PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I always thought of a console's EOL the moment the successor gets released because after that, not that many games gets release for the console.
That's usually the case, but the current generation of consoles seems to not have killed the previous generation quite as fast as previously. PS4 games are still getting released in massive numbers and the number of games exclusive to the current generation is quite low.

xStellar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember having a PS4 somewhere from a friend that has a network ban. (WS-37338-4)
If i remember correctly, it's not possible to use the internet browser without logging into PSN.

Is there any way to use this with said console?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding the only benefits to update to 9.0cfw is to be able to play 9.0 and above games? Most the stuff I want to back up is already 7.55 compatible so I'm undecided on if it's really worth updating to 9.0

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember having a PS4 somewhere from a friend that has a network ban. (WS-37338-4)
If i remember correctly, it's not possible to use the internet browser without logging into PSN.

Is there any way to use this with said console?
that is incorrect. you can use the browser, even without being online (if using a wifi stick or something).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot."

What does this mean. If the kernel is corrupt then won't the console be a brick?
no, it just means that the system will mess up if you leave the usb device plugged in if you reboot. it will be fine once it's off and you unplug it, then turn on the system again.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
One thing i did think about is a usb hub or something, would that work? as it could be wear and tear on the USB ports over time with unplugging , etc.

I know you could get around it by using rest mode, so the console is always on but at very low power but I still prefer not too sometimes.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
no, it just means that the system will mess up if you leave the usb device plugged in if you reboot. it will be fine once it's off and you unplug it, then turn on the system again.
Sweet Sounds Good.

One thing i did think about is a usb hub or something, would that work? as it could be wear and tear on the USB ports over time with unplugging , etc.

I know you could get around it by using rest mode, so the console is always on but at very low power but I still prefer not too sometimes.
I think in your case a 6 Inch or so USB extension would be better then a hub.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The steps seem fairly simple, but I'm going to wait for MrMario to make a video about PS4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak.

I have the P.T. Demo in my PSN account, but it gives me an error so I'll have to pirate it in order to play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging