notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You can also integrate the games into retroarch using this method:

Create a

Sony - PlayStation.lpl

file in retroarchs playlist directory (the folder for it is somewhere in the /RetroArch/.config/retroarch/ folder and then a few subfolders down the road.. ;) )

Use a texteditor that supports Linux line endings (notepad++ google it) to edit that file and fill it up with a structure looking like this:

Code:
/media/games/21/Baphomets Fluch.cue
Baphomets Fluch
/media/RetroArch/.config/retroarch/cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/22/Breath of Fire III.cue
Breath of Fire III
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/23/Bushido Blade.cue
Bushido Blade
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/24/Castlevania Symphony of the Night.cue
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/25/Chrono Cross.m3u
Chrono Cross
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/26/Crash Bandicoot.cue
Crash Bandicoot
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/27/Crash Team Racing.cue
Crash Team Racing
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/28/Dead or Alive.cue
Dead or Alive
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/29/Discworld Noir.cue
Discworld Noir
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/30/Ehrgeiz - God Bless the Ring.cue
Ehrgeiz - God Bless the Ring
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/31/Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix.m3u
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/32/Final Fantasy Anthology.m3u
Final Fantasy Anthology
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/33/Final Fantasy Chronicles.m3u
Final Fantasy Chronicles
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/34/Final Fantasy IX (G).m3u
Final Fantasy IX (G)
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/35/Final Fantasy Tactics.cue
Final Fantasy Tactics
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/36/Final Fantasy VII (G).m3u
Final Fantasy VII (G)
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/37/Final Fantasy VIII (G).m3u
Final Fantasy VIII (G)
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/38/Front Mission 3.cue
Front Mission 3
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/39/Gran Turismo 2.m3u
Gran Turismo 2
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/40/Grandia.m3u
Grandia
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/41/Jade Cocoon - Die Tamamayu Legende.cue
Jade Cocoon - Die Tamamayu Legende
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/42/Legend of Dragoon.m3u
Legend of Dragoon
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/43/MediEvil.cue
MediEvil
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/44/PaRappa the Rapper.cue
PaRappa the Rapper
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/45/Parasite Eve.m3u
Parasite Eve
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
/media/games/50/Policenauts CD1.cue
Policenauts
PCSX-ReARMed

Sony - PlayStation.lpl
Attention BleemSync users, your numbered games folders are in a slightly different structure (as you also have a GameData folder, before the .cue sheets). You have to rewrite the paths accordingly.

The empty line in there is not to reparate games, its actually where the database entry would be - we leave that blank. The following game entry is just added right below (no empty line).

The .cue files with the "human readable name" I created myself, by duplicating the .cue files in the respective folders.

Same with the .m3u playlist files that are there to integrate games with multiple CDs. (How to generate .m3u files: https://forums.libretro.com/t/multi-disc-for-sony-playstation-and-sega-saturn-using-m3u-files/14161)

If you also want to have covers show up in retroarch, follow this guide (thumbnails section, namedboxart is the default): https://docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/

The games already on the system (and not on the USB stick) dont show up in retroarch. I suppose the directory gets unmounted first. Only games off of your USB drive seem to work.

I have everything working as of now. All games on the USB stick show up as a separate column "Playstation" in Retroarch. With covers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If someone wants to code a program that automates this - I strongly suggest, that you create a .m3u file for every game (even single disc) instead of creating duplicate .cue files, or linking the SCUS-00000.cue files directly.

That way the numbered games folder only gets one added file (gamename.m3u) that users wont mistake for a .cue file and get confused.

As the covers need to be in a retroarch specific directory anyhow - you can just copy them there, using thegamename.png (attention regarding special characters, those have to be replaced by _ ). If you are pulling the game names from the database file, make sure to ignore and © signs, that some users might have put there..). :) Good luck. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Castlevania SotN on the default emu has wierd text glitches, on the retroarch version in hasnt. And thanks to it being a little more responsive on the Retroarch core, it feels about a 1000 times better. :)

That's because the version of the default emulator is outdated (i.e. it sucks).

