Hardware Please help! old 3ds refuses to read old files and creates empty homepage

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi!

I'm desperate and tried everything. I can start all over but i would really like my save files and it took an eternity to fill 32gb with cia's via FBI so i hope someone here can help

I tried to upgrade my 32gb card to 128gb and wanted to use the 32gb in my phone
The 128gb refused to work i formated it fat 32 64K alloc and it was MBR but still the 3DS would not recognize it. that isn't the problem now though
I decided to go back to the 32gb card but it had already been formated to work in my phone. i did fully copy paste the old SD to my pc because that is what the internet told me to do just copy paste to new sd

in meanwhile my 3DS rebooted often trying all the formats for the 128gb sd and ofcoarse the homescreen was empty
So i put all the files from my pc back to the 32gb card and insert it. 3ds recognizes it but still empty default screen... i also had a theme which was now default
I still have godmode and luma menu but everything is gone. i injected FBI and installed some cia's without problem but when opening a cia file they give error's along the way of unable to find "x" or unable to write to extdata.

after trying a hundred of things and losing about 2 days already i noticed it had made a new folder in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder where all apps should be so i cleared the folder and pasted all my old files to the new folder. full of hope i booted the 3DS it it gave the bloody pop up that it was creating the homescreen and after 2 minutes again an empty home screen... looked in the SD and no new folder was created this time in the Nintendo 3DS folder and all my old files are there but for some reason the 3ds doesn't read them.

I searched hundreds of sites on google and never find this problem. i tried a new SD card also but same thing happens..
I do have a DSP dump file but i can't upload it here and i'm not allowed to post URLS..

I will attach some pictures of homebrew giving errors and the home screen pop up and and empty home screen

UPDATE: after moving all the old files to the new folder in Nintendo 3DS folder and getting an empty home screen again i tried to install a CIA and get an error on every CIA i tried.. will also upload the picture

TL;DR

Please do read i really need help

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_215041.jpg
    IMG_20180724_215041.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20180724_215123.jpg
    IMG_20180724_215123.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_20180724_234601.jpg
    IMG_20180724_234601.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20180724_234652.jpg
    IMG_20180724_234652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20180725_002924.jpg
    IMG_20180725_002924.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 338
  • 2018-07-25 02_18_55-Dropbox.png
    2018-07-25 02_18_55-Dropbox.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited by xeph20,

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for your reply but as i said i also tried another SD and the 32gb sd always worked fine in the ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow @sk316's advice. You need to verify your card isn't messed up like if it's fake or has bad NAND cells. Do not tell us where you bought it or what brand that card label is. Doesn't matter, can't trust product appearances or reputable shops these days when it comes to flash memory.

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ensure that your SD Card is not corrupted by using H2testw (Windows), F3 (Linux), or F3X (Mac).

Well here it is nothing wrong with the SD card as i assumed
I do understand that you wanted to be sure though.

So any other fix or insight?
SD should be filled again now though as i did 10 times already D:

Attachments

• 2018-07-25 02_18_55-Dropbox.png
    2018-07-25 02_18_55-Dropbox.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by xeph20,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here it is nothing wrong with the SD card as i assumed
I do understand that you wanted to be sure though.

So any other fix or insight?
SD should be filled again now though as i did 10 times already D:

That test is for your 32 GB card and not the 128 GB you want to switch over to.

If you plan to use the 128 GB as the 3DS replacement card, that's the one that needs to be verified with H2testw.

* I think i know what happened. In case your new card's fake, your 128 GB corrupted your setup and you tried copying that corrupted version back onto your 32 GB card. You've lost your data.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That test is for your 32 GB card and not the 128 GB you want to switch over to.

If you plan to use the 128 GB as the 3DS replacement card, that's the one that needs to be verified with H2testw.

* I think i know what happened. In case your new card's fake, your 128 GB corrupted your setup and you tried copying that corrupted version back onto your 32 GB card. You've lost your data.

well i have given up on the 128gb sd and wanted to go back to 32 so yes the test is for the 32

I copied the original data to my fairly new SSD on my laptop it and from it i copy paste it to any SD i test.
I don't care anymore about the 128gb sd i just want it back like it was :(

Isn't there a way to let the homescreen point to my old files? or whatever i really don't know
or if i place the old files in the new folder within the Nintendo 3DS folder to let work that way?

