Please make a logic test

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title explains itself. In the past few days I have seen abundance amounts of users with just horrible logic. It has gotten to the point where they have trolled my online experience at GBAtemp and I have compulsions to correct these users with an angered passion. A common trait I have seen in these posters, with probability near .8, are of age 13-16. Just so we are all on track, this is logic:

"A common trait I have seen in these illogical posters, with probability near .8, are of age 13-16"

I can bet, with probability of near .9, someone who is between the age 13-16 will read that statement and say, "I am pretty smart, I absolutely know logic, you can't generalize all 13-16 year olds." Here is why you fail, you don't know logic. If you are between the ages 13-16 and take offense of that above statement, you are affirming the consequent (I guess we can use some logical equivalences to turn it into negation of the antecedent but meh). I said a modus ponens statement with, if you are an illogical poster, then with probability near .8 are of the age 13-16. I didn't make any inferences on people between ages 13-16, I made an inference on illogical posters. That's why affirming the consequent is bad logic.

That's why, when I make a suggestion, I'm not going to direct it at people of ages 13-16, I'm going to direct it at illogical posters. Hence, the title explains it all, we need to have a logic test before people can't start posting. I'm am going to blow a headgasket if more no logic posters happen to appear on these forums.

Make it a simple test for all I care, make it so that you need at least .5 of the problems right, because, natural selection is not doing it's job.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1) Looking up words in the dictionary to post with is kind of... cheating on intelligence.
2) I take GREAT offense at that statement.
3) You are free to use logic to post something that actually makes sense.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Just so we are all on track, this is logic:

"A common trait I have seen in these illogical posters, with probability near .8, are of age 13-16"

That is not logic. Logic =/= probability. That statement is not logical.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
1) Looking up words in the dictionary to post with is kind of... cheating on intelligence.
2) I take GREAT offense at that statement.
3) You are free to use logic to post something that actually makes sense.

Lmao, is this supposed to be sarcastic?

1) I spent maybe about 5 minutes typing up this post without using any type of dictionary. Your logic fails
2) If you had read anything I said, you will once again realize your logic fails
3) It does make sense to me, but I will be starting my graduate studies in mathematics/statistics in 3 months, I'm sorry you couldn't comprehend it

QUOTEThat is not logic. Logic =/= probability. That statement is not logical.

That sir, who I have had almost complete respect before you posted this, is a modus ponens statement with probability embedded in the consequent or conclusion. Tell me why I can't do that and hence it is not a statement of logic. It may not be formal to approach this, but the way we interpret logic is a man-made creation just like what I did up there. In a matter of fact, if I didn't include the probability statement up there, then we assume with probability 1 that it is the case.

-----

Thank you Fishman for being the perfect shiny example why we need a logic test. Thank you for being GBAtemp's fool of the day. Because, I have clearly explained everything in so much detail your tiny brain couldn't even comprehend things I left in very basic terms. I now know why Deadly quit... People with the slightest amount of intelligence are of minority.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are looking at it wrong SifJar.

In statistics, we make inferences of unknown paramaters. We would first identify a Unit of Observations, then we would like to identify a population of interest that consists with our Unit of Observations. Within this population we will find a parameter of interest and identify several properties of this parameter such as (discreet/continious, type of measurement nominal/ordinal/interval/ratio) and then this parameter becomes in entity.

You looked at my modus ponens statement wrong, in modus ponens, you are given if A has occured then it is such that B occurs. Otherwise A -> B. Our Unit of Observations are people who use GBAtemp, the population would be the members of GBAtemp, the paramater of interest would be the proportion of people who make illogical posts and their ages are between 13-16. This unknown quantity is an entity. The figure of .8 (based on sample observations) I came up with was not trying to modify the modus ponens statement but instead was apart of the B statement in modus ponens.

A = An illogical poster
B = being between the ages 13-16 with the estimation of the unknown paramter which is an theoretical entity

Then you can see, it clearly is logic with a modus ponens argument.

It wouldn't be bad logic, the statement would be false if and only if we took 20 (this is an arbitrary large number) illogical posters and there is enough evidence such that the parameter is different than .8 (which would be a statistical test) of 13-16 year olds.

---

Like I said before, I had nearly full respect for you because you were one of the few who were intelligent. I realize there was slight ambiguity in my sentence on what exactly I was doing. But if you are still going to claim that is not logic, please specify why not so I can either rectify my statement or attempt to continue this argument.

---

On a side note, Fishman. This topic is not for you. Please leave your post there because it is great evidence why we need logic tests and also a freaking reading comprehension test.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
That is not logic it is an observation. As you called it "logic" you yourself failed.

It is quite obvious you regard yourself as a very intellgent person and there is nothing wrong with that I also think the same about myself, however, you also seem to think you are better than everyone else due to this high intelligence and also your age. Please explain why you think this, as I am an illogical 16 year old and can not comprehend such a notion.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please re-read what I had wrote the Pi.

QUOTE said:
I didn't make any inferences on people between ages 13-16, I made an inference on illogical posters. That's why affirming the consequent is bad logic.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand. I have been a well accomplished math tutor and I have been known to help just about anyone in mathematics because I explain things exceedingly well.

You people keep taking this statement as, If you are between ages 13-16, then you are an illogical poster. Please realize that statement is nothing what I said. Not even the slightest way possible. At least SifJar was able to understand up to this far which is part of the reason why I have always had respect for the guy.

I said if you are an illogical poster, chances are you are between 13-16. I am not making any inferences what so ever on people between 13-16 which is my point.

You guys are all failing at logic so bad, I mean you guys are horrible. I thought at least half of GBAtemp would have understood this.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really take offense to that statement, though I will say that not every person between the ages 13-16 are illogical. And most people are noobs at first anyways, and if they are smart enough, they'll learn from their mistakes. (Like me)

And you care about this why? The internet is where most illogical people are. And I've seen worst.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian is the only user I know so far who will understand what that statement says. This shit is supposed to be common sense.

The pi, please keep your post there, I know you have the capability of realizing your mistake, but I need it to be an example with fishman p. I realize that you see yourself as a very intelligent person, but if you cannot comprehend basic logic, the only thing you are demonstrating is that you are fancy at words.

QUOTE said:
I don't really take offense to that statement, though I will say that not every person between the ages 13-16 are illogical.

And you care about this why? The internet is where most illogical people are. And I've seen worst.
Jesus...
You are the third person who has mistaken what I had posted. I didn't say people between the ages 13-16 are illogical. OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG...

I will break this shit down:

Modus Ponens:

A ---> B

----

Out of the 4 posters so far, there is a large probability that only 1 has understood my statement, else no one did. This proportion, although too small is at max 25% of the sample size understood what my post was saying else 0%. While this sample size is way to low to make an inference on GBAtemp in general especially because the sample sizes weren't random, it was people who wanted to post.

Why does there need to have logic? Gbatemp hosts a wide variety of discussion boards. Discussions require logic otherwise it's an ass fest. People think they know logic and it is impossible to get anywhere with them because quite frankly, they can't comprehend why they are wrong. I have examples within the last few days (which I have mentioned in my post) where Gbatemp users are just epic failing at the discussion and it makes me want to punch babies(being sarcastic) (I'm sure some gbatemp users like Rydian know what I mean)

This statement is false if and only if A is true and B is false. My statement, "If you are an illogical poster, with some unknown probability you are between the ages 13-16" Sifjar questioned my use of probabilitys in a modus ponens statement, but I can assure him and everyone else that the probability is an actual entity and not part of the modus ponens statement itself. I had to incorporate that into the statement because as many posters have said, not all illogical posts are between the ages 13-16.

A = You are an illogical poster
B = With some probability you fall between 13-16

You guys are fucking up my statement, you guy logically saying:

B ----> A

which is completely different and is exactly my point (this type of error is called affirming the consequent which I have mentioned in the first post but you guys have a reading comprehension of a 3rd grader)
You guys keep reversing it and saying People between the ages of 13-16 are illogical posters which is completely a different thing logically.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I still don't understand why you would need a "Logic Test". The internet is where the most illogical people are found, they either learn from there mistakes or don't.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, so you want a logic test to see who is and isn't logical.... Then what? You can't exactly kick them off the site, being illogical isn't against the rules.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Rydian is the only user I know so far who will understand what that statement says. This shit is supposed to be common sense.

The pi, please keep your post there, I know you have the capability of realizing your mistake, but I need it to be an example with fishman p. I realize that you see yourself as a very intelligent person, but if you cannot comprehend basic logic, the only thing you are demonstrating is that you are fancy at words.

QUOTE said:
I don't really take offense to that statement, though I will say that not every person between the ages 13-16 are illogical.

Jesus...
You are the third person who has mistaken what I had posted. I didn't say people between the ages 13-16 are illogical. OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG...

I will break this shit down:

Modus Ponens:

A ---> B

This statement is false if and only if A is true and B is false. My statement, "If you are an illogical poster, with some unknown probability you are between the ages 13-16" Sifjar questioned my use of probabilitys in a modus ponens statement, but I can assure him and everyone else that the probability is an actual entity and not part of the modus ponens statement itself. I had to incorporate that into the statement because as many posters have said, not all illogical posts are between the ages 13-16.

A = You are an illogical poster
B = With some probability you fall between 13-16

You guys are fucking up my statement, you guy logically saying:

B ----> A

which is completely different and is exactly my point (this type of error is called affirming the consequent which I have mentioned in the first post but you guys have a reading comprehension of a 3rd grader)
You guys keep reversing it and saying People between the ages of 13-16 are illogical posters which is completely a different thing logically.
Yes, I mistaken it, I'm sorry.

Though I still say a Logic Test isn't needed. I mean seriously, do you really expect their to be logical people on the internet? And even if they pass the test, their could be times when they act illogically.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak, age 14, another member who has proven my point.

BobTheJoeBob said:
OK, so you want a logic test to see who is and isn't logical.... Then what? You can't exactly kick them off the site, being illogical isn't against the rules.

QUOTEThough I still say a Logic Test isn't needed. I mean seriously, do you really expect their to be logical people on the internet? And even if they pass the test, their could be times when they act illogically.

It's good to act illogically because it offers a chance to see your mistakes and improves intelligence overall (since logic is pretty much the root of everything). I'm not saying people need to hardcore learn logic, I'm saying people need common sense. So my flame and spam come from people who are just illogical. People claiming the PSN was hacked using CFW, then other people backing them up with bad logical statements.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wizerzak said:
It is completely illogical to post that ANY 13-16 year olds are illogical anyway. Your fishing, for trolls.
That's not what he said. He observed that illogical posters have a high probability of being in the 13-16 year old age group.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
Wizerzak, age 14, another member who has once again saw my statement of logic wrong.

I did not see it wrong. I am merely stating that it is pointless to call people illogical as it doesn't gain you anything and just causes arguments within the community.

Hi everyone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
fascinating...

if A, then B. it is A, so B will occur. -> that is logic.
if A, then B. it is B, so A has occurred. -> that isn't logic, because it is impossible to know whether A has occurred to make B happen.

let me explain this with an example:

if a terrorist crashes an airplane into a building (A), the building will fall down (B). -> makes perfect sense.
a building has fallen down (B), therefore a terrorist must have crashed an airplane into it (A). -> i sincerely hope you see this makes no sense whatsoever.

if you still don't get it, you're stupid.

D

Deleted_171835

Every forum you go to will have its fair share of idiots or in this case illogical people.

There's nothing you can do about it. It's silly to create a test just to judge whether one is illogical or not and whether they are allowed on the forums. If it bothers you that much, feel free to leave.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone said:
fascinating...

if A, then B. it is A, so B will occur. -> that is logic.
if A, then B. it is B, so A has occurred. -> that isn't logic, because it is impossible to know whether A has occurred to make B happen.

let me explain this with an example:

if a terrorist crashes an airplane into a building (A), the building will fall down (B). -> makes perfect sense.
a building has fallen down (A), therefore a terrorist must have crashed an airplane into it (A). -> i sincerely hope you see this makes no sense whatsoever.

if you still don't get it, you're stupid.

Thanks Hi Everyone and pyrmon24 for explaining what I was trying to show. I was being overwhelmed by everyone taking my statements wrong.

QUOTEIt's good to act illogically because it offers a chance to see your mistakes and improves intelligence overall (since logic is pretty much the root of everything). I'm not saying people need to hardcore learn logic, I'm saying people need common sense. So my flame and spam come from people who are just illogical. People claiming the PSN was hacked using CFW, then other people backing them up with bad logical statements.

I am just repeating this statement. to keep updated.

Like most adults, I have important stuff to get to. It's obvious who the illogical posters are and amazingly my statement came out nearly true such that they were between the ages 13-16. My point has settled in and better, there are a few people who actually get where I was going with it. I am satisfied. I will only be posting if this thread gets overrun by more illogical posters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: balls over