for over 2 and a half years now, its just gotten worse somehow.

Good points - I’ve been reading that too.

Which brands are solid?

GearCross

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am using a Corsair H100i on my media/file server that has been turned on 24/7 for a couple of years now and it's still going strong. Though I have set a few preventive measures in case of pump or fan failures to immediately shut down the system.

So, all in all I can vouch for Corsair on that regard. Though, if you feel confident enough you can get those "build it yourself" kits from EKWB like this one.

It's a bit more expensive, but also more efficient, specially when overclocking... Aaaand you can add a GPU block later on if you so desire.

Last edited by GearCross,

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using a Corsair H100i on my media/file server that has been turned on 24/7 for a couple of years now and it's still going strong. Though I have set a few preventive measures in case of pump or fan failures to immediately shut down the system.

So, all in all I can vouch for Corsair on that regard. Though, if you feel confident enough you can get those "build it yourself" kits from EKWB like this one.

It's a bit more expensive, but also more efficient, specially when overclocking... Aaaand you can add a GPU block later on if you so desire.

Yeah the h115i is looking appealing. I don’t want to put a custom liquid setup though. I really want maintenance free - I might look into the Noctua series air cooler too.

What kind of measures do you have?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK! Everything is ordered but the cpu/cooler, mobo, gpu & win 10! Now the waiting game begins.... :)

I went with a Corsair ddr4 3200 cas16 after all at $299. ;)
I genuinely think you made the right choice. Just make sure you're setting the XMP profile when you get the motherboard. (And for curiosity's sake, did you get the Corsair or the G.Skill?)

Also, just a builder's tip, as tempting as it may be to install the power supply right now you should wait to do that until basically the last thing. Test the system outside the case, then mount the motherboard with cables attached, plug the power supply in, then mount it. It'll save you headaches with the cables during install

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I genuinely think you made the right choice. Just make sure you're setting the XMP profile when you get the motherboard. (And for curiosity's sake, did you get the Corsair or the G.Skill?)

Also, just a builder's tip, as tempting as it may be to install the power supply right now you should wait to do that until basically the last thing. Test the system outside the case, then mount the motherboard with cables attached, plug the power supply in, then mount it. It'll save you headaches with the cables during install

Corsair :)

I really like the modular psu and routing of the case.

Yeah I’ll just be opening up everything to make sure nothing is damaged. I went full amazon on all these parts and will get the cpu/Mobo/gpu at micro center.

The cooler....idk what to do haha air or liquid... guess benchmarks and reviews will be the deciding factor. Hopefully I’ll have everything I the first week of October.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corsair :)

I really like the modular psu and routing of the case.

Yeah I’ll just be opening up everything to make sure nothing is damaged. I went full amazon on all these parts and will get the cpu/Mobo/gpu at micro center.

The cooler....idk what to do haha air or liquid... guess benchmarks and reviews will be the deciding factor. Hopefully I’ll have everything I the first week of October.
Kind of kicking myself for forgetting about this until now, but usually whenever I'm vetting parts one of the first places I go to is Tom's Hardware. Give these options a look, I'm guessing you'll want to go with either the Be Quiet! tower cooler or the EVGA closed loop

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of kicking myself for forgetting about this until now, but usually whenever I'm vetting parts one of the first places I go to is Tom's Hardware. Give these options a look, I'm guessing you'll want to go with either the Be Quiet! tower cooler or the EVGA closed loop

Oh it’s between a Corsair h150i pro or a Noctua NH-D15S and depending on benchmarks/etc I’m leaning toward the air cooler at this time.

You could have saved some money there with win 10 if you just use kmspico

Oh I didn’t price out accurately. The list is just a place holder/reminder of what I need. I shop around for the best prices- I’ll get the os at micro center price matching there. I only have win7 currently (and xp pro LoL)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw that link - quite a few good coolers there. The Noctua is listed as threadripper there, however, that’s because it’s using the adapter plate. The Noctua d15s would work on mine too. It is big though- probably as big as the Thermaltake in my 3770k machine.
'S up to you as to whether you go with Noctua, I absolutely love the cooling and I enjoy the aesthetics, but the brown 'n beige isn't for everyone

GearCross

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah the h115i is looking appealing. I don’t want to put a custom liquid setup though. I really want maintenance free - I might look into the Noctua series air cooler too.

What kind of measures do you have?

That's a valid point, it does require some maintenance. Noctua air coolers are a bit expensive, but you pay for what you get, amazing performance.

Regarding temps:
On the rig that I have the custom water cooling (i7-6800K @ 4.2GHz, 1.3v) its hitting about high 50s (120ish F) low 60s (140ish F) on load, with high 20s room temp (80ish F).
On the file/media server with the H100i (AMD A10-7860K @ stock) and I'm hitting low to mid 60s on load from HWInfo, but these APUs are extremely wierd with temp measuring, coolant temp rarely goes above 30c).

EDIT: Just saw what you meant lol
I'm using HWInfo64 with a few rules setup:
  • If H100i pump RPM goes under a threshold for more than 5 seconds, execute "cmd.exe shutdown -s -f -t 00"
  • If H100i any fan on the radiator's RPM goes under a threshold, show a warning.
  • If CPU temp exceeds 80C for 5 seconds more than 3 times, execute "cmd.exe shutdown -s -f -t 00" (this covers the previous rule, if the H100i fan controller somehow busts and all fans go down)
Though the first one the CPU itself will force the computer to turn off if it hits a very high temp, I want to prevent it getting that hot. Not that I don't trust the H100i, but the pump it's an extra possible point of failure, and if it fails, it's a very critical failure, whereas with an air cooler, if the heatsink fan fails, it can still run passive, given you have adequate case cooling and don't stress the CPU.

I could also use Corsair's own software to do that, but HWInfo is a lot lighter on resources and I want to keep the power consumption at absolute minimum. Corsair's software enables me to do something like if a fan goes down, ramp up all other fans to 100% like servers do.

'S up to you as to whether you go with Noctua, I absolutely love the cooling and I enjoy the aesthetics, but the brown 'n beige isn't for everyone

It's something that throws a lot of people off that wants a noctua fan or cooler lol, but it's their trademark pretty much. Though now they also make black and gray fans. The Noctua Redux, Industrial and Chromax fans, the latter having swappable rubber screw inserts with different colors. :lol:

Last edited by GearCross,

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Classicgamer reviews are in, sounds like you're getting a 1080ti now and upgrading in roughly 2 years

Indeed. I like jayz reviews and am awaiting gamers nexus 2080ti review too. However, based on jayz review it will be a 1080ti.

I wouldn’t upgrade in two years either unless a game I LOVE (WoW, FF16, DQ12, a new mmo or something) would greatly benefit from an upgrade.

Now the question is which variant 1080ti offers the most performance?

Last edited by Classicgamer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, it was @AncientBoi