Or is there software for windows that can check / backup / fix / whatever a 3DS SD card? if i could retrieve my saves that way i can maybe spend a week installing everything again but i would atleast have my saves back.

Last edited by xeph20,

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just curious did you used emunand?

I went from A9LH to B9S i think emunand was never involved but i'm not sure.
In the luma boot menu i tried booting emunand but it all shows the same but the settings keep saying SYS which i found weird

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the luma boot menu i tried booting emunand but it all shows the same but the settings keep saying SYS which i found weird

Sys mean you have CFW, on non mod systems you get ver.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe reformat the SD card make sure it is FAT32, 32kb cluster and primary partition not logical using minitool partition wizard.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic

You either had an EmuNAND without knowing or, as Turd said, placing the files on your 128 GB card corrupted them. That's what I find most plausible.

I would check the 128 GB card.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did had an emunand, copying the files from one SD to another wouldn't work. That why it is recommended now a day to use Sysnand if you were on an emunand. If you didn't have one then ignore the emunand part.

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sys mean you have CFW, on non mod systems you get ver.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe reformat the SD card make sure it is FAT32, 32kb cluster and primary partition not logical using minitool partition wizard.

I already tried all formats and most often FAT32 32 and 64 and it is primary MBR

You either had an EmuNAND without knowing or, as Turd said, placing the files on your 128 GB card corrupted them. That's what I find most plausible.

I would check the 128 GB card.

As it said in the post it never went from the 128 card to the 32gb card i backed it up on my laptops SSD and from there i copied it to SD cards

If you did had an emunand, copying the files from one SD to another wouldn't work. That why it is recommended now a day to use Sysnand if you were on an emunand. If you didn't have one then ignore the emunand part.

Well i'm not sure if i had emunand or not :/

wouldnt there be any workaround to this?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already tried all formats and most often FAT32 32 and 64 and it is primary MBR

As it said in the post it never went from the 128 card to the 32gb card i backed it up on my laptops SSD and from there i copied it to SD cards

Well i'm not sure if i had emunand or not :/

wouldnt there be any workaround to this?
did your sd card have anything on it with names saying emunand anything?

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
did your sd card have anything on it with names saying emunand anything?

Good question. i searched and it came back with "Backup EmuNAND.gm9" from a year ago in the gm folder

But as i think now that is just a script from godmode :P so no nothing else so i think i didn't have emunand

Last edited by xeph20,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an idea.
  1. Press and hold (Select) when you turn on your 3DS. You should boot into Luma3DS configuration.
  2. See if you've selected (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings.
  3. Go to System Settings and check if the bottom right corner says Sys 11.7.0-40E.
  4. If it does, go to Data Management > Nintendo 3DS > Software.
  5. Do you see your old titles with crossed out X's?

Reactions: NFates

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I got an idea.
  1. Press and hold (Select) when you turn on your 3DS. You should boot into Luma3DS configuration.
  2. See if you've selected (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings.
  3. Go to System Settings and check if the bottom right corner says Sys 11.7.0-40E.
  4. If it does, go to Data Management > Nintendo 3DS > Software.
  5. Do you see your old titles with crossed out X's?

Thanks for your idea.

Everything is as you say it should be but step 5 its empty as if nothing is installed.
When i install new cia files they are the only items there

Attachments

• IMG_20180725_042559.jpg
    IMG_20180725_042559.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 295

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Might sound silly but the only thing I can think of right now is, what is in your Nintendo 3DS folder? And did you format your console beforehand or something?

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Might sound silly but the only thing I can think of right now is, what is in your Nintendo 3DS folder? And did you format your console beforehand or something?

I did not format my 3DS altough after the 2384th try i did format it in hope it would then accept it. which it didn't
Well there is a whole lot in the Nintendo 3DS folder.. lots of numbers and letters which confuse me :P

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
If you formatted your console your old Nintendo 3DS folder will not get recognized anymore, unless (I think) you restore a NAND backup. There are two folders with numbers and letters, and one has a lot more files than the other, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol