Platinum Games showing interest in being acquired. Who will it be?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why would they be looking for a buyout so soon after making a big hoopla about independently publishing their own games to retain the rights? I'm pretty sure I read they gave up their portion of rights to Astral Chain to get full rights to Wonderful 101 so they could publish it on other platforms.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If true I would hope for MS or Nintendo, as with Sony it would be unstable ground that might not provide any security for their existence in the future.

If under MS? Xbox, PC, and hell maybe even Nintendo/Sony can get in on the action if they are benevolent, either way more games on more systems are always good. The big issue here is there might be some bad blood still with what happened with Scalebound, which if Phil reads the room and agrees to revive the project might provide a better outcome for both companies and a likely outcome of acquisition.

Under Nintendo? Nintendo Exclusives most likely. Even timed exclusives would be a thing of the past and the studio will only produce Nintendo games from that point forward, which might be a mixed blessing or a curse depending on how heavy handed Nintendo is with what they want from out of them.

Under Sony? I do not think Sony would be that interested in them honestly. If they do jump on them it would be reactionary than well thought out. Plus I do not recall any instances of Platinum titles doing well under Sony compared to MS or Nintendo.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know it's going to ruin some people the wrong way, but i secretly hope they get bought by valve, and that their first games are Linux timed exclusive.

Oh, it'd be outrage alright. Suddenly not even pc gamers find themselves comfortable knowing they can play anything on windows. And suddenly epic would have competition in the 'i hate these guys' compartment from the lazy bunch (seriously : i checked reddit on that epic exclusive bundle : it's still terrible to have to install another gaming client).

... But as great as the deck might be on paper, it really needs killer apps exclusive on the platform to make a dent in the gaming landscape. And 'just' making a game with a 3 at the end won't cut it.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's going to ruin some people the wrong way, but i secretly hope they get bought by valve, and that their first games are Linux timed exclusive.

Oh, it'd be outrage alright. Suddenly not even pc gamers find themselves comfortable knowing they can play anything on windows. And suddenly epic would have competition in the 'i hate these guys' compartment from the lazy bunch (seriously : i checked reddit on that epic exclusive bundle : it's still terrible to have to install another gaming client).

... But as great as the deck might be on paper, it really needs killer apps exclusive on the platform to make a dent in the gaming landscape. And 'just' making a game with a 3 at the end won't cut it.
For starters, a SteamOS\Linux Exclusive? You might as well just make the damn thing a Stadia Exclusive because no one is going to be jumping on that until its on other platforms.

Secondly, you want to talk shit on Epic because god forbid you have to install another game client, but somehow that is worse than installing/using a whole other Operating System in comparison to a single app launcher? What the hell is the formation in logic is that?

Finally, anything that Valve would put their force in with their original IP's would be more than enough to get people flocking over to their hardware. Hell it did enough to get VR into something more than a fleeting gimmick with the combination Boneworks and HL: Alyx proving that VR games can actually be decent.

Also another tidbit, Any Studio Valve has acquired or worked with has only met with failure/closure of said studio, said studio being spit out on its own again, or was cancelled. Valve does not fit well doing things with others, especially in the long term. Valve would have no idea what to do with a studio like Platinum, especially since the types of games they make are radically different from each other.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is interesting. I really hope it's Nintendo. They need a third pillar next to retro studios and monolith soft. And already have a decent working relationship.
They really don't need a so called third pillar. The Switch is one of the best selling consoles of all time and the top 10 selling Switch games of all time are all made by Nintendo. They have zero need to buy another company when they are already making a shit load of money.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1)
For starters, a SteamOS\Linux Exclusive? You might as well just make the damn thing a Stadia Exclusive because no one is going to be jumping on that until its on other platforms.

2) Secondly, you want to talk shit on Epic because god forbid you have to install another game client, but somehow that is worse than installing/using a whole other Operating System in comparison to a single app launcher? What the hell is the formation in logic is that?

3) Finally, anything that Valve would put their force in with their original IP's would be more than enough to get people flocking over to their hardware. Hell it did enough to get VR into something more than a fleeting gimmick with the combination Boneworks and HL: Alyx proving that VR games can actually be decent.

4) Also another tidbit, Any Studio Valve has acquired or worked with has only met with failure/closure of said studio, said studio being spit out on its own again, or was cancelled. Valve does not fit well doing things with others, especially in the long term. Valve would have no idea what to do with a studio like Platinum, especially since the types of games they make are radically different from each other.
(note : i added points for easier reference... I'm on mobile)
1) you can say that about any of the last two or three generations of consoles. Developers like to pretend they only can make certain games on certain platforms, but it's just marketing. Yet people buy consoles rather than "wait until it's on pc"

2) yes... And that's why many will rather get a steam deck rather than fiddle with dual booting and an obscure Linux version (or double obscure... Linux isn't really known for what it is to most people).
The logic is also in the "you already have the games". Epic has you starting collecting games all over again ; steam offers "only" a wonky way of getting to it.

3) i think so as well. Still... It could complement regardless.

4) erm... Is that so? Sorry, but that's totally new to me. If so (and i have no reason to doubt you), it's like to retract my opinion. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Soundcore is decent for cheap