IwearHelmet4Bed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else having problems with the controller not working with the games? I can select them and click on them but I can’t press start when the game is booted to start the game. For
E.G. Die Hard Trilogy will boot, I can scroll left or right, but can’t click on the game to start it. I’m guessing the .cfg file is probably messed up? Happening with all the games on my USB

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
That's because the version of the default emulator is outdated (i.e. it sucks).
Nice try. ;) Retroarch might use a newer dynarec - but they very likely use the same PCSX version as the PS Classic does - because the last updated version is three years old - with no other significant changes, according to changelogs.

This "updated version" meme has to stop. ;)

Compatibility is largely the same (Castlevania SotN being the odd one out, but this could be the scaler messing things up ;) ), performance and implementation is better.

I'm mostly happy that input lag could be reduced. Thats a big one.

The Playstation Classic now gets a "highly recommended buy" if you see it reduced by 25-50% ;)

With Retroarchs performance being actually good - the package of console and two 10 button controllers now is pretty unbeatable at 60-80 USD.

Last edited by notimp,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice try. ;) Retroarch might use a newer dynarec - but they very likely use the same PCSX version as the PS Classic does - because the last updated version is three years old - with no other significant changes, according to changelogs.

This "updated version" meme has to stop. ;)

Compatibility is largely the same (Castlevania SotN being the odd one out, but this could be the scaler messing things up ;) ), performance and implementation is better.

I'm mostly happy that input lag could be reduced. Thats a big one.

It should be used with Beetle PSX instead, or ePSXe, those are far superior and actually up to date. Outdated emulators have no place in 2018 IMO. The SPU emulation in those emulators is actually good.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
ePSXe is proprietary, and beetle starts to be viable at 3GHZ. ;) Also, there is no arm build of beetle (afaik). Small, cheap SOC devices (Rasp Pi, Android Boxes, ..) are all Arm based, and if they are not running Android (there is a commercial ePSXe build for Android), PSXRearmed is the only thing thats viable. If you are SONY and dont want to build your own emulator.. ;)

Those small cheap SOC boxes usually run arm processors, because they outclass x86 (Intel) by about factor of three/four in cost/performance. :)

To say it once more, at 40 USD (see reddit PS Classic channel) the Playstation Classic is a no brainer. :) Buy.

Last edited by notimp,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ePSXe is proprietary, and beetle starts to be viable at 3GHZ. ;) Also, there is no arm build of beetle (afaik). Small, cheap SOC devices (Rasp Pi, Android Boxes, ..) are all Arm based, and if they are not running Android (there is a commercial ePSXe build for Android), PSXRearmed is the only thing thats viable. If you are SONY and dont want to build your own emulator.. ;)

Those small cheap SOC boxes usually run arm processors, because they outclass x86 (Intel) by about factor of three/four in cost/performance. :)

To say it once more, at 40 USD (see reddit PS Classic channel) the Playstation Classic is a no brainer. :) Buy.

Is there options to emulate the framebuffer fully? Like so the games that use it actually look good? Because in the videos I've seen, it's emulated very very poorly. Kinda ruins the immersion.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is a video of the Retroarch interface with PS Classic games added to it, and the Retroarch PCSXRearmed glitching out on Grandia as well.

Also in celebration of SotN being playable on this thing - here is the Beginning of the game played stylishly. ;)

and the ending (in the spoiler tag below). If you were never quite sure, why this game is so beloved and has its following to this day - this is the reason. :) So without further ado:

I can't pretend. I am the wind. With special thanks to Louis Conte (percussion).

Last edited by notimp,

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be a fair a homebrew wii u can do better than an nes classic but people still bought it in droves. however i will say that using pal titles for this was monumentaly stupid.
Difference is the Wiiu costs more than a NES classic

Whereas you can get the pstv for less than the PlayStation classic.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Parasite Eve 2 is playable.
Other games might be better optimizable.

"best" default settings might be very different "per game".

The the factor that makes stuff work or break is psx_clock (the cpu clock speed thats fixed at 57% by default).

Now thats actually an issue, because we now have quite a few values to check. (57 to 100%)

See this thread on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/Playstatio...site_eve_ii_works_on_the_playstation_classic/

Brave Fencer Musashi working or not, might be a related issue:
https://old.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/a9ufxo/brave_fencer_mushi_working/
--

Now, the psx_clock being set to 57% by default (=39 value in the cfg) was an initial decision by the emu dev (not Sony) - so Playstation games would run on lower powered systems (emulator has less work > can output more frames).Today that should not be an issue any more.
-

Also Grandia doesnt suffer from dialogue sound issues if you dont force NTSC onto the PAL version. *doh*
-

More testing to be done.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

psx_clock values for direct pcsx.cfg editing:

default: 39 = 57%
45 = 69%
46 = 70%
64 = 100%

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Does any one know for certain what the first number shown in "Show FPS" means? f.e.:

25 50.0

for a PAL game.
-

Lets for now assume that this is the internal rendering framerate the game runs on. While the second is the framerate output by the emulator. (Perhaps through frame doubling, who knows).

Anyways - Parasite Eve 2 also runs with psx_clock set to 100% (64 in pcsx.cfg) BUT - the values in show fps increase from

30 60.0 to
40 60.0

and the game runs a tad to fast.

So thats indicating, that by incresing psx_clock "too much" (100% being considered too much) a games framerate gets "uncapped" and the game now runs faster than intended.

This is a good sign, because this means, that there would be an "ideal" max psx_clock value that doesnt do that. :)

I'm hunting for that next. :)
-

Also psx_clock seems to be directly connected to input lag as well . :) (Castlevania SotN runs more smoothly in "sonys" default emulator with psx_clock at 100 %.) Fun.

Also - some games (Castlevania SotnN f.e.) show the fps value as 60 60.0 - so they seem to run at 60 fps natively. :) Those you seemingly cant "make run too fast" by setting cpu_clock to 100%. :)
-

Next report in about 20 minutes I guess.. ;)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ideal max value for Parasite Eve 2 is

psx_clock = 55

in the pcsx.cfg file which == 85% cpu clock.

That said, at this setting Grandia (PAL) runs at 34 50.0 instead of the intended 25 50.0 - so I'm hunting for theideal max value for that game next. Might be different PAL vs NTSC or might be different less demanding game vs more demanding game. Not sure yet. :)

edit: Difference seems to be PAL vs NTSC - ran the PAL version of Parasite Eve 2 at 85% cpu clock, and it also maxes out at 34 50.0 instead of 25 50.0 - which is good, because it means, that we are dealing with 3 values tops. :) (Hypothesis, will test today. :))

One value for max cpu with NTSC games.
One value for max cpu with PAL games at intended speeds. (25 fps)
One value for max cpu wiht PAL games at 30 fps.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ok, we are dealing with two values. Pal snaps in from "more than 30 fps" to intended 25 fps.

So the two max cpu clock values are:

For NTSC:

psx_clock = 55

in the pcsx.cfg file which == 85% cpu clock.

For PAL:

psx_clock = 46

in the pcsx.cfg file which == 70% cpu clock.
---

Also, if you plan to run a PAL game at NTSC speeds (by forcing game region NTSC), you can use the NTSC max value. First fps value will still be capped at 30. Which is also good for input lag reduction. :) (higher psx_clock value = lower input lag)

I will now check and confirm this with all games in my collection (26), and post a retraction if wrong. :)

Last edited by notimp,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I am not buying it since it is PCSX emulator. Sony is cheating us and they aren't honest. Shame on them. No thanks. I am stick with SNES Classic Mini (Pal) and NES Mini (Pal). And I am fine with PSX games being playable on PS3/PS4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU